Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Reving When Cold And Warm.

Ive noticed that when I first start my car it revs quickly and the revs drop off nearly instantly when I take my foot off. But after a few seconds when it starts warming up it revs up then the the revs take a few seconds to drop back down. Is it supposed to be like that. Its as if theecu changes when its starts warming up. It just sounds a bit strange when you rev it wen its warm, it makes it sounds like my girl friends old KA,lol. Should I try resetting the ecu? Its going in for its 60000 mile service on thusday so I might wait and see what its like after that.

Hope other peoples cars do the same

Cheers

Gazza

May be worth checking the throttle body too - I eventually got to the bottom of my GS problem - sounded like missfiring sometimes but noticed the revs were also very high at startup and wavered (is that a word!?!) around a bit - particularly at idle.

Cleaned the throttle body out and took off the little plate on the throttle body that covers a little chamber with about 8 holes in - gave them all a good clean too (all with carb cleaner) and they were well mucky....not sure if the little chamber is common on all lexus - maybe just the GS....

After done, went to start thecar - thought I'd broke something as didnt think car would start - Turns out that it had actually started and was that smooth I couldnt tell !

I dont mean that I start it using the acc, just if I start it and pull straight off my drive it revs and drops quickly. If I wait a few mins, it revs fine but takes longer to come back to idle. Its almost as if theres a bigger fly wheel on it. Il see what its like after its service.

Cheers for the replies

I dont mean that I start it using the acc, just if I start it and pull straight off my drive it revs and drops quickly. If I wait a few mins, it revs fine but takes longer to come back to idle. Its almost as if theres a bigger fly wheel on it. Il see what its like after its service.

Cheers for the replies

I know that my IS200 revs at about 1500 RPM when its cold, revs go down as the engine warms up to 700rpm (anyone elses?), but its different than what your experiencing.

My idle rpm is the same as everyone elses when warm and cold. I mean the rate of rise and fall of rpm when i use the accelerator. When cold, if i blip the throttle the revs rise quickly then quickly fall back to idle (about 1500 rpm). But after a few minutes when its warmed up, if I do the same, the revs don't rise with the same vigourur, its then takes longer to fall back to idle. Like I said, when cold, it revs and sounds like a sports car, but as soon as its warm its like its got a big heavy flywheel.

Im trying to describe t the best I can, sorry if any one misinterpretted me last time.

Cheers for the replies

Gazza

I think what the guy is trying to say is that he is getting better throttle respose when his car is cold. i.e: his revs drop off much quicker from a blip of the throttle when he has just started it than when it is warm.

Can't say i've noticed in mine but ill check later.

I think what the guy is trying to say is that he is getting better throttle respose when his car is cold. i.e: his revs drop off much quicker from a blip of the throttle when he has just started it than when it is warm.

Can't say i've noticed in mine but ill check later.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say. Guess Im not very good at writing what im thinking.

If you could check it would be great. Just seems a bit strange that when cold you can blip the throttle and the revs jump up and down and it sounds awesome, but when warm it sounds a bit, well sh*t, lol.

Cheers for replies

Gazza

damn i forgot to check. My engine note doesnt really change with temperature. Just i whine untill 4-4.5 then a kind of scream untill the limiter. i'm gonna leave work soon i'll check the rev drop off on the way home.

However as a side note my old focus used to make an awesome sound when cold with a k&n but when warm was quite timid sounding.

Ed

damn i forgot to check. My engine note doesnt really change with temperature. Just i whine untill 4-4.5 then a kind of scream untill the limiter. i'm gonna leave work soon i'll check the rev drop off on the way home.

However as a side note my old focus used to make an awesome sound when cold with a k&n but when warm was quite timid sounding.

Ed

Just had a quick test on the way home where the engine is only warm for a couple of minutes before home. It did seem a tiny bit quicker to drop off the revs when it was first turned on but thats peobably because i was looking for it. It's nowhere near any different to affect performance if it is different.

Deff no change in engine note either.

Gareth, I think I know what you're talking about, and I've mentioned this on the forum before.

When the car is cold, it doesn't seem to "freewheel" very well. You take your foot off the accelerator and it's almost like you've applied the brakes, the revs drop so quickly. When warm, it seems to freewheel much better. Is that the kind of effect you're talking about?

I have never noticed this but I would say it sounds normal from a logical point of view. When the car is cold there is less lubrication in the engine and thereby higher friction making the pistons or whatever slow down faster. Sorry, I am not a mechanic but I was just thinking out loud :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links