Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The bad experience with my local dealership is starting to fade into my distant memory. So much so that I'm starting to enjoy the car a lot more. I still think the fuel economy is crap for a deisel and the lack of split fold rear seats let it down. But I enjoy the fact that even a deisel can turn heads when it goes by. I don't see many of them on the road. Well nowhere near as many as the other marques. It would be better with an auto box option to help with the first gear issues, but by and large it isn't problemtatic if you accept that you need to be a little heavy with the loud pedal when pulling off, and that fuel conservation is hit by stop start events. Maybe time is a great healer, but for now I'm at peace with the car. Should anything go wrong with it I'm sure my meemories will come flooding back all too readily.

On a different issue. I was chatting to an RAC agent who said that they had been instructed to tow any IS220d directly to the nearest dealership instead of trying to rectify any fuel problems. The fifth injector problem is so widespread that Lexus insist that any car with the fault is taken to them to fix under warranty. He further went on that they are now on their third incarnation of a replacement and that the latest replacement seems to be doing the trick. Fingers crossed. Failing that owners are advised every now and again to constant throttle at around 2,500rpm for four minutes to burn off any carbon deposits in the injector.

The bad experience with my local dealership is starting to fade into my distant memory. So much so that I'm starting to enjoy the car a lot more. I still think the fuel economy is crap for a deisel and the lack of split fold rear seats let it down. But I enjoy the fact that even a deisel can turn heads when it goes by. I don't see many of them on the road. Well nowhere near as many as the other marques. It would be better with an auto box option to help with the first gear issues, but by and large it isn't problemtatic if you accept that you need to be a little heavy with the loud pedal when pulling off, and that fuel conservation is hit by stop start events. Maybe time is a great healer, but for now I'm at peace with the car. Should anything go wrong with it I'm sure my meemories will come flooding back all too readily.

On a different issue. I was chatting to an RAC agent who said that they had been instructed to tow any IS220d directly to the nearest dealership instead of trying to rectify any fuel problems. The fifth injector problem is so widespread that Lexus insist that any car with the fault is taken to them to fix under warranty. He further went on that they are now on their third incarnation of a replacement and that the latest replacement seems to be doing the trick. Fingers crossed. Failing that owners are advised every now and again to constant throttle at around 2,500rpm for four minutes to burn off any carbon deposits in the injector.

matus was having his 5th injector changed on the 11th, am sure he will be updating us shortly.

well it is true that I am after the injector change, but I don't see any change yet.

Sorry dgman I was in hurry so I did not ask to show me the faulty injector.

I will see after this tank (I refuelled yesterday) if the consumption drops - at the moment it seems to consumpt a bit less (0,5 litre) but on the other hand during the weekend was the perfect weather to archieve lowest cosumption (not cold, so engine warms up quickly and not too hot so A/C is not involved a lot).

the low rev behaviour is unchanged (mine pulls from 1500rpm, 6th from 120kph), engine sound unchanged too

I have to go back to dealer because only my window can be opened - the others don't work - I phoned them and serviceman said it will be 5min fix... something with ECU upgrade?

Problems with Leicester?

Not much other than not checking the car for defects, cleaning it inside or out, leaving gum on the ashtray, leaving the rear ashtray full of crap, leaving marks on the doors, a remote control for something on the back seat, the spare wheel well full of crap that had gone soggy and stuck to the chassis and tool roll and a nail in one of the tyres amongst other things. No confirmation whether the fifth injector had been sorted and still waiting to this day, and when I got it back for the first batch of faults to be rectified there was someone's credit card in my glove box. Someone who doesn't even work at the company!

The replacement injectors now have a single large hole that seems to be working. If you didn't get one of those I'd ask for a replacement again. I know I am as I can't afford to have to go into limp home mode and want it replacing before the warranty expires.

I've noted first major change - different idling.

Before it was idling at 1200 unless temp gauge in the middle or airconditioning system off.

Now it is sometimes idling at 1200 and sometimes at normal idle (app 800) - even with cold engine!

I'll try to work out the conditions.

I've noted first major change - different idling.

Before it was idling at 1200 unless temp gauge in the middle or airconditioning system off.

Now it is sometimes idling at 1200 and sometimes at normal idle (app 800) - even with cold engine!

I'll try to work out the conditions.

My around town consumption is getting better. We're now hitting the 35-36mpg for town driving. not too keen on how it's achieved as I like to be in the keen rev range. Had to smile today though when speaking to someone who has just bought an XKR. 11mpg! £63k for something that needs it's own fuel tanker in order to drive it. 16mpg on a run. I'd sooner have a 530d.

Managed to get out on a run on Saturday with the IS220. Using A roads and country lanes, using cruise control at around 65 - 70 mph and no 6th gear managed to get a computer reading of 53mpg average. This was around 25 miles Rockingham back to Leicester 2 up no trailer or luggage. I did get readings of 56mpg until I hit the country roads.

The SRS light on the dash has developed an intermittent fault in that sometimes it doesn't go out when the engine is started. I've rang the local dealership and spoken to a very helpful guy who is taking the car in to do a diagnostics check. I also asked him if he could tell me if the 5th injector mod had been done. He rang me back within five minutes to say it hadn't and they will do it the same day. I'm taking the opportunity to borrow an IS250 auto to compare.

I'm taking the opportunity to borrow an IS250 auto to compare.

I wouldn't do that, as you will probably regret owning of the IS220d :winky:

I had the GS450h when had the 5th injector change and when I got back my 220d, I felt like somebody has stolen the turbo :-)

PS: 56mpg is great. You see, it just needed some time to adjust driving...

Wow to pick up your car with all them problems are discusting............................

If your anything like me I borrowed Lexus Oxford's IS250 Auto for almost a week whilst they fixed rattles and in that week i realized i made a mistake buying the diesel :crybaby:

But strangely the 3 days I've had my car back I'm starting to really enjoy driving it

The SRS light on the dash has developed an intermittent fault in that sometimes it doesn't go out when the engine is started. I've rang the local dealership and spoken to a very helpful guy who is taking the car in to do a diagnostics check. I also asked him if he could tell me if the 5th injector mod had been done. He rang me back within five minutes to say it hadn't and they will do it the same day. I'm taking the opportunity to borrow an IS250 auto to compare.

Lets hope it's not too much of a dissapointment when I get the 220 back. I fully expect the 250 to have more power and a much smoother ride. What I want to experience is the auto box to see how well Lexus have put one together, together with flappy paddles.

Speaking to the guy from Service the other day got my mind rethinking who was at fault with the shoddy presentation of my car. I think service might have been shafted as he couldn't have been more helpful and returned my call within minutes. Either that or my bleating on about the poor service on here might have rattled a few cages? I'll report how we get on after next week when the work gets done.

Matus - do the other windows open at the switch on their respective door? I had the problem where I could only open the driver's window from the driver's door. All the other windows opened only by the switch on their door. Was told by the dealer that it was "sync" issue. Solve it by going to each door, drop the window and hold the button down at the bottom for 3 secs then put the window up and hold the switch up for 3 secs when it gets to the top. Worked for me.

well it is true that I am after the injector change, but I don't see any change yet.

Sorry dgman I was in hurry so I did not ask to show me the faulty injector.

I will see after this tank (I refuelled yesterday) if the consumption drops - at the moment it seems to consumpt a bit less (0,5 litre) but on the other hand during the weekend was the perfect weather to archieve lowest cosumption (not cold, so engine warms up quickly and not too hot so A/C is not involved a lot).

the low rev behaviour is unchanged (mine pulls from 1500rpm, 6th from 120kph), engine sound unchanged too

I've just noticed the rear offside window doesn't open on mine either. I'll get them to fix that too while they have it.

Hello

Ref the call backs

I should be getting my IS220d on Friday from Stratstone (not Lexus Dealer ) how

will i know if it has been back for any warranty recalls like the fith injector

I noticed in the service book it had 1 service at 10k car is on 18k now

IS is one of the first Diesels as it is on a 55 plate and was registered 30/12/05

but is still under manufacturers warranty untill 30/12/08

Do i just call LEXUS Birmingham and ask if it is due any recall issues like the injector problem

Regards

Matt

Hello

Ref the call backs

I should be getting my IS220d on Friday from Stratstone (not Lexus Dealer ) how

will i know if it has been back for any warranty recalls like the fith injector

I noticed in the service book it had 1 service at 10k car is on 18k now

IS is one of the first Diesels as it is on a 55 plate and was registered 30/12/05

but is still under manufacturers warranty untill 30/12/08

Do i just call LEXUS Birmingham and ask if it is due any recall issues like the injector problem

Regards

Matt

calling a dealer would be the best option. they should have all work done on the car on their systems irrespective of at which dealer it was done.

Had mine back from the service centre and I have to say it was a refreshing change from my last dealings with the dealership. Curteous, helpful and even topped my tank up. Diagnostics couldn't find a fault with the SRS light but they are willing to take it back should it start again. The window was a simple fix and the 5th injector has been changed for the latest mod. Fuel consumption initially went down but is now back to low 32s around town. Haven't had a chance to take it on a run again yet. I am now more than ever convinced the service centre got the blame for something that was not of their doing when I last had my car in at Leicester.

The bad news is the IS250 was every bit as good as I knew it would be. Consumption isn't bad when you consider it is a 2.5 V6. Plenty of torque and performance, but you do notice the weight. There is a delay on the flappy paddles in sport mode, but then has anyone got flappy paddles right yet on a production based car? Getting back in the 220d and you immediately notice how noisy an oil burner is compared to the petrol engine.

On a further note; My last stint at the track had me really struggling for space in the 220d and MPG was seriously affected by the additional weight. Nothing I can do about the weight but I have forked out for a roof box, (yes I know spoils the look of a pretty car), so I can get my spare rims and other essential kit in. I got a good deal from a sponsor forking out £170 for bars and lockable box. It goes on when it's needed and off as soon as it's not. Dread to think what the Lexus price would have been when the tow bar cost me less than £400 against Lexus' £800+. The bars and box are exactly the same as Lexus would have used too but have Thule on them instead of Lexus. I also got myself some cheap and cheerful tailored mats off e-bay that mean I can store the official Lexus ones saving them from getting abused. The cheapo ones fit perfectly too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links