Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Overdrive Button?

thanks!

and what does the overdrive button do?

It basically stays in each gear for longer. Still not the perfect change though. The fastest way to drive the auto is to use the actual gears and keep it above 4500 revs.

thanks!

and what does the overdrive button do?

It basically stays in each gear for longer. Still not the perfect change though. The fastest way to drive the auto is to use the actual gears and keep it above 4500 revs.

But what is the difference with the power button then?

with the actual gears do you mean in D or 1 / 2 / 3

In most cars the overdrive button will also kick the car down a gear when cruising on the motorway, my partners Starlet GT would go down to 3rd when on the motorway instead of cruising in 4th, keeps revs higher for hill climbing etc.

Doesn't anyone read the manual or anymore?

Anyway, Sport means the gears change at higher revs and quicker.

Snow means the car will start in 2nd gear and change at lower revs and slower.

Overdrive just stops the car using it's top gear, in this case 4th so the car will only use gears 1-3, though for climbing or anything similar a well trained right foot can control the autobox into any gear the driver wishes whether 3rd or 2nd.

L means it will only use 1st.

2 means it will only use 1st and 2nd.

You will probably never need to use these but their intention is for engine braking (like making sure the car doesnt go above 30 when going down a hill, like in a manual you'd keep it in 2nd or 3rd) or occasionally for towing if the car can't decide and keeps going between 3rd and 4th.

Doesn't anyone read the manual or anymore?

Anyway, Sport means the gears change at higher revs and quicker.

Snow means the car will start in 2nd gear and change at lower revs and slower.

Overdrive just stops the car using it's top gear, in this case 4th so the car will only use gears 1-3, though for climbing or anything similar a well trained right foot can control the autobox into any gear the driver wishes whether 3rd or 2nd.

L means it will only use 1st.

2 means it will only use 1st and 2nd.

You will probably never need to use these but their intention is for engine braking (like making sure the car doesnt go above 30 when going down a hill, like in a manual you'd keep it in 2nd or 3rd) or occasionally for towing if the car can't decide and keeps going between 3rd and 4th.

OK. Now I am confused. I assumed he ment the Sport button as there are only two buttons on my Auto. Sport (ect) and Snow. Where is the Overdrive on the IS. Have seen it on other cars alright but it's not in my car.

with the actual gears do you mean in D or 1 / 2 / 3

Yes. Keep the revs high. Above 4500 if you can and you will really feel the power of the VVTi system working. You might have noticed with your foot to the floor that just as the car feels like it is about to really take off it changes gear. It is slightly better with the Sport (ECT) button on but you can control it best with the gears.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links