Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Knowledgebase Is200

Monti

Can someone clear this is up... i dont really understand what it means??! :duh:

"Gearbox – The 6-speed gearbox fitted to the IS200 is not the most forgiving however some do seem to be worse than others. Check for poor change between 1-2 and 2-3 gears"

u need to make smooth gear changes, and check for any nasty feeling between 1st and 2nd and also from 2nd to 3rd.

2nd gear has a known problem where the cones( i assume) wear resulting in a rough gear change. Apparently dealers were told to "fob" off the customer unless customer complains strongly - gearbox oil change would then happen and the fix lasted a few K then the fault would come back. some people had the gearbox changed or the gearbox stripped and worn items replaced.

I changed the oil of the gearbox hoping that it will fix the problem, but it didn't. Well, might be a liiitle bit better, but still the clunk is there.

However, in the garage they had only one type of gearbox oil. It was an OEM type, so I have no idea about the density and so on. May be a thicker oil will do better..

Rob, can you refer to a person or a thread in the forum about those cones? I'd really like to dig deeper in that problem. Thanks!

not really, i was shown a letter sent to the dealers when i had my box replaced and it said to fob off the customers(nice) the dealer had a gearbox apart and the cones had obvious wear.

its not as if syncromesh is new so its not hard to get ight - it a manufacturing fault.

i did make a big post about this years ago so it should still be about

had the same problem -at times its really smooth and at times its sort of rough-went already to dealer and the service guys said its practically normal to most of lexus is200 gear-and said so far they havent change any gear box-but also said try changing oil first --mine is around 34,000.. so ill try to do that but also waiting for my short shifter dont know if that would also make it smoother--i dont know if other members have experience any changes when they did change ti to short shifter..

not really, i was shown a letter sent to the dealers when i had my box replaced and it said to fob off the customers(nice) the dealer had a gearbox apart and the cones had obvious wear.

its not as if syncromesh is new so its not hard to get ight - it a manufacturing fault.

i did make a big post about this years ago so it should still be about

i always found that it was more prominent, when cold...although several different ideas have been muted both by lexus and others as to a fix.

ive always found that, it actually isnt that bad, and if your not used to RWD, taking time to adjust your driving seems to help somewhat...its however is always going to be there.

one option is fitting the short shifter, for some, that has also solved the problem

Toyota, always seems to have very agricultural gearboxes...try the supra one!!

for me on some of the cars it never really became an issue, i was happy more, that it had some positive selection, as opposed to some rwd gearbox's that were dreadful, feel more like stirring porridge

It is worse when cold as Mat says

When I leave the house in the morning it's a pain to get second gear the first time. After that it improves, and when the car is fully warmed up getting second is mostly ok.

I almost always get a clonk though going into second even when it goes in gear smoothly. Seems like the clonk noise travels down the propshaft as it sounds towards the back of the car.

I read years ago that a lot of six speed boxes have problems like this because things are packed closer together and the oil can't get round as well. I had a Hyundai Coupe a few years ago with a six speed box and that didn't like going into second when it was cold.

It is worse when cold as Mat says

When I leave the house in the morning it's a pain to get second gear the first time. After that it improves, and when the car is fully warmed up getting second is mostly ok.

I almost always get a clonk though going into second even when it goes in gear smoothly. Seems like the clonk noise travels down the propshaft as it sounds towards the back of the car.

I read years ago that a lot of six speed boxes have problems like this because things are packed closer together and the oil can't get round as well. I had a Hyundai Coupe a few years ago with a six speed box and that didn't like going into second when it was cold.

the clonk is transmission and driveline, noise

there is some play in the transmission from gearbox output to the handbrake shoes,

imagine..when you apply the handbrake, there is the slight amount of play, allowing the vehicle weight to move it all when applied, when you remove the handbrake and put it into gear, all that slack is now taken up.

gear syncros, prop Univeral joints, differential gear, driveshaft joints, and handbrake shoe movement........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links