Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hello,

im a new member,but without a lexus as yet,i have a e90 bmw 320d m-sport.

i test drove the 450h a while back,and although nice ,still seems uneconomical,which moved me on to the is 250 auto(still to test drive though).

for those that have drove both the bmw and is250,how do they compare,speed/power is'nt a major concern to me anymore,but refinement and ride are,also i have been reading the previous posts,but what is the average range from a tank of fuel,my bmw gives around 520 miles,im not going to get near that in a 250 auto,but an idea would be good.

i think the IS is a lovely looking car with an interior to match,ths acc and ventilated seats will be a must.

thanks guys.

hello,

i test drove the 450h a while back,and although nice ,still seems uneconomical,which moved me on to the is 250 auto(still to test drive though).

for those that have drove both the bmw and is250,how do they compare,speed/power is'nt a major concern to me anymore,but refinement and ride are,also i have been reading the previous posts,but what is the average range from a tank of fuel,my bmw gives around 520 miles,im not going to get near that in a 250 auto,but an idea would be good.

i think the IS is a lovely looking car with an interior to match,ths acc and ventilated seats will be a must.

thanks guys.

Hi,

I drive a 250 auto and I get around 330 miles to a tank.

hope this helps

I have a 57 plate is250 SE-L auto with MM. I get between 380 and 400 miles per tank on average. My current average MPG since purchasing the car with 10000 miles on the clock is 31.5mpg. This is based on a daily commute to work of 35 miles each way with about 25 miles on motorway and the rest on a mixture of a-roads and local urban roads. I am very pleased with my car and the mp considering i previously had an 06 IS220 d sport which was giving me an average mpg of 31mpg!!!

thanks for the reply guys.

so low to mid 30's then,depending on how i drive,i do poodle about nowadays so,should be ok.

hows the seating position by the way,im 5.11 and sitting in my guv,s 220d,i seem a bit high up,ive not played around with it though,but the gs was similar.

Having driven several of each, including the Alpina D3, I would say this: They are too close to call if you are unbiased.....

The immediate ride in the IS feels better - i.e. at town speeds - UNLESS you ditch the run flats in the E90, in which case it is better. The Lexus can feel "bouncy" at times - proven by my 10 year old who was always travel sick in the Lex on A roads...never in other cars/roads!

Handling in the 3 series is on a par with the Lexus (though it is slight understeer orientated), but the steering gives you a nicer "by the seats of yer pants" in the E90, better feel etc and feels more secure on bumpy roads and at motorway speed than the Lex.

Fuel economy - you really will be lucky to break 45-7mpg+ in the lex on a regular basis (more exception than a rule). The BMW will hit 50mpg driven moderatly as I'm sure you know...

Refinement - the Lexus is very very refined unless you hit 3600rpm plus - then it can sound a bit rougher than it is - it always stays smooth...the BMW is quieter overall - largely because the IS has too much road noise

Gearing - BMW wins every single time - the Lexus gearing is very tall - too tall for easy motorway driving as you are constantly going between 5th and 6th at 70mph!! The Lexus gearchange is not too great, especially 1st - 2nd...a bit baulky at times

Seats and comfort - BM wins according to my back - BMW seats are better over longer journeys, support you better - but it's very personal...try before you buy!

Finally - Satnav if needed - new iDrive in the beemer will be great (harddrive, USB etc), the BMW Online and Connected drive is fantastic 'cos you can download google maps straight to the car Satnav/phonebook...lexus has touch screen and rear camera, but it comes as a package costing almost £3000's, whereas in the BMW you can have just the Bluetooth if you want...Lexus Satnav is conventional, but sound system is superb

With the BMW - you really need to specify the hiFi loudspeaker system, USB and Bluetooth, Metallic paint and leather as a minimum if you want a reasonable spec - but it will cost pennies...in the Lexus you get it all for "free" or in packs and the overall package is very competitively priced!!

Lexus does claw back any technical limitations with uperb looks, clever packaging and options which are standard, such as keyless etc.

Bottom line is you need a long test drive and decide for yourself...

scarlet,thanks for that mate.

a test drive will be needed,i can do without the hassle from the dealers sometimes though,always seem under pressure,with the gs,i only went in for a brochure and ended up having a test drive.

oh and they offered me £16500,for mine,which is highly specced,i was gutted,as it cost £29500,in nov 06,so ill be looking at pre owned around 1-2 years old,im done with buying new now,ill let some one else take the loss.

Lexus GB will let you have a demonstrator, delivered to and picked up from your door, for 3 days or so, if you ask nicely. No charge, you just have to put temporary insurance cover on it. Much better way of testing, without some sales bloke feeding you a spiel on a 20 minute run-out.

scarlet,thanks for that mate.

a test drive will be needed,i can do without the hassle from the dealers sometimes though,always seem under pressure,with the gs,i only went in for a brochure and ended up having a test drive.

oh and they offered me £16500,for mine,which is highly specced,i was gutted,as it cost £29500,in nov 06,so ill be looking at pre owned around 1-2 years old,im done with buying new now,ill let some one else take the loss.

You're welcome...

Having a budget of £20-30k now can buy you a lot of 2nd hand car...it really is not worth going for a new one at all. I bought 3 new cars on the trot - never again!

Good luck - if you value rarity, the feeling of luxury and optional extras over a scintilating drive, then the Lex is yours for the taking...and if you do go for a 1-2 year old, pay close attention to the MPG....mine dropped to 37mpg on 90% motorway runs at the speed limis and not driven hard...tho' mine was one of the first...

thanks mate,what do i do though,just contact lexus uk,and take it from there.
Lexus Corporate Demo Control 01494 510334. Mine was arranged through another dealer via the finance company, so not sure if you can go directly to them if it's a private purchase, but if you ring them, then at least they can tell you the protocol. Your local dealer will normally let you have one for a day or so as well, if they've got a spare spec of the one that you want available. I did it both ways, so had six days' worth of running around on my own in total :winky:

And I never got the Satnav to find an address in all that time - it's only Norfolk ffs, not the middle of the amazon....needless to say, when mine turns up next week, I will be consulting the manual!

Having driven several of each, including the Alpina D3, I would say this: They are too close to call if you are unbiased.....

The immediate ride in the IS feels better - i.e. at town speeds - UNLESS you ditch the run flats in the E90, in which case it is better. The Lexus can feel "bouncy" at times - proven by my 10 year old who was always travel sick in the Lex on A roads...never in other cars/roads!

Handling in the 3 series is on a par with the Lexus (though it is slight understeer orientated), but the steering gives you a nicer "by the seats of yer pants" in the E90, better feel etc and feels more secure on bumpy roads and at motorway speed than the Lex.

Fuel economy - you really will be lucky to break 45-7mpg+ in the lex on a regular basis (more exception than a rule). The BMW will hit 50mpg driven moderatly as I'm sure you know...

Refinement - the Lexus is very very refined unless you hit 3600rpm plus - then it can sound a bit rougher than it is - it always stays smooth...the BMW is quieter overall - largely because the IS has too much road noise

Gearing - BMW wins every single time - the Lexus gearing is very tall - too tall for easy motorway driving as you are constantly going between 5th and 6th at 70mph!! The Lexus gearchange is not too great, especially 1st - 2nd...a bit baulky at times

Seats and comfort - BM wins according to my back - BMW seats are better over longer journeys, support you better - but it's very personal...try before you buy!

That's quite a diatribe Jamboo/Scarlett Pimp, but :offtopic: . Tinka was actually asking for info on the IS250, not your foresaken 220D.

Oh, yes.. :whistling: ..I've gone auto pilot again

:lol:

Seriously though - I'm glad he's not even considering swopping a BMW320d for an IS220d...

Basically if you're getting an IS250 Auto, scrub everything to do with the diesel from my post above, everything else still largly applies...though the IS250 Road noise is prevalent and can make it noisier than a 320d inside...and you should get 35-40mpg in the IS250 Auto. Just don't take the manual one...no matter how good a deal!

If you go 2nd hand, get the SEL or Sport Auto...if it's new get the SE Auto

i would say so,the commute to work is a 60 mile round trip,about 36-40 miles of that is on the a2,then when im not at work its around town,a roads,etc,its auto aswell,and ive been driving carefully of late,to save a bit as im using the car every day for work,because some dirty scumbags stole my motor bike.

If you go 2nd hand, get the SEL or Sport Auto...if it's new get the SE Auto

If you take this advice then don't look at an SE-L cos if you do you'll want one.

New, it's two grand more than the SE but the wood trim lifts the interior of the car giving it an ambience the others don't have.

The front and rear parking sensors are a must, imo, as it isn't the easiest car to see out the back of. Out of the other extras you get, memory seats are useful I suppose.

my minds made up on the se-l.

for heated/ventilated seats,wood etc,oh and i want to find one with acc,as normal cruise is a waste of time imo,as you are always on off with,which is frustrating.

Hope you eventually get the spec. you want.

The Acc frightened the life out of me, it seemed as if someone else was controlling the car, I suppose it's just a case of getting used to it, I prefer the basic version however.

hello,

thanks guys.

Hi Tinka

Running both a IS250 sel auto over the last 2.5 years and a new BMW 320d M sport auto together I can comment on both but to cut a long rant down the IS 250 is one great car with a few minor flaws .with cost of ownership and you can live with the difference in fuel consumption - my IS averages between 26-32 around town and will get as high as 38-40 on a run where as the BMW always hit 40+ around town and 50-55 on a run and not hanging about .IMO the BMW has it on the drive if you want to push along plus good Bluetooth and sat nav you can use on the move and the IS is – well I feel good in it and it just floats along .after running both side by side for the last 11 months ( yes I know its petrol verses diesel ) I seem to pick up the Lexus keys over the weekend and although there are many rants on the lexus on this site I have not got a good response from BMW when I have had major problems with the BMW from new .

cheers

swager

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links