Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Size For A 19" Rim

SunnySingh

Hiya there guys! Went to order some rims today for ma 51 plate black Lex. Have got it lowered on Eibachs with a 30mm drop. Was gunna get these rims and tyres for £1000

http://www.speedzone.co.uk/acatalog/DRIVER-Black.JPG

Dimensions being 8x19" , 5x114.3 and having an offset of 40. Having a big problem with the tyres because the place where I'm getting them from (Motor-World) is only giving me 215-35-19 Yoko Parada Spec II tyre. Asked about upgrades to a bigger prof. tyre but there charging me £200 !.

I don't want no rubbing at all if possible. What do you guys think? Should I go with 215-35 or 225-25 or even 235-35?

All helps much appreciated guys. Many Thanx again

I'd say 225/35R19. With the offset of 40 you may need to do some minor arch shaving or rolling at the back, depending on how beefy the tyre walls are.

Thanx for the advice again dude. the technical dude at the store said the width was actually more like 7.5". Will this have an effect on the possible rubbing problems? I would like to avoid any type of rolling or shaving.

The other site is offering me is 215's and 235's. Do you think there will be a major problem using either of these tyres? Would a spacer help things?

Has anybody else had similar probs on a rim like this?

The rim width is not related to tyre rubbing, of course the rim itself can be so wide it touches suspension parts.

The things to worry about are tyre width and offset.

Stock tyre width is 215 mm, stock offset is 50 mm.

1. Offset 40 means the whole wheel including tyre is going to be sticking 10 mm more outward. Adding spacers will reduce offset in other words the wheel and tyre will stick out more.

2. With tyre width 225 your tyre will stick out 5mm more on the outside and 5mm more on the inside of the wheel.

Combining these two, the outside of your tyres will be 15 mm closer to the wheel arch and there'll be -5 mm (=more room) difference on the inside.

With 235 mm tyre width you'll need a 50mm offset if you do not want to roll or shave the rear arches. (and 45 mm for 225 tyres, and 40 mm for 215 tyres). If your car is not lowered you may have a little more room.

So the 215's are on the safe side with those rims. For 225's i'd prefer an offset of 45 unless you want to modify the rear wheel arches for a more aggressive look.

Success!

RX-Men-8

How invasive are rolling the arches ? Do you have to go in with a hammer and angle grinder? I was looking for the post where it shows you how to do it but can't find it. I'm a bit worried about what Gord said cuz I got ma heart set on these rims

If I was to do it and shave the fenders do you think I could get a 225 or maybe even a 235 on?

Thanx again RX dude. . Peace (",)

How invasive are rolling the arches ? Do you have to go in with a hammer and angle grinder? I was looking for the post where it shows you how to do it but can't find it. I'm a bit worried about what Gord said cuz I got ma heart set on these rims

If I was to do it and shave the fenders do you think I could get a 225 or maybe even a 235 on?

Thanx again RX dude. . Peace (",)

My 19'S was ET42 and did rub, But i have 3mm taken off the wheel itself(depending on the wheel) so 19inch= 8j= 45,ET fit no problems, i have 225/40/19 tyres on.

To roll the arch, is very hard to do yourself (need the arch rolling tool) the chance that your paint will crack is very high, even if you get a company to do the work for you, about £60-£90 par arch, that will not guarantee the paint will be ok. some say just take a grinder to the inner arch, but doing this you will have to grind through some of the welds.

Mine rubbed on 8x19s 225/35s upfront with a 45mm offset, but i've dumped it over 3" or so lol

I'll be running around 37-40mm offset with same drop and tyres soon...

:shifty:

Gord how did you have 3mm taken off the actual rim? Did you just grind away some the metal from the middle coping where the nuts go on the alloy? Will that affect the integrity of the alloy?

What do you guys think about what RX dude said? Shall I just put 215's on it and risk it? What do you guys think the ride quality will be like?

Cheers again ladz.

Gord how did you have 3mm taken off the actual rim? Did you just grind away some the metal from the middle coping where the nuts go on the alloy? Will that affect the integrity of the alloy?

What do you guys think about what RX dude said? Shall I just put 215's on it and risk it? What do you guys think the ride quality will be like?

Cheers again ladz.

Took the wheels to machine/shop to have them done :D as i said B4, Its down to the alloy wheel, and how much you have to take away without affecting the wheel, Anees had his wheels done 38ET but we could only take 3mm off the wheel he has :D

If you just put 215's on and risk it, it will end up costing you money to put right if it dont work, dont thay make the alloy with the right off set ?

The wheel is nu to the market and so ain't on the companies website yet. I asked the store where I'm getting them from and they goes thats the only offset they do.

I can't think of any other 19s that I like except for Konigs which are impossible to get! Do you think that slapping some 18s on instead with offset of 40 and 30mm drop will make a big difference?

The wheel is nu to the market and so ain't on the companies website yet. I asked the store where I'm getting them from and they goes thats the only offset they do.

I can't think of any other 19s that I like except for Konigs which are impossible to get! Do you think that slapping some 18s on instead with offset of 40 and 30mm drop will make a big difference?

I had the same problems with the 19's most will not fit :o 18's are good more will fit :D try to get 42et if you want the look, some wheel dealers will tell you anything for a sale, one sold me a set of 18's, when i got them (post) et was 35et, when i rang, he said yes will fit as he had fitted some to is200 B4, When put on my car, well thay was well out of the arch, so just make sure you get the right offset.

Thanx dude for the advice. Motor World goes that they'll fit nice on Is200 but I think the problem will arrive when I lower it. Wats the bad thing about having 215s on 19 inch rims cuz everyone seems to steer away from them...? The tyres I'm getting is Yokohama Paradas Spec II

If tyre wear is bare minimal then I don't mind a bit of rubbing. I only do bout 7000 miles per yr n e ways.

If its minimal then ****** it then I'll hopefully get the alloy trimmed by 2-3mm get that 42 offset

******* means fook it

Thanx dude for the advice. Motor World goes that they'll fit nice on Is200 but I think the problem will arrive when I lower it. Wats the bad thing about having 215s on 19 inch rims cuz everyone seems to steer away from them...? The tyres I'm getting is Yokohama Paradas Spec II

If tyre wear is bare minimal then I don't mind a bit of rubbing. I only do bout 7000 miles per yr n e ways.

If its minimal then ****** it then I'll hopefully get the alloy trimmed by 2-3mm get that 42 offset

******* means fook it

Most 19's are 8j or 8.5j, you 215 tyres are just to thin for the wheel or the wheel is to fat for the 215 tyre :D

Rubbing on the front will be on the plastic inner arch, rubbing on the back will be on the metal arch, porb fooking the tyre and the arch, then you can have the arch rolled and painted at the same time :D

I just get this feeling that you are going to go and get the 19's anyway :D

Ah man your making me feel bad now Gord. I'll probably end up going for the 18"ers after scaring me! You tink that a 225/40/18 will be good enuf on this rim (18x7 offset 40 again) without absolutely no rubbing problems?

P.S I'm proper wounded, I really wanted 19s

Ah man your making me feel bad now Gord. I'll probably end up going for the 18"ers after scaring me! You tink that a 225/40/18 will be good enuf on this rim (18x8 offset 40 again) without absolutely no rubbing problems?

P.S I'm proper wounded, I really wanted 19s

Im not sure you will 100% have no rubbing problems with 40et on 18's and lowering :o you just might get away with it.

As for the 19's ive been through it mate, i really have, all the wheels that i wanted would not fit, but if you want to have your arches done thay will, my car is to new for that (thats what i think) so went for some that would fit, as i had seen the on another members car :D but he had had the arches done, so thats why i had to have my wheels done as i did :blink:

Nothing worse that getting nice new set of wheels :D then having to take them off coz dont fit :winky:

Thanx alot boss. U made me see sense, I am now allowing the bling factor and going more for practicality. 18 inches it is then with a 30mm drop. Has n e body got any suggestions for a decent tyre size on 18x7 on a 40 offset.

P.S Many thanx again Gord.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links