Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

No Germany - Don't Do It!

aido

Taken from http://www.motorsports.autoblog.com/2007/0...ds-on-autobahn/

Three days ago we scoffed at an EU official's suggestion that a speed limit should be applied to the remaining sections of Germany's famous Autobahn that remain free to speed. While reports indicated that speed-loving Germans were up in arms over the idea, a recent poll shows that two in three believe a speed limit should be instituted. Whaa? Conducted by ZDF television, the poll showed that 54% of those surveyed favor an 80 mph speed limit, while 10% would like a limit even lower. There were still around 35% of the respondents, which would thankfully include German Transport Minister Wolfgang Tiefensee if he were polled, who don't want a speed limit at all.

The controversy over speed limits on the Autobahn stems from suggestions that an over excited right foot leads to lots of wasted energy, which obviously ain't too good for the environment. Interestingly, the survey also showed that 56% of those polled think flights should be taxed more because of their negative impact on the environment. Yeah, that's right! Cap our cars, we'll tax your planes!

Don't do it - otherwise I'll just come to Germany to drink your beer and take advantage of your women (or maybe even let them take advantage of me :lol:)

Knew that certain sections are restricted, thought most wasnt.

When we went to the ring last year, everyone was always booting it on the autobahns.

Oh well, supose we were lucky.

Some are, some aren't. Last year I rode my bike down through Germany and into the Czech Republic. Most of the autobahns we rode on were un-restricted (ain't that 'end of restriction' sign a wonderful sign to go past - twist the right wrist and watch the digital speedo jumping up in units of 10kph each time it refreshes (every 1/2 second)).

We were riding for the most part in the old East Germany where the population density is lower, so the roads are emptier. Maybe it's different in the old West Germany? When we came back up past Stuttgart towards Belgium it was pouring with rain and horrendous traffic anyway for most of the journey (think M25 at rush hour) so we didn't need to pay much attention to the actual limits anyway!

Main thing I noticed about Germany was the excellent standard of driving in general, both city and motorway. Well, that and the superb beer, general friendliness of the people, and pleasantly prosperous feel to the place. I liked it, and will be returning...

most of the Autobahn is restricted to 120kmh, even though the sections that are unrestricted do cover some distance, you can still be done for wreckless driving if your speed is considered to be excessive in relation to the other road users on the same stretch.........

i spent 15 years in Germany.......

Like those blueberry milkshakes at Daisies and those kebabs you liked from Fanzigs?

I started eating kebabs every so often now so will have to have a trip to Soltau to see what a good one is supposed to be like!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links