Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Big Windscreen Crack

barryb

Hi ppl,

I need some advice! I heard a loud crack a week ago and after inspecting the car found nothing, after washing it today I have found a crack at the bottom of the windscreen that is about 1/2 the length!! Reaching out from almost centre :(

Can I just get any windscreen company to replace or do I need a specific company? For the tint etc etc, or should I goto my Lexus Dealer? I have an 05 IS200 Sport.

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Phone up auto glass, they will goto you and if u're fully comp you just have to pay the excess. Last time i had my windscreen fitted i had to pay £70 all in and it doesn't affect ur no claims. I phoned them up, arranged a time and they came when i was at work and they worked on it in the carpark. Took them just over half an hour and told me not to drive it for a few hrs to let the sealant dry. Not bad considering it would have costed over £700 for a lexus windscreen and work to be carried out.

Their website Click Here

But what i like to know is, how many times can you change ur windscreen a yr before they charge you for full cost of work etc?

Hi ppl,

I need some advice! I heard a loud crack a week ago and after inspecting the car found nothing, after washing it today I have found a crack at the bottom of the windscreen that is about 1/2 the length!! Reaching out from almost centre :(

Can I just get any windscreen company to replace or do I need a specific company? For the tint etc etc, or should I goto my Lexus Dealer? I have an 05 IS200 Sport.

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Make sure they know it's a Sport and you need the same spec replacement with top tint and heated.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the quick replies, I never even knew my front windscreen is heated!! I only had the car 4 months and I have to say love it!

Yup I am fully comp will give the glass ppl a call!

Thanks again,

Barry

Hi,

Just had alook at my IS200 Sport's front windscreen and it doesn't have the wires running through it (it is tinted though) that my Puma's heated windscreen did, I assume the Heated Windscreen is an optional extra?

Cheers,

Barry

Its called wiper heated not actually a heated screen

Just warms the wiper blades up to stop them sticking to your screen if you look round the outer edge of the glass you will see this

Make sure autoglass know this I had mine done a few weeks back and they brought the screen without the heater system and I had to wait a further week

Hi,

Just had alook at my IS200 Sport's front windscreen and it doesn't have the wires running through it (it is tinted though) that my Puma's heated windscreen did, I assume the Heated Windscreen is an optional extra?

Cheers,

Barry

Having looked at the Lexus workshop manual at windscreen replacement it looks like quite an involved process compared to other cars I've had. Some of the interior trim needs to be removed and the bonding area on the car needs to be 'prepared' in quite a prescribed manor. The manual then goes on to talk about the correct sealant bead diameter and how some of it needs to be shaped. I think that there are 2 piece of trim which cannot be reused and these have to be replaced. Do the like of Autoglass supply these or do they just salvage the ones they removed?

I think that if I were going to have mine done I would prefer to have it done at their depot where they can spend a bit more time getting it right. I have heard of quite a few IS200 windscreen replacements leading to leaks and electrical faults, you definitely don't want that.

Does anyone know whether an insurance company is likely to allow the Lexus dealer to replace the screen and it be covered under the policy?

Auto glass have some kind of guarantee for workman ship etc and they actually cured the problem i had to begin with when water used to leak into the car at top left corner (when raining badly) as the rubber seal was badly put into place. On my document theres 4 items changed or used. I never knew about the wiperheating until autoglass asked me on the phone. Not sure what the codes are but i'll post them up if anyones intrested :-

8309agnbhv1u

8309asms

pser00400a

pser01226a

not sure if the "0" are "O"s as in the word "OWL" or Zeros lol

KevLex ur lexus workshop manual doesn't happen to be on a cd from eBay is it? lol, cos i have one!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links