Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoke -

Fergus the dog

Hi fellow LOC members

I have a 95 LS 400 which also has a LPG conversion.

I have just had the starter motor replaced.

When I collected the car from the garage it ran perfect - no issues what so ever.

Later in the day did a journey of around 50 miles but got home in the dark, and suspected something wasn't right.

On investigating the next day in the light, noticed that both exhausts were throwing out a lot of "white exhaust" which had a heavy hydro carbon smell - combination of petrol / oil.

When I took the car for a short test run I noticed the white changed to blue, but a fair amount.

Since this has happened suddenly, and is from both exhaust pipes I've ruled out anything to do with valves.

I've read all the posting about power steering fluid, and check the reservoir and it is at the normal level.

I've also read the postings about running rich can give white / blue smoke.

I've also read an article on the USA site, about a guy who had the starter motor replaced and then had similar symptoms to me, finding that two injectors were faulty

I've read about - breather pipe and oxygen sensor.

It also seems to do this on LPG.

The car has also got flashlube fitted for the LPG, and I've disconnected this, and it still smokes.

Finally I notice a puffing from the exhaust when ticking over, which I didn't notice before this phenomena appered

The garage collected it this morning and hopes to look at it late tomorrow.

In the meantime has anyone got anything else to add - all comments appreciated.

Hi fellow LOC members

I have a 95 LS 400 which also has a LPG conversion.

I have just had the starter motor replaced.

When I collected the car from the garage it ran perfect - no issues what so ever.

Later in the day did a journey of around 50 miles but got home in the dark, and suspected something wasn't right.

On investigating the next day in the light, noticed that both exhausts were throwing out a lot of "white exhaust" which had a heavy hydro carbon smell - combination of petrol / oil.

When I took the car for a short test run I noticed the white changed to blue, but a fair amount.

Since this has happened suddenly, and is from both exhaust pipes I've ruled out anything to do with valves.

I've read all the posting about power steering fluid, and check the reservoir and it is at the normal level.

I've also read the postings about running rich can give white / blue smoke.

I've also read an article on the USA site, about a guy who had the starter motor replaced and then had similar symptoms to me, finding that two injectors were faulty

I've read about - breather pipe and oxygen sensor.

It also seems to do this on LPG.

The car has also got flashlube fitted for the LPG, and I've disconnected this, and it still smokes.

Finally I notice a puffing from the exhaust when ticking over, which I didn't notice before this phenomena appered

The garage collected it this morning and hopes to look at it late tomorrow.

In the meantime has anyone got anything else to add - all comments appreciated.

Fergus

A common fault with lpg systems is that they let the petrol injectors fire as well and this off course gives twice the fuel, hence smoke and a very soon to be wrecked engine... the additional petrol washes the bores of oil and rings go.....

If it does it on petrol as well could be that the lpg is not switching off....

I think the starter on these is in the V of the engine and needs a lot of strip down and they will have disturbed the wiring.

Please let us know what the outcome is, I expect it will be something small and silly...... they usually are

Pete

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links