Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Buying A Lexus 220 Se

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to not only the Lexus site but the forum thing.......I currently own a BMW 318iSE. Silver, X Reg.

Here is my dilema.......I have owned 2 BMW's and have been relatively happy with both, however, I am surprised at the type of repairs I have carried out on my second one. New wishbones, air flow meter. Not big jobs, but expensive. I would have thought the old GERMAN RELIABILITY would last beyond 5 years. So here is my question.

I need a reliable executive car (I like the executive perks), and was thinking of buying the new shape BMW 220I SE, and then I discovered the Lexus. Are they as good to drive, and are they reliable? I know this might be a bit of a daft question on a LEXUS forum, but after reading some of the threads, you seem to be honest. I saw a Lexus 220 SE 4Dr Sat Nav, leather etc.... 05 model 17,000 on the clock for £11,991 is this reasonable. Also when it says gears on steering wheel what does this mean?

:)

Hi there

Welcome to the forum!

I have only owned one lexus, an IS200 sport. The car never gave me a minutes worry they really are built to last! I have driven the new IS220d and it was a lovely car to drive and looks great, it did feel quite big though, the seats are very comfortable and you have all the gadets you will need. I think its far better than the BMW. I would recommend watching the IS220 fifth gear review, i found it on youtube :D That might give you more info!

The cars are built to last, not sure of the IS220d reliability but as far as i know my mate has had no problems over the 2 years hes owned his.

Hope this helps a little!

The Is is a great car but unfortunately the motor choice is limited and imho. the only superb combination (besides the IS500) is a petrol 250 with auto. The manual version unfortanately just is not as good (with the IS 200 it's the other way round).

The thing about the IS220 is that the diesel motor isn't the best in market (loads of problems in the Avensis with this aggregate from Poland, and have to say the beamer has a much nicer engine) and the combi with a manual box doesn't do it too much good.

If you want one go for the sport transminission since the standard ones are rubbish.

Personally if I was looking for reliabilty and the best in market for diesel it wouldn't be a Lexus but plus things are that service is good and you still have the good looks of the car (wouldn't buy the beamer eather, not because of the car but for the image the brand has over here....)

Succes with your choice..

Hi there

Welcome to the forum!

I have only owned one lexus, an IS200 sport. The car never gave me a minutes worry they really are built to last! I have driven the new IS220d and it was a lovely car to drive and looks great, it did feel quite big though, the seats are very comfortable and you have all the gadets you will need. I think its far better than the BMW. I would recommend watching the IS220 fifth gear review, i found it on youtube :D That might give you more info!

The cars are built to last, not sure of the IS220d reliability but as far as i know my mate has had no problems over the 2 years hes owned his.

Hope this helps a little!

I think that cause its their first diesel engine there was bound to be problems, i would probably go for a petrol as most Lexus owners will tell you they are reliable cars. The cost of diesel just now begs the question are you really better off getting one? Where i stay its 149.9 p/l.

i'd say go for a petrol one :D

Thanks for the advice....I meant a IS200. I think the reply regarding the reliability and the car is a good starting point.

I will keep you ALL informed.

IS200 is definately the way to go mate :D If you can i would go for a sport model :D I'm in the middle of looking to biy my second sport :D

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Hi there, without wanting to shamelessly plug my own car, the IS300 is noticably quicker and smoother, yet uses only a similar amount of fuel, and is in the same tax bracket.

If you are looking at an '05 plate IS300 Limited Edition for £11k, then consider my 04/54 with 30k for just £9,350.

PS, it really is true about the tax and fuel economy, it isn't just me making it up!

Hi there, without wanting to shamelessly plug my own car, the IS300 is noticably quicker and smoother, yet uses only a similar amount of fuel, and is in the same tax bracket.

If you are looking at an '05 plate IS300 Limited Edition for £11k, then consider my 04/54 with 30k for just £9,350.

PS, it really is true about the tax and fuel economy, it isn't just me making it up!

What insurance group is your car in? I've been admiring the IS300 while looking for a new car and am plesently suprised that the tax and fuel economy don't differ much from the IS200

I am not honestly sure. I know that sounds hopeless, but it only went up 10% when I changed from my '93 318i, despite the value of the car increasing substantially.

I think according to CAP, it is Gp15, compared to a 200 at Gp12 and 200 Sport at Gp13. In my experience, the groupings don't necessarily make as much difference as you might expect. I would strongly recommend anyone considering changing to any car got a few quotes first though.

I am not honestly sure. I know that sounds hopeless, but it only went up 10% when I changed from my '93 318i, despite the value of the car increasing substantially.

I think according to CAP, it is Gp15, compared to a 200 at Gp12 and 200 Sport at Gp13. In my experience, the groupings don't necessarily make as much difference as you might expect. I would strongly recommend anyone considering changing to any car got a few quotes first though.

Group 15 is very reasonable for a car like that :D Are you going to sell it and get another Lexus?

No, I am moving abroad at some point in the not too distant future, and will go back to using my old 318 until then. I have hardly been doing any mileage recently and can't really justify having all that cash tied up in a car that has done only around 350 miles since late April.

I have a Red Golf GT Tdi 130 53 plate, its a great car but i'm really missing my Lexus! the golf is a lot quicker off the mark than the lexus and it feels much more powerful but i really want to go back to the IS! Contacted a few garages about trading the golf in and getting another sport! Happy days!

Reliability is one area you really don't have to worry about with the IS200, I've had mine for almost 6 years, never paid for anything except routine servicing and parts and hopefully it will continue!

@Flashbastd, I really can't understand why your car still hasn't sold, it really is a cracking price you've got it up at - the only thing that would put me off is that I really don't like that colour, but surely everyone can't think that? :unsure:

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to not only the Lexus site but the forum thing.......I currently own a BMW 318iSE. Silver, X Reg.

Here is my dilema.......I have owned 2 BMW's and have been relatively happy with both, however, I am surprised at the type of repairs I have carried out on my second one. New wishbones, air flow meter. Not big jobs, but expensive. I would have thought the old GERMAN RELIABILITY would last beyond 5 years. So here is my question.

I need a reliable executive car (I like the executive perks), and was thinking of buying the new shape BMW 220I SE, and then I discovered the Lexus. Are they as good to drive, and are they reliable? I know this might be a bit of a daft question on a LEXUS forum, but after reading some of the threads, you seem to be honest. I saw a Lexus 220 SE 4Dr Sat Nav, leather etc.... 05 model 17,000 on the clock for £11,991 is this reasonable. Also when it says gears on steering wheel what does this mean?

:)

Have you decided if your going to go for a Lexus then?

The last of the bunch of the IS200 got a lot of very nice toys thrown in... Lots of car for little money.. The IS is a bit like Marmite.. you either love it or hate it but in my opinion far nicer car than a 3... The biggest fault with the IS is that it does like a drink though.

Yes I am and I am going to Test Drive one next Friday.....mmmmmmmmmmm It is a toss up between a new Mountain bike (Orange 5 S £1899), or a new car??????

Can not afford both...

Will let you know how the test drive goes tho either way.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links