Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Valve Noise And Engine Failing In Is200

B_I_T_O

Hello guys. I'm from Portugal, and I have a IS200 with 170.000kms.

First problem:

At 2500rpm, cold or normal drivind or hard driving, the car has a "lag", and sometimes the engine fails, like fuel cuts... It's at small rev band, around 2500rpm to 2550rpm, or 2450rpm to 2500rpm, something like that. Everytime he reaches the 2500rpm spot, he does that.

Second problem:

When VVT-i "kicks in", about 4200rpm, the engine make a valve noise a bit loud. If I'm with windows closed at 100kmh (60mph), I can ear it a little bit. In a street that the houses from both sides are close, even more loud I can ear it. I can't say what rpm the engine stop making the noise, but I think since the engine itself keeps making the normal reving noise, and I quit earing it, but I guess it should do the noise until the cut (6200rpm).

So people, can you help me?

What should I check or repare?

It's time to change the oil now, but I don't think it's the oil. I use the Motul 300V 10w40 100% Synthetic. Can that be a problem? Also last oil change, I changed the oil filter too.

Waiting for your help! Advanced thanks for the reading of this topic!

First problem:

At 2500rpm, cold or normal drivind or hard driving, the car has a "lag", and sometimes the engine fails, like fuel cuts... It's at small rev band, around 2500rpm to 2550rpm, or 2450rpm to 2500rpm, something like that. Everytime he reaches the 2500rpm spot, he does that.

I had similar to this a few years back and it was a faulty Throttle Position Sensor, are you sure that it is not related to throttle position rather than revs.

Second problem:

It's time to change the oil now, but I don't think it's the oil. I use the Motul 300V 10w40 100% Synthetic. Can that be a problem? Also last oil change, I changed the oil filter too.

First off has the cam belt been changed, it is due now, if not get it done ASAP!

If the cam belt is new, the VVTi uses oil pressure to activate. If the oil change is due then I would get some cheap oil and fill with that, run it for a couple of hundred Km's to flush the system and then change oil and filter for your usual stuff. Also you should change the filter at every oil change they are cheap in any case.

Now you confused me... If I lift a little bit the throttle at that rev, the engine doesn't fail or lags. What's the problem then? The sensor?

"First off has the cam belt been changed, it is due now, if not get it done ASAP!

If the cam belt is new, the VVTi uses oil pressure to activate. If the oil change is due then I would get some cheap oil and fill with that, run it for a couple of hundred Km's to flush the system and then change oil and filter for your usual stuff. Also you should change the filter at every oil change they are cheap in any case."

I changed the cam belt at 150.000kms, as it should be. Could the mechanic wrongly installed it?

Since it's almost new the cam belt, I don't understand what you are saying about cheap oil... Can you explain better please? :blush:

Now you confused me... If I lift a little bit the throttle at that rev, the engine doesn't fail or lags. What's the problem then? The sensor?

Try to find a throttle position where the cut out happens at any revs, if there is one it could be the TPS.

Since it's almost new the cam belt, I don't understand what you are saying about cheap oil... Can you explain better please? :blush:

That rules out the cam belt then and it is possible to fit incorrectly.

What I mean about the cheap oil is it will clean out the oil ways if you only use it for a little time, drain it out and the dirt will come out with it, then put your usual oil in.

Thanks for the help guys. More questions:

My car is still under the 5 year warranty. I have to take him to Lexus, so that they replace it then. I'll say them that I may be the TPS, and they replace it, this of course if they think the problem is something else.

About the valve noise, some folcks told me I should make a valve check. I'll tell Lexus that oil flush thing, and what they think they can do about the valve noise.

They have to replace the OEM headunit, because it doesn't read CD's, and a friend of mine that works in Toyota technical department, told me that my car, in its service history, the headunit has already 3 repairs... :whistling:

I'll drop the news when the problems are solved.

Thanks guys!

I also forgot to say this:

The car won't reach his max speed anymore, in a motorway that I use to drive at night, about 3 or 4 places I could reach the 225kmh of the speedmeter, and now the car wont' pass of the 210kmh at the same places.

So that's 3 problems... :crybaby:

• 2 months later...

Hi again.

So the car kept doing the engine failing, and with the time at others revs, like 1500rpm, 3500rpm... Randomly.

Yesterday a Lexus dealer changed the TPS, and I picked the car up.

The car doesn't fails anymore, idle is stable at 750rpm, but the car doesn't accelerate like it suposed to. Very slow, and hardly pass 180kmh.

Now a friend of mine that works in the Lexus importer technical department, says that it should be or Cat or the Maf sensor. He also said to me to make a ECU diagnostic, to see the errors.

What do you think guys? If it's the Cat, what Cat would make these slowness? The main Cat or the pre-cats in the manifold? And if the Cat or the pre-cats are the problem, can I just remove them without having troubles with the ECU?

Sorry so much questions... :crybaby::blush:

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So, the guys in Lexus made a ECU diagnostic, and the car hasn't any error and everything is normal. I can't understand why, because I think if I go with the car to a bhp measurement, I think it won't have more than 90bhp... They told me that it can be the spark plugs, or the fuel filter. I'll change them monday.

But I still have this dought that I asked in the previous post:

Are the cats removable without causing any error to the ECU? I'm thinking removing them to see if it is the problem...

Please, I could really use your help... :crybaby:

Thank You!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links