Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Vibration

mishman

Was driving the other day, took it passed 65mph and the steering wheel started vibrating. The car also pulls slightly to the left. I`m wondering whether I have sticky or siezed calipers as the car hardly gets driven much during the week. the brakes seem to be fine. Car is Lexus is200 sport 2001.

I get that too but it is intermittent. I

I am due to get brake pads/discs changed on front which hopefully should resolve - they need replacing in any event.

I checked

Was driving the other day, took it passed 65mph and the steering wheel started vibrating. The car also pulls slightly to the left. I`m wondering whether I have sticky or siezed calipers as the car hardly gets driven much during the week. the brakes seem to be fine. Car is Lexus is200 sport 2001.

Posted earlier by accident my post should read...

I get that too but it is intermittent and veers towards right. I checked braking on Friday coming home from work (windows open, music off) but there was no discernible noises coming from anywhere in particular. Coming into work today upon braking, judder of steering wheel and veering to right slowly

I am due to get brake pads/discs changed on front which hopefully should resolve - I need to get them changed anyway.

Posted earlier by accident my post should read...

I get that too but it is intermittent and veers towards right. I checked braking on Friday coming home from work (windows open, music off) but there was no discernible noises coming from anywhere in particular. Coming into work today upon braking, judder of steering wheel and veering to right slowly

I am due to get brake pads/discs changed on front which hopefully should resolve - I need to get them changed anyway.

Both brake pads and discs were replaced last Oct.

A siezing calliper does do this, had to do my front offside (Mk1 GS300) last friday due to the calliper not releasing properly.

Tell me Tigerfish how do go about testing / releasing a siezed caliper.

A siezing calliper does do this, had to do my front offside (Mk1 GS300) last friday due to the calliper not releasing properly.

Tell me Tigerfish how do go about testing / releasing a siezed caliper.

The first tell tale sign is feel the centre of the wheel after a long'ish run. If the brake is binding the wheel will generally be warmer than the rest. You can also jack up the car and try spinning the wheel by hand, on mine it could barely be turned. After that you need to get the tools out and take the calliper off (no need to disconnect brakelines or anything), force the pistons back in and then place it back on and press the pedal. Do that a few times to see if they pistons free up. Also grease the slide pins while you have the calliper off. If the pads are quite low, replace them as the pistons being further in can also clear the problem.

Same thing haappened here about 8 months ago started vibrating at speed then noticed a burning smell when getting out of the car,realised drivers side disc very warm compared to the other side, on closer inspection when jacked up drivers side wheel would hardley budge.

Turned out to be a seized caliper.

Webby

Course, it could be just wheel balancing...

True, although the other symptoms would tend to point to something else. Wheel balancing doesn't normally make a car pull to one side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with my IS, but unfortunately for me i had only just bought the car. jack the car up and remove the wheel and see how easy you can rotate the disc. i personalt tried twice to free off the caliper but it always return to the same state after a days use. So i bitt he bullet and bought a caliper for it. fortunately i managed to get a second hand one from a breakers yard £25. right result i thought. just wanted to say that if you havent cured the fault? i know that the breakers that i got my cliper from have still deff got a left hand caliper for is 200?

Gave the car into JEM Edgware they changed the caliper as mine was siezed. Car running sweet now, but my wallet is a lot lighter, £367 for the caliper all in.

you should have read what tigerfish wrote above. :(

i don't think that a complete new caliper was necessary.

not the caliper itself seizes, but one or both pistons in it.

so getting one or two new pistons and new gaskets (as i remember correctly lexus/toyota offers a brake-caliper-piston-repair-set with all new gaskets) should have done it for much less money.

seizing pistons is a common problem with the IS/GS front brakes.

sometimes the gaskets get leaky, so water and dirt can penetrate the piston and its "hole" where it moves so it corrodes what makes it seize.

carefully sanding the corroded piston and caliper-"tunnel" where it moves could have done it.

next time, read the posts carefully here to save money!

you don't have to repair such things yourself, but state to the shop what exactly you want to get changed/repaired! ;)

the LOC often is a way to save money.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links