Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering O Ring Replacement

Someone is telling you porkies the O ring is available on it's own at around £4.00 the part number (Toyota) is 90080-30040.

They probably won't have it in stock but will order it in for you normally next day arrival.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/ste.../lexusoring.jpg

Just picked mine up from Toyota - £3.04 inc VAT !

Japanese car and this part is made in the UK! I think the fancy poly bag costs more than the O ring :whistling: having said that alternators are a lot more!

gah!

i was able to remove 2 of the bolts holding the reservior to the pump but I can get the third one off >_<

its the one closest to the distributor, access is limited and I cant see a way of removing it.

I've been tyring for the last hour or so and no joy.

Help :(

Gah! x 5 million

think i've killed the pump as its making an awful racket now.

I think its got an air lock somewhere but I cant get it out!

I've tried burping the car by turning the steering etc and bubbles to come out but it still hasnt quitened down.

had to get it towed home from a mates place yesterday....

I'm gonna get a mechanic in to drain and refill the system which *should* clear any air lock

but its looking like new pump time.

I'll try cleaning the filter, but is there any other way to bleed the system?

I have had this problem on P/S pumps I have rebuilt.

Try initially overfilling the reservoir.

The pick up inlet for the fluid is quite high up inside the can, you may think there is enough inside the can but possibly insufficient to bleed the system, it still drawing in air.

Once bleed the excess can be removed by sucking it out in a clear plastic pipe or other method.

Regards,

Chris Vince

Had a similar issue on my old Merc and I was advised to bleed the Power Steering by jacking both front wheels off the floor and turning the steering slowly from lock to lock a few times. Eventually it solved the problem.

yeah we did that for ages and bubbles were still coming out, i've booked it in for a full fluid change and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Over fill it.

The fluid inlet is well up the reservoir to stop debris, sludge and water getting into the pump, this muck settles out at the bottom.

Therefore you have to initially fill it almost to the top, if not, like yours it will still draw air and be very noisy.

Chris Vince

we've filled it pretty high but it leads to another issue.

the air bubble gets churned up and causes the fluid to foam up - which takes up alot more room than normal

thus it will very quickly ***** everywhere, even with the cap on >_<

I'm taking it to the mechanics tomorrow morning, i've left it for a week so hopefully that might have sorted things out

(wishful thinking I know), but what can you do eh?

Luckily the mechanics is less than a 1/2 a mile away so I think it should be ok to drive there.

morning all,

just dropped the car off to the mechanics

small rumble through the steering wheel, no screaming but no power steering either.....

and a new problem

blinky dash, it only started when I began fiddling with the car last weekend >_< and apparently the dash was repalced because of it two years ago, so that sucks

if the pumps out and the dash is fooked, i'm gonna no reserve it on eBay and cut my losses.

Update number two:

Called up the mechanics at lunchtime, told them of the o ring change and that it might not be seated properly.

Left them to it.

Popped in after work:

Still working on the car,

but they remove the reservor and found the o ring shagged and a pipe loose which *could* be causing the air leak.

cept it was dark and they were working outside so they will continue tomorrow.

fingers crossed

update number three, all fixed :D £58 pounds in total

still pretty convinced im gonna sell the car however, three things need to happen before that can occour.

Tracking (no biggie)

Center cap (again nothing big)

Sort out the brake light (poss sensor issue)

Sort out the blinky dash, looks like my bro can sort that out :D

I'll get these small issues sorted and see how it goes after.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links