Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Headlight Bulbs For Is200

Hi All,

Just as the title suggests, can anyone reccomend the best Best Headlight Bulbs for IS200, I have seen a couple of sets on ebay but not sure of the quality. Dont mind paying a bit extra for bright white light!

As my current ones provide a poor dipped beam quality.

I've just bought a pair of Osram Silverstar bulbs, which claim to be 50% brighter than standard halogens. They seem brighter to me and they do produce a much whiter light than standard bulbs. However, most LOC members will probably recommend you go for an HID upgrade kit. I'll be getting one in the New Year, once I can afford it, as they are £230.

Simon

Im not looking more than £20! Thanks for the reply. Where did you get your bulbs from?

Thanks

I bought them from Autobulbs direct and the cost was £23.(Click on upgrade Xenon bulbs) I'll be out in the countryside tonight, instead of city lighting, so I'll be able to get a better idea of how they perform.

Simon

autoexpress iss. 938 did a product test on bulbs, the best in the standard category was the hella standard with a 'beam' rating of 75...best in the plus 30% category was Halfords brilliance rating of 97...the plus 50% was Halfords super brilliance with a rating of 107...the 'blue' category was osram cool blue with 82...there is a brand new bulb on the market which they tested but didn't include because they only had 1 set and were unable to check consistancy with multiple bulbs, and this is philips extreme power, it had a rating of 146 and gave in excess of 80% over standard....

btw the osram silver star was discribed as "a major disappointment for osram's flagship bulb, as it delivered and average below the firms plus 30% lamps. Quality was the cause - one bulb barely managed to beat the standard unit. Not what we'd expect from a big supplier", their words not mine (alan partridge)

so my choice would be the philips extreme power, or the Halfords super brilliance

edit spelling "philips x-treme power"

don't think they do hb3 or hb4 though yet

btw the osram silver star was discribed as "a major disappointment for osram's flagship bulb, as it delivered and average below the firms plus 30% lamps. Quality was the cause - one bulb barely managed to beat the standard unit. Not what we'd expect from a big supplier", their words not mine (alan partridge)

That was for the twin filament fitting (H4). For the single filament H7, the Osram came out best (Tested more recently). However, they have not done a test on the 9006/HB4 fitment. Halfords does not seem to do its super brilliance in the 9006 fitment, although for some reason it does have it in the 9005 (Main beam) fitment

Perhaps the Ring +50 is the best bet?

more recent?. iss.938 is 2 weeks old. did they do another test after this issue?

(h4) the ring ultraxenon +50 was unrated "due to serious glare and only moderate beam pattern. in fact one of the bulbs was the worst tested for oncoming traffic."

seems a bit hit and miss getting a perfect matching set of bulbs

more recent?. iss.938 is 2 weeks old. did they do another test after this issue?

My mistake - was just looking at the web reviews, not the actual mag

(h4) the ring ultraxenon +50 was unrated "due to serious glare and only moderate beam pattern. in fact one of the bulbs was the worst tested for oncoming traffic."

seems a bit hit and miss getting a perfect matching set of bulbs

I saw two sets of reviews, one for H4 and one for H7, IIRC. They produced different winners! I've only put the silverstars in as a a temp measure until I can afford an HID upgrade kit. However, looking at my beam pattern, it seems awfully low, even with the adjustment dial set to "0" so I'm wondering if part of my problem is the headlights aren't actually aligned properly.

autoexpress iss. 938 did a product test on bulbs,

so my choice would be the philips extreme power, or the halfords super brilliance

I read that in the shop and being a cheapskate scotsman took a photo of the page on my phone so i could go and buy them.

picture didnt come out and by the time i got back to the newsagents it was sold out.

Glad you posted that cos im going to order the bulbs from Halfords.

just been to halford they have a two for one offer on super brilliance but i dont know which (H) rating fits the is200, can any offer some advice.

im after main headlight upgrades after poor vis in the dark that nearly killed me

cheers

si

For dipped beam, you need the 9006/HB4 fitting. Main beam is 9005/HB3. Both Halfords I've checked only have the 9005. The 9005 may fit in the 9006 hole (but you need to modify it), but the wattage is too high and may not be legal.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links