Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ls400 - Series Iv With Dhp

As many of you know. Ticking the DHP (Dynamic Handling Pack) option gave the Lexus 17" alloys with 245/50/17 tyres.

1) Does anyone know what the official pressures are for these tyres? The handbook and all the stickers on the vehicle refer to the 16" standard wheels / tryes there is no reference to the 17s anywhere!

2) It seems that the only tyre to come in this size is the "Pirelli Pzero Asimmetrico" at an eye watering £190 each (fitted). Does anyone know if I have the choice of choosing another (much cheaper) 17" tyre or do I have to have these every time.

Thanks in advance.

As many of you know. Ticking the DHP (Dynamic Handling Pack) option gave the Lexus 17" alloys with 245/50/17 tyres.

1) Does anyone know what the official pressures are for these tyres? The handbook and all the stickers on the vehicle refer to the 16" standard wheels / tryes there is no reference to the 17s anywhere!

2) It seems that the only tyre to come in this size is the "Pirelli Pzero Asimmetrico" at an eye watering £190 each (fitted). Does anyone know if I have the choice of choosing another (much cheaper) 17" tyre or do I have to have these every time.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Don't know the pressure, ring Lexus, they should know....

Have a look at this its a tyre size calculator, you should be able to find a tyre with a similar size that is more widely used

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Good Luck

Pete

Steve

I used to have these. The Asymetrico's were the only ones I could find, they were good though!

But I'm sure I didn't pay anything like that price, I'm away from home now but will see if I can dig up anything at the weekend on what I paid. Think it was just KwikFit I went to.

Tyre pressures - you're right, it's not laid down anywhere. It's quite high, from memory 34 or 35.

Do a search because I had this conversation about two or three years back and the guy who was responsible for the DHP spec came on with some valuabe info - including the pressures.

Chris

Found the earlier post:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...=29205&st=0

Don't know how to make it into a linky thing. :)

The DHP guy is CDM and his first post on this was 25 Feb 2006 in this forum - topic title Dynamic Handling Pack.

And the tyre pressures are 33 all round, not that high after all then.

Chris

All,

Thanks very much Guys.

chrisfs / ROYT - I can't find the tyres online for less that £190 ish so if you do have any info it will be hugely appreciated!!!

chrisfs - Did you ever change your springs? What was the squeaking you referred to? (I'm just curious)

Thanks again.

Actually.........Kwik Fit is looking better in their "sale":

Pirelli P zero Asim - Tyre Size 245/50Z17

Tyre Price £186.00 each

Buy 2 of these Pirelli tyres for £158.10 each

Buy 4 of these Pirelli tyres for £139.50 each

This offer ends on 2nd February.

So £598 for 4 fitted and balanced etc.

Better but still a lot of money!!

chrisfs - Did you ever change your springs? What was the squeaking you referred to? (I'm just curious)

I think it was worn bushes, the suspension is quite low and there is not as much play. But I sold it a year ago, so didn't have to confront the problem in the end.

Chris

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I have the DHP alloys on my 400 but they are fitted with 225/55/17.

These are a lot cheaper and are available from a number of different manufactures.

The circumference of the standard 16" alloy and tyres is 2125mm, 471 revs/Km

The circumference of the DHP alloy with 245/50/17 tyres is 2126.2mm, 470 revs/Km

and the circumference of the DHP alloy with 225/60/17 tyres is 2134.1, 469 rev/Km

This is a very small change in size for a large saving in price.

An additional bonus is that due to the large sidewall on the 55 series tyre they are more comfortable than the 50 series.

the Dunlop Sp sport 270 225/55/17 was the standard fit tyre on the series 1 LS430.

These will fit the DHP alloy but the DHP alloy is 8" wide and the 430 alloy is 7.5" wide and i don't think they give enought protection to the rims.

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 98 LS400 with the dynamic handling pack and have finally given up trying to get the official 245/50/17 Pirelli tyres for it.

I've just gone for a set of 5 Pirelli P Zero Nero 235/55/17's instead. Comes to around £400 for a full set including the spare (as opposed to £1200 for the Asimmetricos, IF you can get them).

The result is noticeably less road noise (10mm less tyre obviously). Softer ride as there's a little more profile, and £800 pounds more in the bank. Possibly a little more as I have three of the old tyres with about 5mm of tread left that are going on eBay tomorrow.

The profile change has a negligible affect on the speedo calibration according to this calculator. Apparently when the speedo reads 70 I'll actually be doing 71.39mph. I can live with that.

Apparently when the speedo reads 70 I'll actually be doing 71.39mph. I can live with that.

I also have a Smartnav Touchscreen (in addition to the OEM sat nav) and that shows the speedo speed is at about 75 at a true GPS 70MPH.

This just means that your speedo is more accurate but worth giving extra caution when approaching the "safety partnership vans" (scammers) in 30 zones.

I'll be very interested to know how you get on over time, especially from a ride / handling / noise combination. As it stands, I have plenty of tread but have no intention of spending £800 for a set of new shoes - if I still have it then!

I also have a Smartnav Touchscreen (in addition to the OEM sat nav) and that shows the speedo speed is at about 75 at a true GPS 70MPH.

This just means that your speedo is more accurate but worth giving extra caution when approaching the "safety partnership vans" (scammers) in 30 zones.

I'll be very interested to know how you get on over time, especially from a ride / handling / noise combination. As it stands, I have plenty of tread but have no intention of spending £800 for a set of new shoes - if I still have it then!

I'll keep you posted. Although I don't anticipate any problems. They are after all P Zeros at the end of the day. As I said previously, ride and noise are a great improvement. As for handling, I don't really throw it around. Our other car is a Soarer, which is a far better option for cornering and stuff like that. If it was handling I was after I wouldn't have gone for an LS400.

The only minus I can see so far is that the Neros are not as chunky from a cosmetic point of view as you can see below, but I'm more into comfort than looks.

ls400.jpg

I'll also double check the speed thing with my TomTom. Although I don't regard it as being particularly accurate for speed readings. Great for finding speed cameras though!

I'm sure you'll agree that the OEM satnav is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

From your picture I don't really see much difference from a tyre size point of view.

The GPS speed from sat nav (whichever brand) is totally and utterly accurate in terms of real speed, it's maybe just a half a second behind in terms of time. It goes to show how far out vehicle speedometers are (they are allowed to be + 10%). Edited - Thanks Pete!

Yes, the OEM sat nav is useless by today's standards, it looks so dated as well. In fairness, it was a pretty good effort 10 years ago though. It just goes to show how quickly technology moves on.

From your picture I don't really see much difference from a tyre size point of view.

The GPS speed from sat nav (whichever brand) is totally and utterly accurate in terms of real speed, it's maybe just a half a second behind in terms of time. It goes to show how far out vehicle speedometers are (they are allowed to be + / - 10%).

Yes, the OEM sat nav is useless by today's standards, it looks so dated as well. In fairness, it was a pretty good effort 10 years ago though. It just goes to show how quickly technology moves on.

Steve

Sorry to be pedantic mate but a speedy is only allowed to read faster than actual speed, they are not allowed to read under at all, maximum over is advised at 10% (construction and use regs)

Just for info mine when checked with sat nav reads 73 at a true 70.... but 99 at a true 100.......

Pete

(sorry but the new car fund is looking a bit low.... might bump it up here soon and get some more pennys....)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links