Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More Alignment Woes......

Hi,

Last December I had my two front Bridgestone Potenzas on my 2002 IS200 replaced having purchased it from Lexus Bristol the previous March. About 8000 miles wear. Both were worn completely on the inside.

Pro Tyre in Bristol replaced them and did a geometry check. Feeling somewhat miffed I took it back to Lexus Bristol as I felt it was probably sold to me in this condition.They did their own check. These were their results - http://www.batharsenal.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...ages/Wheel1.jpg

Now 9000 miles later I find myself in exactly the same position! Both Potenzas are in the same condition as the others went. Here is a picture of the front offside - http://www.batharsenal.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...es/DSCF0063.jpg

So today I was back in Lexus Bristol. The service receptionist tried to explain they are prone to being knocked out of line due to kerbing and speed humps etc. I explained I don't kerb my pride and joy, neither do I launch it off speed humps. It is booked in for another check on Thursday.

So I suppose basically I am asking am I just being over fussy or do I have a problem that has not been rectified? I just seem to think there has to be something wrong when there is so much wear on the inner part of the tyres and loads of tread left on the rest of it.

Or do I resign myself to forking out for front tyres every 9 - 10 months?

Your views would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Do a search on "Geometry" in the IS200 subforum and you will find loads of threads on this very topic.

Basically the set up specified by Lexus to their dealers is just plain wrong. Take the car to the Dr and he will sort you out :D

Do a search on "Geometry" in the IS200 subforum and you will find loads of threads on this very topic.

Basically the set up specified by Lexus to their dealers is just plain wrong. Take the car to the Dr and he will sort you out :D

MacRS200, do you know how much approx the Dr charges ?

It depends on the number of adjustments carried out but think it is about £65 for the lot.

WIM prices in Gold

Edited by peter026

It appears the car has front camber values that are in conflict? the nsf is - the osf is + so / / to the vertical... Some may argue that a + positive camber will only wear the outside of the tyre, well the steer axis is a little more complicated and this position could wear the tyre during a lock only... this is how.

Typical Castor values range from 0 to +10 degrees.

Camber Change - If a wheel has positive Castor, then the top of the wheel leans into the corner whichever way it is steered. The change in Camber is approximately:

Camber Change = Castor x steer-angle / 60 (measured in degrees)

Example: Camber Change = 6 degrees

Steer-angle = 10 degrees

Then:- Camber Change = 6 x 10/ 60 = 1.0 degree

The change in camber that results from positive Castor is beneficial to the grip of both front wheels during cornering, providing it isn't excessive. A negative Castor (top of the steer-axis leaning forwards) changes the wheel Camber angles in the 'wrong' direction during cornering, this is not desirable.

It appears the car has front camber values that are in conflict? the nsf is - the osf is + so / / to the vertical... Some may argue that a + positive camber will only wear the outside of the tyre, well the steer axis is a little more complicated and this position could wear the tyre during a lock only... this is how.

Camber Change - If a wheel has positive Castor, then the top of the wheel leans into the corner whichever way it is steered. The change in Camber is approximately:

Steer-angle = 10 degrees

The change in camber that results from positive Castor is beneficial to the grip of both front wheels during cornering, providing it isn't excessive. A negative Castor (top of the steer-axis leaning forwards) changes the wheel Camber angles in the 'wrong' direction during cornering, this is not desirable.

Thanks for your replies guys. As I said earlier the car goes in on Thursday - I will be very interested to hear what they say, although I can hear it now....."you must have kerbed it sir or hit some speed humps hard..."

I really want to get this sorted. I cannot afford to throw good money after bad. I might even consider a trip to Watford to see the Doctor! How far in advance do I have to book an appointment?

Steer-angle = 10 degrees

Thanks for your replies guys. As I said earlier the car goes in on Thursday - I will be very interested to hear what they say, although I can hear it now....."you must have kerbed it sir or hit some speed humps hard..."

I really want to get this sorted. I cannot afford to throw good money after bad. I might even consider a trip to Watford to see the Doctor! How far in advance do I have to book an appointment?

Send him a pm :winky:

Steer-angle = 10 degrees

Hi

I had exactly the same issue with an X plate Is200 sport which I purchased from Lexus Leicester. I was getting through tyres every 10 months and was on the verge of selling the car and was being told that I had kerbed it etc. It had been checked and adjusted by both Lexus Leicester and Birmingham on 5 seperate occassions over a 3 year period, with NO improvement at all and at their rediculous prices. I did get the first one for free.

As a last resort I took it to a vehicle repair centre and they adjusted the whole geometry using old fashion methods ie not computerised and I have now done 17,000 miles with completely even wear on all four tyres and still more miles to come.

They commented that there were no obvious signs of it ever having been adjusted before, so it does make you wonder what Lexus actually do for the money.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted!!

Steer-angle = 10 degrees

Thanks guys for all your help/suggestions. Call me mad but I am going to see the Doctor in Watford next Friday. A four hour + round trip but I am sure it will be worth it. Spoke to Tony today on the phone. Four new Goodyear F1s arranged and the geometry check.

Sad that I can't trust the Lexus dealer to sort it but like I said tyres every 9 - 10 months is not good! Will post next week with update.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Tony at STS Watford today. What a refreshing change to take my car to someone who genuinely cares about the service he provides and who knows what he is talking about!

The geometry was checked and sure enough was way out in places. I won't pretend to fully understand what Tony explained to me (geometry was never my strong point!) but suffice to say the adjustments were made and four new Goodyear F1s fitted. It already feels a whole lot better.

Thanks once again Tony. So nice not to be fobbed off with 'you must have kerbed it..........etc etc'.

I will hopefully see you in 2000 miles time for the check up.

To anyone else in this predicament - go on speak to Tony. My round trip was 250 miles but totally worth it.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links