Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220, Service Intervals And Notification

Hi all,

does the IS notify you of when it needs a service? Mine has just done 10K and thought that was the service interval.

No it doesn't :unsure:

It's fixed servicing and even though you can go into the Menu and set it up for an "oil Change" if I remember correctly, it doesn't do anything. Mine didn't at least...

It's 10,000 or 1 year and it's up to you to remember...nearly all other prestige manufacturers have variable servicing and the car tells you. A lot of people believe that variable servicing isn't good for the car, as even Fully Synthetic oil degrades, but with the money saved over 100,000 miles you can afford a new short engine :whistling:

Only joking of course, but it will cost you a minimum of £150 with LOC Gold discount even for the basic Oil change and check service, my old Audi cost £440 (just dug out the receipts), 3.5 years and 48500 miles - which is just under £100 / 1000 miles. That was 2 services - basic at 22000 and major at 43500!!

The engine and the car were perfect, almost zero oil consumption and as punchy as you could imagine...

PS - just shredded the receipts - why oh why do I hoard????

Wow - not sure if my car was from an alternate universe but it reminded me when a service was due. Each time the car was started a pop up on the Multimedia screen would appear asking me to contact Lexus Leicester (the dealer I purchased the car from) to arrange the service. You were given the option to clear or do not show again! I always used to simply clear the message on the screen and then let the dealer reset it when it went in for service.

How strange - has nobody else had this on their cars????

Wow - not sure if my car was from an alternate universe but it reminded me when a service was due. Each time the car was started a pop up on the Multimedia screen would appear asking me to contact Lexus Leicester (the dealer I purchased the car from) to arrange the service. You were given the option to clear or do not show again! I always used to simply clear the message on the screen and then let the dealer reset it when it went in for service.

This is what I tried to set up in mine and couldn't. May be it was "all thumbs" me...

Anyway, it still only worked by the 12 month calendar, so it was as dumb as that from what I recall in the handbook. In the end it didn't do nowt so I can'd it!!

What you need is something in the car that tells you without you having to faff around setting it up yourself...it's one area where Lexus don't seem to bovvered in the UK...in the 5 series with Media pack you can set up all sorts of things yourself...but the car tells you when a service is due regardless of what model Beemer it is...dependig on how you drive it etc...

If the dealers are gonna insist on Fully Synth lube then what was the point of Lexus telling you the car worked on Mineral oils and was cheaper to service? Cheaper than what? It's more expensive from what I can tell then any of the competition, and even the IS200...

My first service came up on mine, but cannot remember if I cleared it or the dealer, as I already had it booked in as an annual service. I didn't programme it so presume it's already programmed or the dealer does it each time?

My first service came up on mine, but cannot remember if I cleared it or the dealer, as I already had it booked in as an annual service. I didn't programme it so presume it's already programmed or the dealer does it each time?

Well at least I am not going mad! :wacko:

It can't have been based on the calendar because the car was less than a year old when the service reminder came up.

I wonder what the definitive answer is then.

We have some cars that don't notify (maybe mine would have if I had waited a bit longer?)

We appear to have some cars that notify...

Mine is an 07 model so I think it's the latest iteration.

I had the variable servicing indicator on my Beemers and, I'm sorry if I am the sole voice of dissent on this, I think it is a con. Just another way for the stealership to take more money.

On the BeeEmm, it always indicated that it needed a service well before the usual 10k, 20k etc. milestones and it didn't have a hard life.

It means you have to take it to either a dealer or approved garage that has all the requisite equipment to reset the damn thing and they charge you a fortune for the privilege.

Nope, I'm more than happy to periodically check the odometer and know that I'm going to have a "minor" or "major" service at regular intervals.

I had the variable servicing indicator on my Beemers and, I'm sorry if I am the sole voice of dissent on this, I think it is a con. Just another way for the stealership to take more money.

On the BeeEmm, it always indicated that it needed a service well before the usual 10k, 20k etc. milestones and it didn't have a hard life.

It means you have to take it to either a dealer or approved garage that has all the requisite equipment to reset the damn thing and they charge you a fortune for the privilege.

Nope, I'm more than happy to periodically check the odometer and know that I'm going to have a "minor" or "major" service at regular intervals.

My Audi should have averaged 15-17000, but mine went to 22000 before servicing each time, and it does depend on jourey lengths, cold starts, Max revs etc etc....

My prev Beemer went 10-14000 miles, but my journeys have always been predominantly motorway...

Anyway, I believe you can set it up via the "MENU", then maintenance????...

Checked mine and the dealer has set it...it states 7k till next service, 01/03/08 so it's a combo of date and/or miles only...no other intelligence!!

From what I remember the variable servicing on the BMW's were taken from the amount of fuel being passed into the engine. Therefore you could go above the 15k average if you are never stationary but if a lot of your driving is in town then the service indicator will come on a lot sooner. I had a 3 series and a Z4 and I drove the 3 series very carefully and caned the Z4. The 3 series was a 2.5 and the z4 a 3.0. The 'mileage until service' indicator came around at about the same times on both cars at about 13,200.

I have noticed on the Lex that you can set the 'next service due' date in the settings on the Sat Nav screen. This must be the 'reminder' screen. However mine is now due it's second service but the date is set at October so hopefully Lex will reset it when it goes in for the service.

On another note, are replacement tyres worth getting fitted by Lexus? I know with the BM's that BMW were very competitive when replacing tyres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links