Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Steering Pretensioner Adjustment

Having a look at a US Lexus forum and spotted this article;

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89632

Basically they were recommending that the Steering pretensioner be adjusted to tighten up the steering and supposedly gets rid of the vibration issues on the GS.

Ive luckily got rid of my vibration issue by having the wheels Road Force Balanced (cant recommend highly enough after having wheels balanced 3 times before on normal machines to no effect)

Anyone suffering from the vibration living near Birmingham should try out BMTR - They have a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancing machine and it did the biz for me.

However, I still find the steering on the GS a little loose and light - and it seems from the US forum post - that having the steering pretensioner adjusted can dramatically improve this and tighten it up.

Anyone heard of this before or had done?

Yes, I have heard of it being done over on CL. Some favourable results, although I can't be asked to do it. If I wanted a big car with steering feel, I would have got a 5 series. :unsure: You can get a L-tuned ECU that helps stiffen the steering too.

I don't know how OLD your car is, but the suspension components do wear out on these cars, adding to the loose n light feel. I changed lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, and the steering definitely felt tighter.

Load Forced Balancing is the best £40 Ive ever spent on my Lex, I had it done at BMTR Birmingham, thanks to Mark W, Im just amazed at the smoothness even at very low speeds its like a new car even rides the bumps better, I can now say I like the ride of my GS for the first time ever.

Thanks again Mark W for all your help.

My steering is just fine so I wont bother with the Pretensioner adjustment. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links