Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is it easy to fit another gas tank if you already one in the spare wheel area, but instead in another location coz mine in the spare wheel seem small i do loadsa miles and need filling up every 3 days!!!

is it easy to fit another gas tank if you already one in the spare wheel area, but instead in another location coz mine in the spare wheel seem small i do loadsa miles and need filling up every 3 days!!!

Every 3 days is the norm for me too. I am having mine serviced at TLS this afternoon and will ask them (they do LPG fitting now). I imagine that you can, but at the loss of even more boot space (if you carry your spare in the boot).

That will depend on the size of the Tank,

My Tank size is about 40lts and it sits up against the back seat. I only fill up once a week and avenge around 175miles on it filling up with £15.00 @ 39.9p/lt.. Is that good or not please advise from fellow Gas

users? :question:

Only Problem with a large Tank is that it eats up your boot space. Mine takes up half and only leaves enough for a folded Pram and a bit off Shopping. :crybaby:

Please Note that your Boot Mat will have to be cut in half or have a hinge fitted to allow access to the Spare Tyre.

Hope it Helps, And any response on the Mileage you guys get from your Gas would be appreciated.

My tank is 70ltr tank that takes approx 58ltr from empty (they only take 80% of their capacity as a safety thing) and I get about 250 miles from that doing approx 85% mundane motorway miles. Mileage is roundabout the 20mpg mark but I don't measure it often enough to be absolutely certain.

Oh yeah, you won't have to cut the Boot mat in half for the spare as that is where Usuf's tank is - you will need to get access to the tools amd jack etc tho :P

mine is in the spare wheel well but not sure how big it is but i normally fill up at around 30 ltrs but that when i start seeing the red light blinking now and then (still not got the hang of it yet so not taking any risks in leavign it dry)

Yeah my boot mat is cut but not all of it lol only slighty on one side.

Im going to see an LPG fitter tonight and get a few questiones answered and will let you guys know.

Can peeps provide pics of boots without an lpg system fitted to get an idea of how big the boot is as I seem to have a tank behind the back seat - is this the PETROL tank?? surely not ( sorry guys in new to the lexus so nto sure what the boot looks like )

usuf

Mk.2, got a 75 litre (60 usable) Stako toroidal tank in the wheel well, only lose about 1cm of boot depth. I get about 240 lead-footed miles (mixed, not much motorway) out of it.

Yes,tank behind rear seat on Mk 1 GS Sport is 80ltr.petrol tank.
Thanks for clearing this up.

ok been to see an LPG expert ( so he says) and he said that I have a 70 ltr tank ( 58ltr usuable ) and that the system is old also i tend to think when the red light starts blinking its near empty but its not it actually has about 15ltrs remaining.

so im gona let it run dry and fill up to the top. He also said if it fills up and not used up all ltrs as expected keep pushng more in as the floating sensor inside tends to move about and if gas is still going in but slowly carry on it should stop by it self or untill you get to about 55ltrs - is this correct?

if so that would mean that I fill up less hence why i need filling up every 3 days.

Im going to another fitter tomorrow to get another opinion.

ok been to see an LPG expert ( so he says) and he said that I have a 70 ltr tank ( 58ltr usuable ) and that the system is old also i tend to think when the red light starts blinking its near empty but its not it actually has about 15ltrs remaining.

so im gona let it run dry and fill up to the top. He also said if it fills up and not used up all ltrs as expected keep pushng more in as the floating sensor inside tends to move about and if gas is still going in but slowly carry on it should stop by it self or untill you get to about 55ltrs - is this correct?

if so that would mean that I fill up less hence why i need filling up every 3 days.

Your LPG fitter is correct - he has described exactly what I have to do. I rarely run it to empty as my regular routes mean I stop by Morrisons every 200 miles or so, meaning I fill up every 2 or 3 days. My light can blink after as few as 125-150 miles. Tends to blink constantly from about 180 - 190 miles. Around 55ltrs is correct, but it can depend when you fill up. Liquids are bigger when warmer so you get more fuel if you fill up when it's cold :hehe: unless I've got that round the wrong way of course. :tomato:

And yes, I was as surprised as you when I "discovered" the location of the petrol tank, when i was bored one day and started looking for mislaid money/tools etc. in the boot.

Your LPG fitter is correct - he has described exactly what I have to do. I rarely run it to empty as my regular routes mean I stop by Morrisons every 200 miles or so, meaning I fill up every 2 or 3 days. My light can blink after as few as 125-150 miles. Tends to blink constantly from about 180 - 190 miles. Around 55ltrs is correct, but it can depend when you fill up. Liquids are bigger when warmer so you get more fuel if you fill up when it's cold :hehe: unless I've got that round the wrong way of course. :tomato:

And yes, I was as surprised as you when I "discovered" the location of the petrol tank, when i was bored one day and started looking for mislaid money/tools etc. in the boot.

Thanks for confirming and yes the petrol tank is a bit of a shock!!! :huh: So far driven it 4 days now without filling and the red light is blinking now and then (mostly when i put my foot down then goes back to green) but not constantly on red.

One other thing how will I know when the gas is just about to run out or has run out :ohmy: ? other then not having any power left in the accelerator pedal (will the red light vanish or blink very fast or somthing?)

I was told by an LPG installer/ service expert, to never let it run dry, could cause you problems with switching over, so i tend to fill up when the red light if on (not blinking).. not sure how much will be left in tank (reserve so to say).

Quick Q guys, Has your car when switching over to LPG tipped /stalled :duh: :question: Meaning when i started it up and once warm (half temp) i run it get to about 3½k revs and it trip over, but no LPG goes through so just cuts out and stalls. ?? I restart her up again and put my foot down and then it trips over to gas fine and runs smoothly..

The LPG guy said that the system is a single point injection type and not up to the cars Hi-Tech ECU so sometimes it can not keep up with the car's VVTi comp etc.. So i am guessing that the VVti kicks in at about the same revs has the LPG trip is set at so it conflicts and stops the Gas, thus stalling it dead.? mind you it only does this in evenings on the way home not in the morning.

Sorry to hijack the thread but it's a LPG problem too :blush: So any guidance suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Diblpg.

I was told by an LPG installer/ service expert, to never let it run dry, could cause you problems with switching over, so i tend to fill up when the red light if on (not blinking).. not sure how much will be left in tank (reserve so to say).

Quick Q guys, Has your car when switching over to LPG tipped /stalled :duh: :question: Meaning when i started it up and once warm (half temp) i run it get to about 3½k revs and it trip over, but no LPG goes through so just cuts out and stalls. ?? I restart her up again and put my foot down and then it trips over to gas fine and runs smoothly..

The LPG guy said that the system is a single point injection type and not up to the cars Hi-Tech ECU so sometimes it can not keep up with the car's VVTi comp etc.. So i am guessing that the VVti kicks in at about the same revs has the LPG trip is set at so it conflicts and stops the Gas, thus stalling it dead.? mind you it only does this in evenings on the way home not in the morning.

Sorry to hijack the thread but it's a LPG problem too :blush: So any guidance suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Diblpg.

was told by the fitter last night that if you happen to be driving and it runs outs just switch over to petrol and should be fine but dont leave it for a long time otherwise you might hear a nasty bang when you put your foot down hard! ( thats just scary alone!) he said the car should be fine as long as you quickly turn over to petrol.

Your other point about starting up and stalls I have had that but only when i started the car in my 1st couple of occasions but never after works all the time. the only time i had it stall was when i was playing with the switch from gas to petrol and back again quickly the car system dont like that ( dont ask my why i did it stupid me) :blush: .

Cheers

Diblpg.

was told by the fitter last night that if you happen to be driving and it runs outs just switch over to petrol and should be fine but dont leave it for a long time otherwise you might hear a nasty bang when you put your foot down hard! ( thats just scary alone!) he said the car should be fine as long as you quickly turn over to petrol.

Your other point about starting up and stalls I have had that but only when i started the car in my 1st couple of occasions but never after works all the time. the only time i had it stall was when i was playing with the switch from gas to petrol and back again quickly the car system dont like that ( dont ask my why i did it stupid me) :blush: .

BANG ! :o :o :crybaby: That sounds scarry, will try to find out from the service guy about this problem hopefuly it's only to do with the VVTi timing conflict nothing major I hope.

Dibslpg

Ps when you are running on LPG do you get a faint Gas smell in the car? :question:

Its only that i an begining to get it in the car from time to time and it starts to give you a headache after bit, i Just put the vents on to recycle now on.

Cheers

Dibslpg

No sorry no gas smell, I have only had the car for a week hence why im curious about lpg and the whole set up

Thanks anyway mate, What type of system has the car been installed with please?

Multi-point or Single point?

I would recommend having Flash-Lube Installed (if not already done so) Basically this is a lubricant which protects the valves seats and the top end of the engine. have a Look on eBay for the Kit less than £100 installed. Speak to the LPG expert. Its used alover Australia and came very highly recommened by all the LPG discussion groups etc..

What milage has your car done by the way?

No gas smell here. Romano Sequential Vapour Injection (multipoint) system. No problems when the system is switched over to petrol, but it can give a bit of a jerk if switching back to gas whilst still under acceleration.

By the way, if the gas runs out it switches to petrol automatically. Never been told not to run it dry, nothing in the instructions saying that either.

No sorry no gas smell, I have only had the car for a week hence why im curious about lpg and the whole set up

Thanks anyway mate, What type of system has the car been installed with please?

Multi-point or Single point?

I would recommend having Flash-Lube Installed (if not already done so) Basically this is a lubricant which protects the valves seats and the top end of the engine. have a Look on eBay for the Kit less than £100 installed. Speak to the LPG expert. Its used alover Australia and came very highly recommened by all the LPG discussion groups etc..

What milage has your car done by the way?

To be honest I dont know what system its been fitted with but the gas conversion was done in 2001 and is still runnign strong. I will find out when i go to see another lpg expert. as for a Flas-Lube i have read that it is advisable to get it fitted but again i have no clue will have to find out from the expert.

oh also run the car almost near empty and filled upto 45ltr (now thats a lot more like it) it was still going in but slowly but i was getting a bit worried so stopped at 45ltr better then 30ltr filling at a time.

Exobex - if yours is a Romano system, they are very good and a bit better than our single point systems - mind you the multi-point systems cost a bit more as well, hence the auto switching when it runs dry. You have the Jap-spec LS of LPG systems (with a hint of Italian thrown in)!

I Don't get gas smells either but mine has given a few blowbacks recently, but that is because my car needs new leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm - they are very worn. Mine doesn't have VVTI so that aint the cause, but it does stall occasionally if I switch between the two and the car isn't warm enough to cope, but as Usuf says, it's only occasionally so I just put it in neutral, restart and carry on as normal.

oh also run the car almost near empty and filled upto 45ltr (now thats a lot more like it) it was still going in but slowly but i was getting a bit worried so stopped at 45ltr better then 30ltr filling at a time.

You could've kept going, the pumps will grind to a halt when the tank's at 80% or thereabouts. You were probably almost there though, only another litre or so to go.

when you are running on LPG do you get a faint Gas smell in the car? :question:

Its only that i an begining to get it in the car from time to time and it starts to give you a headache after bit, i Just put the vents on to recycle now on.

Get the system serviced ASAP. Could be a leak. The only smell should be noticeable by people behind you, the exhaust fumes smell like someone's running a Calor gas heater!

Thanks fo rthe tips guys,

Mine system was installed back in 2001 a swell when these type were all the rage, the multipoint ones were new on the market and costing almost twice has much. Hence the owner had this system install at a cost of £1850.00 from Hull. Since then he never had it serviced or checked he covered over 80k. So when I got hold of it I had it serviced and the guy told me this has never been opened up, cos the original seals are still in place + I rang the original installer to double check and the owner too.

I will pester the service guy, has i only had it serviced 4 months back, but mainly LPG systems never really require servicing because they are a closed system. The main thing they do is change the filters, flush the tank and wd40 a few bit's from what i have read-up. they charge you a arm & leg for the privilege too :tsktsk: So i am not pleased when my system has not improved :tsktsk: and still has the same faint smell of gas creeping back in the cabin :o luckly none of us smoke :blink: :winky: .

Mine system automatically switches back to petrol when empty. has far has felling the trip over to LPG it is only felt when the system is very low on gas. you hardly notice when the tank is full.

Cheers

Dibslpg.

You could've kept going, the pumps will grind to a halt when the tank's at 80% or thereabouts. You were probably almost there though, only another litre or so to go.

aye i could have but the nozzel was vibrating and not sure if it would explode :blush: but next time I will try all the way and see if it halts.

Ive got 2 tanks in my mk 2

1 in the wheel well and 1 behind the seats between the wheel arches = 120litres which usually gives me just short of 500miles.

Still enough room to fit an adult mountain bike (with wheels removed)

Does tend to point the front of my car skyward though when fully loaded up with gas

oH and it takes a while to fill (its very cold at the moment)

recomend flashlubwe having had an engine fail on me before.

Don't have too much oil going in though or it sees your cat converters off (done that aswell)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links