Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Things Are Afoot At The Circle K

Hmmm!

Just parked up at home and pressed the button on the door handle to lock the car, but nothing happened. Silly me, I thought, I must have left the key in the boot. But no! It was in my pocket. Oh well I'll just press the button on the key then - still nothing. Got back into the car and pressed the start button and was told the key hasn't been detected. OK, I thought, maybe the Battery died, so I went and got the spare... still nothing.

I'm still able to open the boot though using the exterior release (but can't when the key is elsewhere).

So, dear fellow LOC members, has anybody come across this behaviour before? Do I call the RAC? Will it just fix itself?

Very odd methinks!

Hmmm!

Just parked up at home and pressed the button on the door handle to lock the car, but nothing happened. Silly me, I thought, I must have left the key in the boot. But no! It was in my pocket. Oh well I'll just press the button on the key then - still nothing. Got back into the car and pressed the start button and was told the key hasn't been detected. OK, I thought, maybe the battery died, so I went and got the spare... still nothing.

I'm still able to open the boot though using the exterior release (but can't when the key is elsewhere).

So, dear fellow LOC members, has anybody come across this behaviour before? Do I call the RAC? Will it just fix itself?

Very odd methinks!

Yes, while looking for a car for my son and had parked up at a private address in a very new residential estate in Swindon...couldn't believe how many houses thay had crammed into such a small area...looked like toytown. Anyway, car viewed having been rubbish, I got back in the 250 (hadn't locked it) to be told the key wasn't detected. Tried many times with no success, including trying to lock it with the key and the door button....nothing. What to do...call the AA? What could they have done? Assumed all these new houses were transmitting all sorts of radio waves, from broadband to wireless home theatre systems etc. and perhaps I could push the car down the road a bit to escape....no chance.

After 15-20 minutes of increasing panic the key was recognised and the engine started so left the area PDQ...never had it occur before or since so can only assume it was down to close proximity interference from wireless devices.

the same happened to me last week...I also thought its the Battery, so as noted in the instruction manual, I touched the startbutton with the key and it started instantly, I moved the car 20m away and everything worked fine.

Can you push the car a little way away and try again? Or park another alongside? Sounds a bit like the interference some people seem to get.

That's what the RAC said. It'll be interference just roll it down the road and it should be ok. Now, bear in mind it's on my drive which, handily, is reasonably sloped. I jumped in the car and started to roll it backwards towards the road where I'll need to use a bit of right hand lock to get onto the road. First problem is that the brakes don't work with the engine off (well, not very well anyway), and more importantly I can't steer the bloody thing because the steering lock is on because it can't (or won't) see the key.

I've given up on that idea.

the same happened to me last week...I also thought its the battery, so as noted in the instruction manual, I touched the startbutton with the key and it started instantly, I moved the car 20m away and everything worked fine.

You're a bloody genius! I vaguely remembered there was something. Well done that man. I'll buy you a pint if I ever get to meet you.

the same happened to me last week...I also thought its the battery, so as noted in the instruction manual, I touched the startbutton with the key and it started instantly, I moved the car 20m away and everything worked fine.

You're a bloody genius! I vaguely remembered there was something. Well done that man. I'll buy you a pint if I ever get to meet you.

Trouble with being men, we never read instructions :lol: Guess I would have done eventually (as a last resort). That's assuming if the car is locked you can open it with the key and the alarm/immobiliser is turned off. It is isn't it?

I think you'll have to either send him vouchers, a paypal amount or an expensive flight to repay your gratitude :lol:

Jamie

Trouble with being men, we never read instructions :lol: Guess I would have done eventually (as a last resort). That's assuming if the car is locked you can open it with the key and the alarm/immobiliser is turned off. It is isn't it?

Yes I think so. I hear it's a bit of a bother getting the key hole cover back on though.

I think you'll have to either send him vouchers, a paypal amount or an expensive flight to repay your gratitude :lol:

Jamie

Don't go putting ideas into his head! I am grateful though. It was a very good call. :whistling:

Lexus are aware of the problem & if asked will change the keyless system to a newer version.

I posted a similar story about a friend's 250 Auto & thanks to a reply from this forum, he got in touch with the local Lexus dealership. They updated the system under guarantee & he hasn't had a problem since.

(The big problem with moving the car is the steering lock. No way to turn the wheels if the key isn't "recognised")

So if the car is fairly new, a visit to the dealership should aleviate future hassle.

Regards,

Max.

Lexus are aware of the problem & if asked will change the keyless system to a newer version.

I posted a similar story about a friend's 250 Auto & thanks to a reply from this forum, he got in touch with the local Lexus dealership. They updated the system under guarantee & he hasn't had a problem since.

(The big problem with moving the car is the steering lock. No way to turn the wheels if the key isn't "recognised")

So if the car is fairly new, a visit to the dealership should aleviate future hassle.

Regards,

Max.

Thanks Max.

I've just been speaking to Lexus Wolverhampton to arrange a 10K service for next week and mentioned the problem. I'll reiterate when they pick up the car.

Thanks for the advice though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links