Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back End All Over The Place

I have a GS300 MK1.

I have to be really careful when coming of roundabouts as if i push the accelerator to much the back end flys out!!!

Is this normal??

I have 235/45 17Y P Zeros

They have plenty of grip on them.

Any Ideas??

I know getting 18" deep dish at the back would maybe help but I dont have the £££ at the mo.

Cheers all./

Kryz

I have a GS300 MK1.

I have to be really careful when coming of roundabouts as if i push the accelerator to much the back end flys out!!!

Is this normal??

Any Ideas??

I know getting 18" deep dish at the back would maybe help but I dont have the £££ at the mo.

Cheers all./

Kryz

No it is not normal. Assuming all mechanical and pneumatic requirements are in place, then it is likely the Geometry is incorrect at the rear... By design "ALL" cars under-steer unless provoked by a displaced chassis albeit intentional or not.

i nearly wrote of my mk2 gs sport the 1st day i got it, i was goin around a bend and hit the gas and the car fish tailed so badly i had to stop in the middle of the road to get y breath back, its since happened several times and a lexus main dealer told me its a common problem

a lexus main dealer told me its a common problem

It is but for the wrong reason. Please do not accept this handling as normal.... Lexus developers were inventive with the chassis but there was a consequence "maintenance". We all accept over time the car will need servicing.... the tyres some air... maybe a shock absorber or two. But in the design there is intentional means to recover the Geometry. Most times this is ignored, not though ignorance but awareness (even at dealership levels).

I think Tony is spot on.

Mine used to do it, but you get used to it after a while and I've got 275 wide boots on he rear of mine.

I believe Tony adjusted the geometry on the rear of mine cost I was eating tyres on the rear.

I have a GS300 MK1.

Is this normal??

Any Ideas??

Cheers all./

Kryz

No it is not normal. Assuming all mechanical and pneumatic requirements are in place, then it is likely the Geometry is incorrect at the rear... By design "ALL" cars under-steer unless provoked by a displaced chassis albeit intentional or not.

Sorry Tony, but he didn't say normal driving..... he said "push the accelerator to much", well then this is what happens and can be alot of fun ..... whereas if it happened during "normal" driving then there must be a problem elsewhere :)

I have a GS300 MK1.

Is this normal??

Any Ideas??

Cheers all./

Kryz

Sorry Tony, but he didn't say normal driving..... he said "push the accelerator to much", well then this is what happens and can be alot of fun ..... whereas if it happened during "normal" driving then there must be a problem elsewhere :)

So the next set of factors "pneumatic slip tolerance".... Difficult topic to encompass without specific data but! :P

Tyre contact is subject to directional forces, an exploratory example map looks like this ....*.... each direction is a division of each reaction of the driver and the resultant factor depending on the drivers demands and the available reply within the pneumatic/chassis position. Each factor owns deliberate positive or negative replies to the driver.... Secret is, is to find what area needs addressing?

Hi,

How long have you owned the car? Have you found this problem well driving in bone dry conditions?.

If you were posting this when the weather was warmer and dryer id say you might need the geometry looked at if its happening in the dry.

TBH this time of year with a RWD car you have to be Very Careful because of the slippery road conditions.I went out in my car last night and i had to be careful because the road was slippery.Its all about squeezing the power on smoothly keeping traction.Your better off waiting until the car is straight before putting the power on in poor conditions.Ive keep the traction control on for a change and in a straight ive had the TRC light coming on at 40/50 mph when accelerating hard.

Chips.

Hi,

How long have you owned the car? Have you found this problem well driving in bone dry conditions?.

If you were posting this when the weather was warmer and dryer id say you might need the geometry looked at if its happening in the dry.

TBH this time of year with a RWD car you have to be Very Careful because of the slippery road conditions.I went out in my car last night and i had to be careful because the road was slippery.Its all about squeezing the power on smoothly keeping traction.Your better off waiting until the car is straight before putting the power on in poor conditions.Ive keep the traction control on for a change and in a straight ive had the TRC light coming on at 40/50 mph when accelerating hard.

Chips.

i forgot to mention that i now always drive in the wet with the car in SNOW mode and have noticed the car handles very well like this, is there any problem i could cause by constantly driving in snow mode? thanks

Hi,

Im no expert with autoboxs box there might be slightly more waer on the clutches because of more slip with the box,but TBH i wouldnt worry about it to much if you find the car easier/nicer to drive in the wet.On other car i used to own i did the same thing,driving in snow mode in the wet.There was no traction control on that one and i found i had better traction when pulling out of a junction what with moving and turning the car.The car also didnt have a limited slip diff.

Chips.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links