Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All, found something that I have never seen mentioned on here before.

Paint is chipping on the bottom lip of the boot, best way to describe it is where the boot lip closes right above the rear bumper.

Best way to describe it is like stone chips you would expect to see on the bonnet, paint has chipped through to the primer (White Spots Showing) have asked the wife to show me how she closes the boot to eliminate scratches from rings etc and can't see how she could have caused it, also it across most of lip not one specific area.

Boot has never been opened where it could hit something and have checked to bumper for signs of it hitting off there, no marks to be seen.

I know there have been comments on here before about the softness of the paint on the lexus but this is probably the last place i would expect to see it chip.

Car is only 5 months old with 4000 mile on clock, can someone advise if this comes under the paint warranty.

Thanks

I doubt the warranty will cover it, but you need to get the dealer to assess it first. If it's deemed that there is a deficiency in the paint workmanship then of course it will be covered.

I've found that the boot actually comes into contact with the rear bumber when you shut it and as it bounces and flexes (rubber bungs), so I now shut it very very gently. Almost all along the edge where the bumper and boot can meet there is evidence of "scraping", and I know someone else mentioned it on this forum ages ago. It's one of the pitfalls of having hairline wide gaps, rubber stoppers etc...

Ok, just gave the car a good clean today and gave the boot a thorough inspection, light scrathing on the bumper where the boot meets it, as well as clear chipping on the boot...

Luckily enough someone else has had a similar problem and Lexus acknowledged it... so off to the dealer and armed with documentation and see what they say....

On another note bubbles appearing on three out of the four alloys... Can See another warranty claim coming.... not bad for only 4000 miles

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a week the car has been returned.... Boot seems to have been sorted but how long before paint starts chipping again remains to be seen..

Now will tell you about the fun stuff... Was promised 3 alloys would be changed due to pitting, blistering problems... Changed the front 2 and left the rear one... When asked why they hadn't changed the rear one I was told wasn't needing reaplaced, took the service guy outside and asked him explain the corrosion next to the valve.... "Don't know how that was missed, it was our best mechanic on your car" "really" was my reply "would hate to see your worst... "

Also can you tell me where the Chrome valve sleeves & caps have gone to? Believe it or not I was told these are only avaialbe from the factory, "so you are telling me this is a factory part and but a lexus garage can't supply it", reply was "yes sir quite embarresing but your correct"

Now left with cheap looking black valves on the front and chrome ones on the back with no resolution in sight...

The EGR valve fault reported by another Lexus garage could not be traced, funnily enough I am not the first to come in say there is a fault with the EGR valve as reported by this other dealer.

They did agree that the leather on the seat had cracked. but as it is £1300 for a new cover and after having the car for a week they are still waiting on authorisation from Lexus, oh and to top it all the seat cover has to come from Japan. So who knows when I will see that...

Quality service from Lexus not!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Well after a week the car has been returned.... Boot seems to have been sorted but how long before paint starts chipping again remains to be seen..

Now will tell you about the fun stuff... Was promised 3 alloys would be changed due to pitting, blistering problems... Changed the front 2 and left the rear one... When asked why they hadn't changed the rear one I was told wasn't needing reaplaced, took the service guy outside and asked him explain the corrosion next to the valve.... "Don't know how that was missed, it was our best mechanic on your car" "really" was my reply "would hate to see your worst... "

Also can you tell me where the Chrome valve sleeves & caps have gone to? Believe it or not I was told these are only avaialbe from the factory, "so you are telling me this is a factory part and but a lexus garage can't supply it", reply was "yes sir quite embarresing but your correct"

Now left with cheap looking black valves on the front and chrome ones on the back with no resolution in sight...

The EGR valve fault reported by another Lexus garage could not be traced, funnily enough I am not the first to come in say there is a fault with the EGR valve as reported by this other dealer.

They did agree that the leather on the seat had cracked. but as it is £1300 for a new cover and after having the car for a week they are still waiting on authorisation from Lexus, oh and to top it all the seat cover has to come from Japan. So who knows when I will see that...

Quality service from Lexus not!!!!

I brought mine in this morning for its 20,00 mile service. When I booked it in I reminded the dealer about the problem I was having with my boot ( same as above) and asked him to find out if Lexus had come up with a fix. This was two weeks ago. When I arrived there this morning I asked about the fix and was told, "sorry still no fix in fact Lexus are coming out next week to look at another car with this problem, we have a good few and there is no point repainting the boot and bumper as the paint will only come off again". This is ****, this attitude scares me and I am amazingly glad that there is nothing wrong with the engine as going on this performance from Lexus I would expect to be selling a very low mileage car next year due to it living in the garage.Why cant they just replace the bumper and/or boot or is there something more sinister wrong here like the car being slightly out of shape or something. I mean if these are mass produced how come things that fit in one car don't fit in another.

I had to give out to someone to get a loan car, as, until I asked for one I was not getting one, this is a big change from the first time I went there when the keys of a new Lexi were thrust into my hand without my having to ask. Mind you the last time I was there I booked a 250 auto to try out ( I was thinking of changing) and got a Corolla so I suppose I should understand my place in the scheme of things.

I suppose we are dealing with the Car industry here so I shouldn,t expect any better but unfortunately I do. So its back to the drawing board for me regarding what car I buy next year Lexus just dont cut the mustard.

They gave you a Corrolla? I thought they would only ever give you Lexus as a courtesy car. Shocking!

The black valve thing is so petty - 2 of the alloys on mine were replaced last year and they did the same, which is why I don't get too hung up about the metal Valve caps now. Mine got nicked 3 weeks after taking delivery and my car now has:

4 Black plastic valve caps

2 Chrome shafted valve stems on opposite corners (!)

2 black plaggy shafted valve stems on the other opposites

Incidentally one of my newer alloys is bubbling slightly...

I really do think that there is no point in doing some of these things under warranty unless that warranty has a few moneths left to run...or you're selling on

Normally, when you get things like doors and boot lids not shutting properly it is down to the hinges needing tweaking. There is no way, all things being equal, that the boot lid should scrape the bumper - it just needs someone to adjust the hinges properly. I had the back end of my IS rebuilt after a rear ender and the boot shuts properly, doesn't scrape or leak.

I'm puzzled by the valve stem thing, I had 3 alloys replaced on my last IS and they all came with chrome valve stems - I'm sure they are just a tube that slips over the black valve stem, so they should swop over ok.

i remember when i took delivery of my lex i250 last june in newcastle. came with the silver valve's n caps. stopped by in manchester for 2 nights before making my way down back to coventry and within those 2 days the caps were nicked. went to the local manchester lexus dealer n they gave me 4 silver caps FOC. so its bull**** that it only comes from factory and are not available. even had lexus newcastle send me 4 thru the post FOC.

quite a few ppl have reported now this boot/bumper problem..lex bhoy what did they do to fix yours? and what exactly was wrong with your seat??

The leather has cracked on the side bolster about level with where your kidneys would be, Dealership has taken photo's and have agreed there is a problem however Lexus seem to be dragging there heals, estimated date for the new cover is the 27th. Note they are only puting a new cover on it not rplacing the seat.

The issue of the caps is not the problem it is the sleeve's that are only factory issue... The boot has been resprayed and 3 weeks in no signs of any problems, the dealership did say it may need slight adjustment, so I presume thats what they did.

Have found this site than replace them http://www.raceandroad.com/acatalog/Valves.html

The leather has cracked on the side bolster about level with where your kidneys would be, Dealership has taken photo's and have agreed there is a problem however Lexus seem to be dragging there heals, estimated date for the new cover is the 27th. Note they are only puting a new cover on it not rplacing the seat.

The issue of the caps is not the problem it is the sleeve's that are only factory issue... The boot has been resprayed and 3 weeks in no signs of any problems, the dealership did say it may need slight adjustment, so I presume thats what they did.

Have found this site than replace them http://www.raceandroad.com/acatalog/Valves.html

u got pics of the affected seat? just comparing them with others n what dealers are doing on this thread:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=48184

Leather has hairline cracks, which the garage has acknowledged... No creasing & nothing showing through... funily enough garage called to say they are still waiting on authorisation and are now looking at getting lexus Customer service involved.

Will try taking photo and load it up, unfortunatly the garage struggled to get a clear photo for authorisation, hopefully I can do better.

• 2 weeks later...
Leather has hairline cracks, which the garage has acknowledged... No creasing & nothing showing through... funily enough garage called to say they are still waiting on authorisation and are now looking at getting lexus Customer service involved.

Will try taking photo and load it up, unfortunatly the garage struggled to get a clear photo for authorisation, hopefully I can do better.

i have a dent in my seat.show the service guy when i went in for service he say no problem he order me a new seat and book the car in for nex week to replace it along with my rear speekers.hope you get yours sorted.

• 1 month later...
Paint / Boot fix has lasted a whole 2 months, back to the body shop for more repsray's & re alignment... Still seeking Perfection :(

Im surprised they are taking it in. I am waiting for Lexus or the dealer to contact me since October 20th last about mine .I rang the dealer in march about this so called fix, they were to contact Lexus and come back to me . Not a word, what a bunch of donkeys rear ends.

Im sooo glad the boot lid is made of plastic or it would be corroding to bits by now: :megaangry: :tsktsk:

Paint / Boot fix has lasted a whole 2 months, back to the body shop for more repsray's & re alignment... Still seeking Perfection :(

Im surprised they are taking it in. I am waiting for Lexus or the dealer to contact me since October 20th last about mine .I rang the dealer in march about this so called fix, they were to contact Lexus and come back to me . Not a word, what a bunch of donkeys rear ends.

Im sooo glad the boot lid is made of plastic or it would be corroding to bits by now: :megaangry: :tsktsk:

My boot lid is steel, and I can confirm that having drilled a few holes in it... :whistling:

The top of the bootlid is steel. The panel between the lights, holding the numberplate and badges is plastic (for cheaper repair bills in rear end shunts). In fact there are two types of panel, one has the hole for the reversing camera and the other doesn't. I know this since the bodyshop repairing my car initially fitted the wrong panel and then had to order a new one from Lexus to swop over.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links