Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Break Discs

Hi guys,

Can anybody enlighten me on how to remove the rear break discs?? Do I need to remove the rather large nut in the centre of the the disc? (I hope not, since I don't have a socket set that big.... :blink: )

Thanks,

S.

from what i remember no, but it was about 5 years ago i did mine. remove caliper, loosen the rear brake drum shoes ( take out the black rubber bung and look for the star wheel ( at about 9 o clock i think) then it should come straight off - might need to tap it off tho

Will probably need alot of force to prise the disc off as it'll probably be rusted on. But as Fluff says just take off the caliper and the disc just come straight off. But be carefull not to pull of the handbrake shoes.

It feels like it's welded on at the moment. How do I losen the drum brake shoes? I think I've found the star wheels, one at 3 o'clock and one at 9 o'clock. Does that sound right?? It's just that it doesn't look like I can unscrew them or anything....

Cheers guys.

Stuart.

it is letter O that you need to look for so it is a 6 oclock position.

Now really dont take this the wrong way but if you dont know how the brakes work/remove/ adjust them etc then is it really a good idea to DIY??

Now really dont take this the wrong way but if you dont know how the brakes work/remove/ adjust them etc then is it really a good idea to DIY??

Yeah, your damn straight. I shouldn't be allowed near mechanical objects.

I understand whats going on now. Had a closer look at that diagram.

So i've losened the star wheel all the way, but now I think it's a case of the discs being rusted on. I can't budge them. Gonna hit them with a large hammer in a min, wish me luck.

(I could SO get a job as a mechanic)

S.

Ha ha sounds like me. Doesn't stop me trying though. My rear brakes seem to sticking on a bit and I've been faffing around with them. May be replacing disks too next. I'll have to ask you how as you'll be an expert by then ;) :D

Yeah, your damn straight. I shouldn't be allowed near mechanical objects.

I understand whats going on now. Had a closer look at that diagram.

So i've losened the star wheel all the way, but now I think it's a case of the discs being rusted on. I can't budge them. Gonna hit them with a large hammer in a min, wish me luck.

(I could SO get a job as a mechanic)

S.

With mine mate I had to keep giving them a good wack to get them off. Becareful that you dont hit the guard around it as you could bend it onto the disc. If you do just bend it back mate.

Also read the thread that I linked to with regards the other guts problem with the brake shoes and the pin being too long :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links