Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stereo Power Problem

HI, HOPE YOU GUYS CAN HELP. THE STEREO IN MY IS200 (NOT SATNAV MODEL) STARTED TO WORK INTERMITTENTLY. I THINK ITS A LOSE POWER SUPPLY CONNECTION AS IT WOULD SWITCH ON WHEN I DROVE OVER BUMPS. IT GOT PRGRESSIVLY WORSE AND NOW DOES NOT WORK AT ALL EXCEPT WHEN IT RUNS OVER A BIG BUMP THEN THE CD PLAYER STARTS CLICKING AND THEN OFF AGAIN. I ASKED LEXUS AND THEY WANT ABOUT 600 QUID TO FIX. THEY SAY THE DASH HAS TO COME OUT. ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM, CAN I GET TO THE LOOSE CONNECTION MYSELF. IF SO ANY IDEAS ON LIKELY SPOTS WHERE THE LOOSE CONNECTION WILL BE. I UNDERSTAND THE AMP IS BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX FOR EXAMPLE. SO REMOVING THE STEREO MIGHT BE POINTLESS - WHERE DO I START. I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD AND A LOVELY BUT VERY CHATTY WIFE - GOT A SIX HUNDRED MILE DRIVE IN 2 WEEKS - NEED TO PLAY SOME MUSIC AND STORIES ON THE STEREO OF ILL END UP ABANDONING THEM ON THE M1. LOL

im just about to inherit a is200 with the same problem. my lexus doesnt have a amp, so you can maybe take that idea out of the equation! how good are you with electrics. i would recommend a test lamp to the power feeds of the headunit.

if they arent lighting up the test lamp then you need to tap the power from another source.

Someone can correct me on this but, "THEY SAY THE DASH HAS TO COME OUT" which really means they just have to take the headunit out (4 bolts!) - it sounds more than it is.

Im awaiting permission to start working on my car. im ripping out the radio immediately and replacing it with my dvd player. this will be a good indication whether it was the actual headunit playing up (which is extremely possible) or the actual wires (that i mentioned above)

Im not sure if this post helped you or not.....

Jonathan

im just about to inherit a is200 with the same problem. my lexus doesnt have a amp, so you can maybe take that idea out of the equation! how good are you with electrics. i would recommend a test lamp to the power feeds of the headunit.

if they arent lighting up the test lamp then you need to tap the power from another source.

Someone can correct me on this but, "THEY SAY THE DASH HAS TO COME OUT" which really means they just have to take the headunit out (4 bolts!) - it sounds more than it is.

Im awaiting permission to start working on my car. im ripping out the radio immediately and replacing it with my dvd player. this will be a good indication whether it was the actual headunit playing up (which is extremely possible) or the actual wires (that i mentioned above)

Im not sure if this post helped you or not.....

Jonathan

ANYTHING IS A HELP, MUST HAVE POWER AS IT GOES INTO A FIESTA OF C/D CHANGER NOISES EVERY TIME I GO OVER A BUMP THOUGH, IF ITS NOT GOT AN AMP I ASSUME THE POWER PLUG OR WHATEVER IT HAS, HAS COME LOSE IN THE BACK OF THE STEREO. I GUESS I GET TO UNDER THE TRAY ON THE DASH BOARD, ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET THIS OFF?

Hi Nick, welcome to LOC.

Firstly I know you are upset, but please turn off the caps (no need to shout).

Secondly send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a walkthru for getting out the CD Player.

You don't mention if the lights are on all the time or if they go on and off over the bumps.

The CD unit may have a lose connection in the plugs at the back, it is very doubtful the lose connection is at the

amplifier end. If your car is an SE or Sport, then you will have the amp behind the glovebox.

The CD players in the IS200/IS300 are prone to failure in the changer section, the early bottom loader ones were

very bad, the toploaders almost as bad after several years use. It may well be time to junk it. I know you probably

don't want to hear that, but it is possibly the case, so the only way you will have sounds for your long drive, is to

replace the standard CD Player with an aftermarket one. Look in to Audio section, many people have done it,

and there are several posts telling you what you need to do etc depending on which model you have.

Where in Kent are you ? If you need further help after checking the connections, I will see what I can do to help.

regards

Wozza

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links