Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittant Starter Operation

After over 2 years of reliable motoring the starter on the LS has become hit and miss,I can hear the click of the relay but nothing happens but it does eventually engage and start by turning the key a few times.

This is going to be a DIY project unless I win the lottery this week! ( OK spanners and sockets out)

Problem 1 I cannot find the links to the proceedure for the job.

Any help apprieciated.

After a bit of research I am 1st going to check the copper contacts which apparently wear but have 2 sets of part numbers

28226-72010/28226-72080 and 28226-64370/28226-74070 but am unsure which are correct and does anyone know which gaskets I will need for the job?

Many thanks,

Steve

If it is anything like the starter on the GS300, I didn't need a gasket for that. I took the easy option and got a starter from a scrappy and then paid a cheaper rate garage to bung it on. I have the old starter to refurb at some point so can't help with the copper contacts and part number side of things.

Hi Steve,

Wear on the solenoid contacts is a known problem on these starters, and is also common across much of the Toyota range of heavy duty starter motors. I have had this problem with several high mileage Hi-Ace in years gone by, and new contact sets do cure this problem easily and cheaply. However, as the LS starter is very labour intensive to remove/refit, do please make sure of your diagnosis before removal. Double check all other electrical and Battery connections before embarking on starter motor removal.

I'm not sure which year your LS is, but there's a long thread on the US site with photographs that you will find useful reading. It's for a 98 car, but the principles are the same throughout the model range. If I've managed to work this new-fangled computer technology correctly, then the following link should take you there.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...starter%20motor

I know that there was a recall on '95 model starter motors, but I can't remember precisely what the fault was. I have a feeling that it was insulation related. The only starter contact part no I am aware of is 28226-72010, which is a Toyota number. This number may not read across into the Lexus parts book and will probably have to come from a Toyota agent. I have a sneaking suspicion that the two sets of contacts may also have separate part nos. There may well be a single Part no for the complete kit of contacts however. Perhaps someone out there has this information.

The only gaskets you should need are for the inlet manifold and rear coolant pipes. I don't know any of those Part nos, and suspect that they may well be year dependant. Perceived wisdom is not to split the upper and lower manifolds, but remove and refit in one piece. Check all vacuum pipes for splits - an air leak can play havoc with the tickover on these engines. Allow plenty of time for removing the starter, it's not generally on the normal list of DIY jobs on these cars, but is a straightforward job if tackled slowly and methodically.

Do let us know how you get on - all additional information/part nos/photographs are very welcome to add to our knowledge base.

Alan

According to the manual you will need gaskets for the 'intake chamber' and the 'intake manifold'

'Intake chamber' is the top aluminium bit with the long stripes in it!

Two gaskets for the injector union. [cold start injector]

Four gaskets for the 'intake chamber'

Possibly four double gaskets under the injectors.

This the best I can see from the book.

Quite a big job, hope this is some use.

cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links