Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi I am new to the forum. Thanks for all the information I have read to date.

After much deliberation I have sold my Boxster and decided to go for a GS, possibly a 450h. I guess I have two concerns that I would appreciate comments on.

1) Looking in the Which Car mag. it states that the residuals on a GS450h after 3 years (or 36000) miles is 40%!!!! An RX350 was 51% while a RX400H was 49%. In comparison I think the BMW 5 Series came in at about 50%. I have to say 40% scared the crap out of me and questions my investiment. I hear alot about how good Lexus is so why such poor residuals?

2) Does anyone have any knowledge on how often the batteries in the Hybrid need replacing. Feels like this would be pricey.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum :D . Sorry Im not fully able to help Im new to Lexus my self. I have a GS300 MK1 Sport and tis a lovely car :wub: .

I guess Lexus are not fully re-nouned for what they are in most peoples views and you have to own and drive one to fully appreciate it i guess... :question:

as for the Battery on a hybrid sorry thats over head :unsure:

Hi and welcome to the forum :D . Sorry Im not fully able to help Im new to Lexus my self. I have a GS300 MK1 Sport and tis a lovely car :wub: .

I guess Lexus are not fully re-nouned for what they are in most peoples views and you have to own and drive one to fully appreciate it i guess... :question:

as for the battery on a hybrid sorry thats over head :unsure:

Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

A Battery is a Battery and will no doubt need changing at some point. By all accounts, the Toyota and Lexus batteries appear to be very good, in fact excellent, but an Internet search will give you access to lots of info. Normally Toyota/Lexus will test things thoroughly so I would have some faith...

Someone on here mentioned that they were warrantied for 10 years, but I thought it was more like 5. Your dealer ought to be able to tell you. Tell him to cut the sales pitch first, 'cos else he'll tell you it's the best thing since sliced loafs!!

As far as residuals are concerned, well, it is bleeding edge stuff, and there is still question marks about how these things will fair and how reliable they will be...no one knows for sure, but so far they seem pretty good.

Hybrids are what Toyota and Honda have gone for, but the jury is still out on residuals...

What I can't understand is why they never went for a Diesel Hybrid...now that would have been very very tempting!! Apparently Peugeot are working on one....

• 8 months later...
A Battery is a Battery and will no doubt need changing at some point. By all accounts, the Toyota and Lexus batteries appear to be very good, in fact excellent, but an Internet search will give you access to lots of info. Normally Toyota/Lexus will test things thoroughly so I would have some faith...

Someone on here mentioned that they were warrantied for 10 years, but I thought it was more like 5. Your dealer ought to be able to tell you. Tell him to cut the sales pitch first, 'cos else he'll tell you it's the best thing since sliced loafs!!

As far as residuals are concerned, well, it is bleeding edge stuff, and there is still question marks about how these things will fair and how reliable they will be...no one knows for sure, but so far they seem pretty good.

Hybrids are what Toyota and Honda have gone for, but the jury is still out on residuals...

What I can't understand is why they never went for a Diesel Hybrid...now that would have been very very tempting!! Apparently Peugeot are working on one....

Hi there.

Being asked about not to choose the Diesel solution, Lexus (Toyota) answered it was mainly because of the noise, vibration (while starting and stopping) and it was too onerous solution to work on when they decided to do it.

If i may have helped.

I believe Lexus provide a 5 year warrenty for the Hybrid components, however strangely the Toyota Prius has a longer warrenty possibly 7 or even 10 years!! I raised the same question with Lexus technical helpline before I bought my car, and they seemed to suggest that whilst the Traction Batteries are expensive (I think at least several thousand pounds), Lexus would look favourably on any claim for a replacement in the unlikely event one was needed. Although clearly as more hybrid cars appear and as time goes on this will certainly be an issue. My personal view is that the vehicle manufacturers be it Toyota or Honda etc will have to offer some sensible solution in years to come in order to maintain crediability.

In terms of general reliability I have had no issues at all with the Hybrid drive in the 18 months I have owned my car. The only mechanical problem I have had is a flat 12v Battery but I think that could be due to the fact my car is used very infrequently, as crazy as it sounds being left for possibly 2 months or more!! I always make a point of using the car every couple of months as the handbook says not to leave the car un-used for more than three months.

Incidentally one technical fact I discovered, is that the 12v car battrery only powers the cars electronics at start up. The petrol engine has no starter motor, but is started by one of the traction motors directly spinning the engines crankshaft, the power for the motor being supplied from the Traction Battery. I was told in tests the Traction Battery still had enough charge after a vehicle was left for 12 months to start the car, so that bodes well for the life of these cells.

If you have any more questions about the car, if I can will be happy to try and help.

Regards

Keith

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links