Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Had A Is250 A A Loan Car ...... My Opinions

Well for the last two days and 360 miles I have had a IS250 se MM as a loan car whilst my IS220D se-l MM was in for few adjustments. Whist my initial impressions were very good the big test for me was MPG. I have now got a ave mpg on my IS220D of 40.1 after 5600 miles. This has been attained on a 60% motor way and A roads and 40% Urban driving. I was interested to see how the IS250 would fair. Over the two days I had an average of 30.7 although 80% of what I did was motorways. On a trip like that in my Diesel I would average 44-46 mpg. If this was my avg mpg for the year in both cars the Diesel would £920 cheaper to run and cheaper to buy and tax. The car that I was given had a ave mpg of 22.3 when I got it but I do not know how it was driven!

So for me the diesel is still a no brainer. So what of the IS250? I have no question that if money where of no concern I would have the petrol auto any day of the week. It is much nicer to drive in and around town being an auto but i feel little difference when cruising. I feel that if the Diesel was availble in an Auto that it would maybe get a much better review and that apples could be compared with apples. I also feel that the paddle gear selectors are a waste of time and limit the normal way that one might hold the steering wheel.

I must add for anybody who is deciding on what trim level to go for I must say that the se-l trim is worth every penny. The SE trim I feel felt much cheaper (no offence to those that have it) I missed my HID's big time. I missed the auto dipping side mirrors when parking and the steering wheel that gets into position every time you get in and get out. My wife drove home on the first night and left me having to adjust everything again the next morning rather than just pushing the unlock button on the remote.

So yes the IS250 is a great car but the IS220D is equal to the task, given it has a few issues but nothing that would have me handing it back to get a IS250. :winky:

Well for the last two days and 360 miles I have had a IS250 se MM as a loan car whilst my IS220D se-l MM was in for few adjustments. Whist my initial impressions were very good the big test for me was MPG. I have now got a ave mpg on my IS220D of 40.1 after 5600 miles. This has been attained on a 60% motor way and A roads and 40% Urban driving. I was interested to see how the IS250 would fair. Over the two days I had an average of 30.7 although 80% of what I did was motorways. On a trip like that in my Diesel I would average 44-46 mpg. If this was my avg mpg for the year in both cars the Diesel would £920 cheaper to run and cheaper to buy and tax. The car that I was given had a ave mpg of 22.3 when I got it but I do not know how it was driven!

So for me the diesel is still a no brainer. So what of the IS250? I have no question that if money where of no concern I would have the petrol auto any day of the week. It is much nicer to drive in and around town being an auto but i feel little difference when cruising. I feel that if the Diesel was availble in an Auto that it would maybe get a much better review and that apples could be compared with apples. I also feel that the paddle gear selectors are a waste of time and limit the normal way that one might hold the steering wheel.

I must add for anybody who is deciding on what trim level to go for I must say that the se-l trim is worth every penny. The SE trim I feel felt much cheaper (no offence to those that have it) I missed my HID's big time. I missed the auto dipping side mirrors when parking and the steering wheel that gets into position every time you get in and get out. My wife drove home on the first night and left me having to adjust everything again the next morning rather than just pushing the unlock button on the remote.

So yes the IS250 is a great car but the IS220D is equal to the task, given it has a few issues but nothing that would have me handing it back to get a IS250. :winky:

That's what I thought until I test drove the IS250 Automatic. The manual 250 is not to my taste and is thirsty. The IS220d is a better car. 30.7 averages sounds like you had the Manual?????

But drive the Automatic vers. It will give you averages of over 35mpg regularly and is so smooth, like a real Lexus has got to be. Im My opinion. It is the only IS worth buying.

Even that will not compare to some opositions. Take BMW325i, which actually is 3.0litres. It is faster, smoother and much more economical. Petrol engines have moved way forwards recently. It is the way to go with diesel prices so high up (and only getting even more higher).

That's what I thought until I test drove the IS250 Automatic. The manual 250 is not to my taste and is thirsty. The IS220d is a better car. 30.7 averages sounds like you had the Manual?????

But drive the Automatic vers. It will give you averages of over 35mpg regularly and is so smooth, like a real Lexus has got to be. Im My opinion. It is the only IS worth buying.

I think he was driving the auto version.

Regarding the original poster's comments: I don't dispute the fact that the diesel is cheaper to run than the petrol, although I think the difference isn't quite as great as you made out. My point would be that nobody buys a £30K car if a fuel saving of £500-800 per annum is a big issue. If the budget's that tight surely you should be looking at something cheaper.

Or am I just being financially boring and sensible?

PS. Of course, if you actually prefer the diesel then that's great - you're quids in AND get the car you really want.

I think he was driving the auto version.

Regarding the original poster's comments: I don't dispute the fact that the diesel is cheaper to run than the petrol, although I think the difference isn't quite as great as you made out. My point would be that nobody buys a £30K car if a fuel saving of £500-800 per annum is a big issue. If the budget's that tight surely you should be looking at something cheaper.

Or am I just being financially boring and sensible?

PS. Of course, if you actually prefer the diesel then that's great - you're quids in AND get the car you really want.

I REALLY THINK THAT WE SHOULD NOT START ANOTHER FUEL ECONOMY WHINGE THREAD

Back on topic though - I think that the IS250Auto is the way to go if yu are looking for a 55/06 plater. It's a sound car!! th only nail in it's coffin is the one around CO2, which at over 200grams is way too much for a compact exec nowadays...They need to clean it up.

No one should make any calculations based on the official figures... They are not even comparable between two cars and they most certainly don't represent your everyday driving. I know your government uses them and ours does too, but they really shouldn't. Official figures are rubbish, and that's that. Test drive is the only way to know for sure which car is economical for you and which is not. I got better mileage from the 220d Sport than the regular version. Based on the official figures, that shouldn't be possible.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links