Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Standard-to Sport Mod - Reversible?

Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a 1993 GS300. This car had not been looked after too well, but I was seduced by the badge and the LPG kit and bought it.

It has a boot spoiler and mesh grille and it sits lower than other standard models I've seen, but I don't think they made Sport models that early, so I'm assuming it's a regular GS300 that's been tricked up to look like a Sport. Other giveaway signs it's been tricked up are the Momo wheels and no Sport stickers in the rear quarterlights.

So my question is this. Is whatever they've done to lower the car dangerous? And is it reversible? If it's just a case of swapping out the large coil springs I'm sure I could find someone to take care of that for me. Or would they have needed to do something more permanent/expensive..?

Thanks in advance.

It depends how much was spent when they did the origional modification.

Chances are it was just the springs that were changed or cut. If so they can just be swaped like you said.

HTH

Paul

Thr chances are it is just the springs that have been changed as Paul says.I think coil-overs are the only other option available , you can tell if it was those by the adjusting rings (on the shocker body) for adjusting the ride height.

Incidentally, if you do decide to remove the lowered springs, please give me a shout as I would buy them from you :winky: Or I'd even swap your springs for mine. I have the opposite problem, a Sport model that the previous owner raised because of his driveway :(

OK, that seems reasonable. Thanks. So, best case scenario is they just cut/replaced the springs and wheels and I can put it back with not too much expense.

Worst case, most expensive scenario is...?

It could be that the parts were taken from a crashed sport model and put onto yours .as for the wheels they are bad for buckling so could have been replaced at a later date anyway .window stickers on mine were peeled of by my kids .if car has mot since mods i would think ok as the only difference is the suspension anyway .and to be honest the sport model is not that bad to drive and the standard springs make it wallow like a barge if you take corners a little to quickly

I have a GS300 that I transformed into a 'Sport' using parts from a front ended Sport model, ie grille, rear spoiler, 9 spoke wheels. The car was lowered to equivalent Sport spec using Eibach springs from TDI.

I have no problems with ride albeit its a bit firmer than the standard GS300.

The Sport model has a bit more street cred and purpose and to me is how the GS300 should have looked when sold in the UK.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links