Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had my 99T GS300 Sport for about 8 months now and everything was great until quite recently I detected a vibration at 70-80mph. I know you're going to say 'wheel balancing' but I've had it done twice aswell as 4 wheel alignment but still vibrating. I feel that the vibration is coming fom the back and not the front as the steering wheel doesnt vibrate. The vibration goes after 90mph. Its quite noticeable and driving me mad. Could it have anything to do with the fact that the tyres (rear) are getting low but not illegal yet?

Please help, as I'm having to drive it at either 60 or 100.

Also I'm getting a ticking noise (from the calipers - which were replaced 8000 miles ago) whenever I hit the brakes at low speeds and sometimes a cluck (also had new ball joints replaced 8000 miles ago) when it comes to a holt. Recently its started to display the handbrake light on when i first drive (only when I hit the brake) it then stops after 30 mins of driving.

Any ideas?

I had not a tick, or a cluck but a repetitive squeek which was coming from the right rear wheel between 15-50MPH after new pads. It was found to be some high points around the hub of one of the rear discs. The solution was to grind all the high spots down to the same level as the disc itself. Technician at Lexus Wolverhampton said that the GS is very fussy about geometry. The first GS I had was OK until Lexus Bristol balanced all the wheels and did a geometry check and then it wobbled like a jelly ontop of a Hoover washing machine during the spin cycle whenever I approached 65-75MPH. Thankfully that GS is now gone and the one I have now is completely wobble and squeek free. :unsure:

Also, it might sound stupid, but they did tighten all your wheel nuts back up afterwards didn't they? :ohmy:

I'm experiecing a similar problem, I'm getting vibrations around the 60-85MPH, quite noticeable around the 80MPH and then it goes, leaving any metal object in the front console, it starts to vibrate. Most vibrations come through the seat, and to a lesser extent thru the steering wheel. However, I think mine is due to the front tyres need replacing they are worn on the insides (center and outside are fine) I've only just got the car, am going to replace the front tyres which I hope will solve the problem will keep you posted

Hi there,

I just happned to have had the same at two different occassions;

Whilst running the car on Yokohama's Advan I had similar experience only after 16000 km's. The problem was that the tyres are prone to "cerbing" ( like the word cerbstones!) You could feel it when running your hand over the tyres threads; one way they are quite smooth, go in the opposite direction you will feel a certain roughness on the threads.

I had two problems: running too long with underinflated tyres, and not switching tyres from front to back to create a even wear pattern.

2nd occassion; I changed over just two weeks ago from 16: to 17" wheels including Bridgestone Potenza S03 245/45/17 tyres.

Just today I had to return for a rebalance since a new wheel /tyre combination always needs some time to wear in, (the words from the dealer..)

Bottom line; it helped.

regards

Lecati

Hi, you have my sympathy. I have a 2000 GS300se which has been cursed with this since 2400 miles. I have been wrangling with Lexus for the last 12 months and they actually had the car at their technical centre for 6 months. I was featured in AutoExpress last week who have ran the story 3 times.

Lexus have now offered to take the car back in against another newer GS-- although I will have to pay!

My research has raised a problem with the steering rack and this was redesigned on the 2001 model year cars, along with some of the suspension. The rack has too much slop built in and allows wheels which are slightly out of balance to cause this. My wife describes the car as a washing machine!

I have a number of emails for people/owners in the states who have had similar problems. The car is not sold in huge numbers here and as such hasn't hit the headlines.

I have had three new sets of wheels, two front shocks and even a new torque converter fitted under warranty to try to cure this. It still shakes through the floor and the steering at times.

I have the numbers of people at Lexus if they are any use to you. Is you car still under their warranty??

Let me know

I had this problem on my 1999 GS300 Sport also, never got it fixed and in the end swapped it for the 430. At first all seen well but after about 14k miles it started to vibrate at approx 60mph like the sport. Dealer balanced wheels, tracking etc, still did it, changed front wheels to rear, still did it.

Swapped the wheels and tyres for TTE 18inch, guess what? still did it. I also knew about the pretension problem of the rack (seen it on the USA sites) so I told this to my dealer who at first was interested as they said they had another of their customers with the same problem.

Then they refused to touch the rack, said they were changing the TC in this other customers car. Glyn was your car in at Coventry? But was then told that that did not fix the problem and they did not know the answer to mine.

Then in December last year i saw that the front tyres were bald on the inside edge 6mm on the rest of the tyre. So it had a four wheel alinement £150 which cured the wear problem.

It also fixed the vibration problem and its never come back.

So in my case it was not the wheels, tyres or tracking it was the camber angle :)

Just collected my 1998 GS300SE and found similar, motorway driving at approx 80mph noticed the vibrations from rear as not much transmission through the steering wheel. Have not reported it yet.

Is there anything that you guys can suggest I mention to the dealer to look for or is it just tyre wear. Although the tyres all look well treadded and even.

Any suggestions welcome. :excl:

Well fellas, thanks for the advise. Just to give you an update, on Thursday morning I went to get in the car and noticed a flat tyre, I went for the spare but that was also flat (Lexus b/ham where I got the car from dont accept responsibility for their oversight of this). Anyway I decided to get new tyres. So I went for Michelin Pilot Sports and get them all changed. After relieving my pocket of some hard earned dosh, guess what - its driving like a dream again. Mind you, the Pirelli P-Zeros I had were pretty worn and also had numerous cracks, I'd never recommend Pirellis as I only had new ones put on last Sept, and they looked all perished and full of splits. I know that late at night (only late at night - no traffic) I do push the car round bends and roundabouts but didnt expect to see them so out of shape. They felt al bumpy and not smooth and the tyre dealer told me that this is common of pirelli's - so fellas - dont buy them.

Also - I know I probably should'nt have, but I went for 45 profile instead of 40's. The roads in London were really starting to rattle the car. I know this has altered the rolling radius but by how much? - I actually prefer the ride now much more and have less chance of kerbing the rims.

Anyone like to comment on this ?

Yes my car was at Lexus Coventry, they changed the T/c and then the wheels (second time round) even convinved me to buy two news Bridgestones as they said it was the P6000's causing the shakes!

I am in the process of changing to a 430 now - what do you think??

Would you recommend it? This one would be a 51 model with about 8K on the clock.

I have given up and so have Lexus, they refuse to admit they is a fault with this car or it appears others of a similar age.

My wife decribes it as the washing machine - as she drives a Feelander!

Hmm, interesting.

Mine vibrates slightly when the car isnt in a straight line, at any speed. I havent had them checked over yet but Im going to check the nuts first as Im sure they need tightening.

I am unsure if its only happended since fitting the Kahn 19s on her as I only had the stock wheels on 3 days.

I'll be able to check if its just the lexus when I put the Kahns on the Supra shortly.

Gaz.

I have a 99T GS300SE and have driven it for 106K miles. Over the years it has had a number of vibes as described. Sometimes it has been due to balancing or geometry (a spate of 4 times at between 50K and 70K miles) but also it has been due to worn pads sticking forward in the caliper or once, due to a sticking front caliper which was replaced. I had the same problem with a rear caliper on a mark 1 which I ran for 30K miles. There were undoubtably design issues which Lexus must have made a pot from. However, for the last 35K, I have had no vibe problems at all and it runs like a dream. New GS300SE (satnav) due on 1/5/3 and I'll have to let this beauty go. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links