Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computing Tip For Everyone !

Saraj

Hi,

Just spotted that old thread when DJ Wozza was stuck for a Vista cd.

Something which I've learnt, and some of you maybe aware, but the some who would benefit

If you have a CD/DVD which is playing up, auido cd skipping due to sctraches, or a software cd/dvd which does not work, similar to DJ Wozza's case.

All you have to do to fix it, is create a direct copy on to a blank one. This restores anyproblems, fair enough it may not be the original but does the job.

I did this for my XP recovery cd which went currpt due to damage, and majorty of my music album, with the amount of sctraches on those.

Saj

I tried that with some discs (originals) that my OEM CD unit (IS200) was having trouble with. Didn't help though, I think it's the head unit :nugget:

It can help with some scratched discs as you say though, computer drives can be quite good at putting up with errors, and some older CD/DVD systems might be more intolerant of scratches (so making a new copy can help in that sort of case).

I read once that you can fix a scratched CD by using car polish and wax. Never tried it!!

i don't think it would work coz you'll be taking layers off.

best thing to do is to make backups of the originals cd/dvd where you can as most of them are data procted (but there are ways round it)

I read once that you can fix a scratched CD by using car polish and wax. Never tried it!!

best thing to do is to make backups of the originals cd/dvd where you can as most of them are data procted (but there are ways round it)

Best thing to do is not to scratch them in the first place lol! I'm sure for someone who knows their way around computers properly, getting around copy protection is childs play!

First thing I do with any DVD/CD/Software I buy - Straight in the PC and make a copy.....original goes back in its case and stored safely. That way, whenever the copy gets damaged, I just go and retrieve the original and make a new copy.

With 2 young kids in the house it happens quite regularly ;)

First thing I do with any DVD/CD/Software I buy - Straight in the PC and make a copy.....original goes back in its case and stored safely. That way, whenever the copy gets damaged, I just go and retrieve the original and make a new copy.

With 2 young kids in the house it happens quite regularly ;)

no one said anything about buying software........

copy protection is childs play!

This is very true my friend

Thats the idea. You polish your car with polish to remove scratches. So polish a cd with polish to remove scratches. Obviously you dont want to polish too much though.

I know i guy with a machine that polishes damaged cd/dvds. i was amazed at the scratches he removed! Normally charges £4 a go mind, but the machine did cost him £2k.

no one said anything about buying software........

Yes they did - I did - :tomato:

I was simply saying whenever "I" buy any CD / DVD or software (on CD-ROM for example) I always make a copy and use that instead.

I wasnt suggesting buying any software to fix the original error or indeed copy the CD/DVD because that would be a little stupid given the free stuff around that also circumvents any copy protection.

DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink to name but 2.

on a similar note is there any way of getting around playing copied discs in the OEM headunit? for some reason certain tracks play fine, others fail, others play half and then break up and get the dreaded CD ERROR 1 message.

I've tried tesco's own CD-R's and also Sony CD-R's both provide the same problems :(

on a similar note is there any way of getting around playing copied discs in the OEM headunit? for some reason certain tracks play fine, others fail, others play half and then break up and get the dreaded CD ERROR 1 message.

I've tried tesco's own CD-R's and also Sony CD-R's both provide the same problems :(

i never had a problem only with CD-RW or if they got scratched

i have used Memorex and Bulkpaq....

hmm could possibly be me using Vista, as my bro who did a cd for me on XP works fine. What software do you use to burn mate?

OS shouldn't make a difference, should it?

Try using all the different software you can, Media Player, Itunes, Nero ....... there are many.

(Are you not an IT man?)

I am indeed, but it may not be a IT thing causing the problem. Could just be a borked headunit or possibly codec incompatability, this is why I asked if people have had similar problems or software they used so I can go by trial and error ;). I will be getting a new headunit next week neways :)

I can go by trial and error

Think trial and error is what you have managed!

Don't know on this one mate, but if ya got a new HU on the way, i wouldn't worry about it! You doing the rest of the system or just the HU? Its worth doing if ya like ya tunes, but A LOT of work to do the full install, as im still finding out 5 months, and three quarters of the way, throu it!

hmm could possibly be me using Vista, as my bro who did a cd for me on XP works fine. What software do you use to burn mate?

I use nero with plug-ins

i wouldn't say it's the OS but more the software your using and how your buring it...try a slower speed, thats helps too

indeed will have a play around later :), Ben I'm just getting the HU mate, like my tunes but have no real want to get a competition worthy system, as you know I shall be looking at a S15 next summer hehe :P

Fair enough. It is a major overhaul. The standard (SE and Sport anyway) system is one of the very best around, for its age, IMO.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links