Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can You Clean Your Car Too Often?

Ive got a '01 lexus and i travel through the country (about 6 miles of it a day) and it can messy at times and am wondering if i can be cleaning my car too much? I usually clean my car once every 2 weeks. I use Maguires wash and wax, then dry car using Microfire and then i use maguires liquid wax (thinking of getting a harder wax like dodo ones (banana armour). Would i be causing more harm to the body work by cleaning every 2 weeks? like maybe taking off the coating of the paint work? cheers!

if you polish too often then u will reduce the thickness of the laquer ( you have metallic paint - except for the bonnet) for a long lasting detergent proof wax get a can of collinite 476 - it lasts for years

cutting Agents like TCut is the worst thing for your paint as regards using too often as it takes a thin layer off each time. I have seen guys using TCut and a buff and burning right through the paint. A lot of the industrial cutting agents you use with water to keep everything cool and to prevent burning.

Wow, didn't know a product like collinite 476 existed. Sounds like thats going to be on my must buy list, is it ok to apply onto carbon fibre? Will make sure its a nice day when i go and apply this. Cheers for info!

i assume u have a gel coat over the carbon fibre? if so then dont see any probs at all.

if you polish too often then u will reduce the thickness of the laquer ( you have metallic paint - except for the bonnet) for a long lasting detergent proof wax get a can of collinite 476 - it lasts for years

rob where can you get collinite 476 from? im using carnuba wax P21s at the moment anf klasse acrillic sealent before that.

rob where can you get collinite 476 from? im using carnuba wax P21s at the moment anf klasse acrillic sealent before that.

Google is your friend for questions like that ......but i would reccomend www.detailedobsession.co.uk

http://www.detailedobsession.com/catalog/p...;products_id=55

i found the service from him far better than any of the dealers i have ordered from on detailingworld.co.uk - a huge forum for car detailing.

Google is your friend for questions like that ......but i would reccomend www.detailedobsession.co.uk

http://www.detailedobsession.com/catalog/p...;products_id=55

i found the service from him far better than any of the dealers i have ordered from on detailingworld.co.uk - a huge forum for car detailing.

cheers rob gggeeeezzz got loads to choose from.! could spend lots on my car makeing it look the bizz. :hehe:

OH YES THERE IS A LOT TO CHOOSE FROM! i got poorboys ssr2.5 polish - its a bit rough but breaks down easily to get rid of any hairline scratches etc, the poorboys clay bar - its 1000x better than the megs bar, and the chemical guys ez glaze/selant then the collinite 476 wax - it will take a good day to do it properly. I did 1/2 the bonnet with collinite and the other half with megs a few months ago and you can still see the difference between the 2 - water still beads and runs off straight away on the collinite side!

but to be honest i would have no issues with using ONLY poorboys products - no fancy packaging and it does what it says on the tin. the interior natural look dressing is the dogs danglies BTW!

Clean as often as you want - provided you don't use anything abrasive!! And use the 2 bucket system (One with nice car shamprs and the other with clean water to rinse the sponge between shampers).

That way you don't keep chucking the grit back o again...and again...and then rubbing it in for good measure!! One of the reasons I nver use Auto wahses or them back street hand washer companies

Have a look at http://cleanyourcar.co.uk lots of good advise from experts - read the guides Merv

OH YES THERE IS A LOT TO CHOOSE FROM! i got poorboys ssr2.5 polish - its a bit rough but breaks down easily to get rid of any hairline scratches etc, the poorboys clay bar - its 1000x better than the megs bar, and the chemical guys ez glaze/selant then the collinite 476 wax - it will take a good day to do it properly. I did 1/2 the bonnet with collinite and the other half with megs a few months ago and you can still see the difference between the 2 - water still beads and runs off straight away on the collinite side!

but to be honest i would have no issues with using ONLY poorboys products - no fancy packaging and it does what it says on the tin. the interior natural look dressing is the dogs danglies BTW!

Must say it seems like good stuff and resonable prices aswell....its a pity you didnt put any pics up so i/we could of seen the results using the collinite 476 wax. :whistling::hehe: my girlfriend thinks i clean it to much and im obsesed with cleaning it.....shes got a nissan micra and man it looks like a tropical rain forest has started growing on the inside and outside :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links