Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is 350 & Awd Versions - Why Not In The Uk?

alexr

Have just had a look at the spec of the IS 350 as marketed in the USA. What a fantastic car. Why is it not available here? Any chance it could be available in the future? Is it available in Europe?

I know that some may say that it moves into GS ground but I don't buy that argument.

The IS250 is also fantastic but it would be great to have the choice of the 3.5 V6 and the AWD versions available in the US.

I was thinking about a letter direct to Lexus in Japan to put the question. I wonder if they would do a 'one off'? :P

Engine Type 3.5-liter V6

Horsepower 306 @ 6,400 RPM [3]

Torque (lb-ft) 277 @ 4,800 RPM [3]

Displacement (L /cu in) 3.5 / 210

Valves 24

Cam Type Four cam

Electronic Timing Dual continuously Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)

Compression Ratio 11.8:1

Emissions Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV II)

Electronic Throttle Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i)

Performance

0 - 60 mph (sec) 5.3 [3] [4]

Top Track Speed (mph) 142 (electronically limited) [3] [5]

Alex

I know.....

The excellent local dealership are delivering my 07 250 Sport MM on the afternoon of 28th Feb - but I can't drive it until 12:00 midnight. (not bothered about the leather and I like the 18" wheels and the other extras that the Sport gives. And my wife will put up with the slightly stiffer ride because I tell her to!))

Ive done the sums and I have a good enough idea how much extra a 350 would be and this time round I would have been prepared to stretch it and have one. I could have a 3 series but don't want one (every bu**ers got one). Instead I will have to have a 250. I'm sure I will be very happy with it, but there will always be the thought at the back of my head about the extra sparkling performance that a 350 would have given. IS350 only available wherever it is sold worldwide with an auto. I'm a manual box man myself, however with Lexus auto build quality and 0-60 in 5.3 seconds an auto box would be just fine!

And I know that this is probably perverse, but I would have had the 350 rebadged as a 250, so that clients/customers didn't know!!! Thing is - I'd know at the lights.

And the silly thing is that Lexus GB are bringing in the ISF.

Great car - it will be too much money and too bling for me.

And how many will they sell? - 'Ahh but we need a halo model.' they will say.

Thats fine - bring in your halo model but fill out the range as well like most other manufactuers.

Read some of the reviews on the US car sites the 350 actually beats the 3 series by a very narrow margin.

I know the reasoning that Lexus GB use - 'When the IS200 was launched, everyone said oh please bring in the IS300. Didn't sell that many so the sums don't add up.'

Although I think that this time round the sums would add up up. Because it's a new car that has moved the game on significantly - it's a different class of car. You only have to read the posts on here where posters have said that in comparison to the IS250 the IS200 feels like a Go-Kart.

Yes, America is a big market for Lexus and so they get it all.

However, I hope that once the ISF is launched here that they (finally) relent and bring in the 350 and I'll suffer the punishment of ceasing the lease early and have a 350.

Although a glimmer of hope does exist - we already have the RX350 and it wont be long before we have a GS350 as that's what the US is getting. I don't need a GS it's too big, but an IS350 just right!

There must be others on here in my postion.....?

Wouldn't you have allsorts of difficulties initially with the MM system? All the legends would be in Japanese. I did remember seeing a video of a one in Hong Kong and it had a TV option on the DVD button. Would the UK software work with it?

What about spares for the 350's engine - they would also have to be imported....

Maybe it would be more sensible to buy a 250 and drop a 350 engine into it, or even perhaps just supercharge a 250?

Yes the 350 is available in Japan - and I could go to the extraordinary lengths to import a RHD IS350 from Japan - but

1) I'm sure it can be done but a lot of paperwork with the importing route, import duty, SVA etc....

2) I lease them for 3 years and end the end of the term it just goes back.

3) Because I lease them I can't buy a 250 and drop in a 350 engine or supercharge it!

3) I would like to be able to walk in to the dealership and sign for one.

As I said - I'm sure that I'll be delghted with my 250 when it's delivered and hope that in time the 350 is available in the UK dealerships, but thanks for the suggestion.

Wouldn't you have allsorts of difficulties initially with the MM system? All the legends would be in Japanese. I did remember seeing a video of a one in Hong Kong and it had a TV option on the DVD button. Would the UK software work with it?

What about spares for the 350's engine - they would also have to be imported....

Maybe it would be more sensible to buy a 250 and drop a 350 engine into it, or even perhaps just supercharge a 250?

True, mind you, some of the Altezza guys have managed it and yes the Satnav may work (GPS wise) but you would need to worry about the mapping software, lingo etc.

someones gonna tell me "aaah. That was different, 'cos....."

:lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links