Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat Spot On My Rear Tyre

So I went into Kwik-Fit today, just as I was passing by it and had a spare 10mins....

I went in to ask how much it would cost to balance a tyre.. £5.25, so I said, "ok, i'll get my rears balanced please!"

He then said "what you experiencing?", so I told him how I've been feeling the car unstable at motorway speeds and how it kind of feels like its wiggling, but a very slow wiggle, not a vibration, but almost like something taps your tail only slightly, a minor correction of the steering wheel and your straight again.

So he has a look around the car, and started to feel the tyres, when he noticed a flat spot on the rear driver side, "feel that..." he said.. and he was right, I felt a flat spot.

I also felt uneven tyre wear, the outer worn slightly more then the inner. [not the typical front inner tyre wear problem, I got that fixed by Tony some time ago]

We chatted some more, and half established that I may need new shocks on the rear, as this coupled with a new clunking noise in the cabin, just about justifies it.

So I wanted to know from you guys, could this be caused by anything else?

Will I need new tyres? Can I keep going as I am now?

Other then shocks, what else can it be?

How can a tyre develop a flat spot? I know in Formula 1, its due to locked tyres under braking :P but in a real world car?

Any help would be great!

Cheers chaps,

Signing out, a puzzled Vyker

Haha Scorps

Sorry mate, I'm going to go ahead an assume you're a Chelsea fan!

I was born/lived in Manchester, hence why I'm a fan.... although since moving to London, I also keep an eye out for my 2 local teams, Fulham and Queens Park Rangers!

But I'd still like you opinion! :)

The clunking could just be the front brake pads moving in the calipers, when do you get the clunks?

as far as the unstable driving goes, it does indicate shocks, is it worse with people in the back?

i had tyres as you described, got new ones when i got my geo done at WIM.

The clunking could just be the front brake pads moving in the calipers, when do you get the clunks?

as far as the unstable driving goes, it does indicate shocks, is it worse with people in the back?

i had tyres as you described, got new ones when i got my geo done at WIM.

The clunks happen when I drive over uneven surfaces, its defiantly an inside cabin noise, as in its not something that I'm hearing from outside.

I haven't really noticed if it's any different with people in the back, I'll bear it in mind the next time I have passengers.

Did WIM mention anything about the tyres? a reason as to why it would happen?

Thanks Aaron

Anyone have any idea how much shocks cost to replace? buy/labour?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links