Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knocking Brakes On Is200 Sport

Star

Hi,

I've just returned from my dealer AGAIN!!!

A few months ago my new IS200 started making a knocking noise when I turned the wheel and reversed. At the 10,000mile service I complained and they ended up changing the front brake adjuster clips??! Got it home, couple of days later it starts knocking again. Took it back and they decided they would change the rear clips (despite the noise coming from the front)

<_<

Went back today and they've decided to change the calipers, as they may have worn before the new clips were fitted. :excl:

I maintain it is a steering problem- but who's going to listen to lil'ol me?

Anyone else had any similar probs? I'm concerned that a number of people have had their brakes re-newed under warranty- Are Lexus being highly efficient in their cases?

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I get the same problem with my IS. At first, I thought it was the spring not fully placed on the strut and so I upgraded my shocks to Bilstein HD. Well, it still has a knocking/popping sound when I press the brake while turning slow (eg. parking or reversing). I think it is brake related because when I don't press the brake but still do the same turning motions it does not pop/knock but only when the brake is applied. So, I don't know what it could be. Some suspension techs. told me that it could be the wheel bearing/hub or the brake caliper hardware such as the clips. I'm not sure if these are legitimate conclusions but it gets on my nerves when I hear these noises. I'm in California, USA but I signed up here to see other IS300 owners chat about their little excursions. What do you think? Anybody...

mexspeed

My IS300

Hurrah! I'm not the only one,...in England at least!

The dealer has done the work, dropped it back to me on Tuesday and the noise is gone :hocus-pokus: ! I hope it is a long term fix.

I think you should take yours back to the dealer, especially if its under warranty.

The noise you are describing is the same one I am referring to by the sounds of it. They replaced the calipers on the front wheels and it seems to have done the trick. Also, check that there is no noise coming from the rear brakes, as Lexus picked up on that too and replaced the clip/springs.

Good luck, I know how annoying that noise is. Make them fix it.

mine used to do the same - it was driving me mad i finally worked out that it was the brake pads moving in the caliper, so when you brake, the pad backing plate hits the caliper thus making the knocking sound, the little leaf springs are there to try and stop/ reduce this but it still happens.

I took the pads out, gave them a very good clean and used copper grease on all of the pad/caliper mating surfaces NOT ON THE BRAKE PAD MATERIAL BTW!! . That was about 10 months ago and since i have not heard any noises.

The grease just damps out the knock.

hope this helps.

I have the IS200SE and it has just started making the same noise (35,000 miles), only on cornering with the brakes depressed. Doesnt do it at all without the brakes.

Was considering booking it in, but as its only 5k till the next service (40,000) I'll wait, as from the above it doesnt sound too serious. Had images of either the wheels falling off or the brakes failing!!!

I have the same problem with my IS200. I told it to my dealer, and they say that it is a known problem with the IS200. they say it is dirt, then they cleaned it, and the noise was gone, but they also sayd that the noise would come back again. It is does no damage to the car, they said. :blush:

I've got an IS200 SE Auto with what sounds like the same knocking noise. The car's had four services now (46000 miles) and I've asked this to be sorted out each time.

The dealer has replaced front and rear shocks (2nd service), Calipers on the front (3rd service) and the front discs (4th service). Guess what; the noise came straight back after each "fix".

The car's coming upto three years old and I'd like to keep it for longer but am concerned this noise may cost me serious money after the warranty's finished.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links