Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Front Tyre Width...?

Noel

Hi all,

anyone running 235/45/17's on the front?

Would it be too hard on the steering?

I currently have IS250 tyre widths on ie front 225/45/17, rear 245/45/17 and don't think the staggered setup is really suiting as i have understeer since, I'm thinking of putting 235's all round so as to be able to rotate the tyres as usual...

rims are 8j and 225's are a little stretched at present so i'm hoping 235 will be perfect?

cheers

225 isnt stretched on a 8j rim, ive got 225 on a 8.5 on the front of mine and they only look a little stretched.

if your suffering under steer, its possible you have **** tyres on the front, alternative your ARB is set to hard for the front

but 215, 225 is more than ample for the front of an Is200/altezza

the fact your car is an altezza, so lighter on the front than an is200, i would look at other possibilities before blaming the tyre width

i ran 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear on the original monster set up, and didnt suffer understeer issues

225 isnt stretched on a 8j rim, ive got 225 on a 8.5 on the front of mine and they only look a little stretched.

I did say a little, as the rim protector isn't level but pointing outwards

if your suffering under steer, its possible you have **** tyres on the front, alternative your ARB is set to hard for the front

It's on bridgestone re50's and standard ARB's, under-steer isn't bad but i preferred it when the rear was more involved, my thinking is to reduce the rear width as my car isn't powerful enough to need it unlike the Monster :winky:

but 215, 225 is more than ample for the front of an Is200/altezza

I agree completely but just wanted to keep the wheels the same front and rear that's why i was asking if 235's would be suitable for the front as if i reduce the rears to 235 i wanted to be able to rotate them... :unsure:

i ran 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear on the original monster set up, and didnt suffer understeer issues

different league to my yoke ... :blush:

cheers

......i ran 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear on the original monster set up, and didnt suffer understeer issues

I am currently running 225/40x18 Front & 255/40x18 Rear with TTE Red ARB's, and no understeer,

with oversteer only with a heavy right foot. In fact I'd say mine was fairly neutral.

Hope you find a solution :)

Hi all,

anyone running 235/45/17's on the front?

Would it be too hard on the steering?

I currently have IS250 tyre widths on ie front 225/45/17, rear 245/45/17 and don't think the staggered setup is really suiting as i have understeer since, I'm thinking of putting 235's all round so as to be able to rotate the tyres as usual...

rims are 8j and 225's are a little stretched at present so i'm hoping 235 will be perfect?

cheers

put your oem wheels back on to see if you still have understeer just to make sure the problem is with the new wheel/tyre set up :)

Huge topic....

Actual changes at the tyres contact patch is negligible, changes in the tyres aspect ratio to accommodate rolling ratios are an issue namely the sidewalls compliance.

Add to this the internal rigidity (pressure) you open a whole can-O-worms.

The size of the contact patch, rigidity, pressure, Geometry, suspension calculates if the car will over/ under steer and that's just the tip of tyre saturation technology.

Mat is correct in what he says "manipulate the pressure", this is a controllable field you can address but be wise and do this in small increments.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links