Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To keep a long story short, a Lexus LS430 I know of went into a dealer for a "noise". The dealer says it is a front wheel bearing and would cost over £3k to replace, but the work cannot be that extensive because it is being done the next day without prior booking etc. Does this sound right? It seems a lot for a wheel bearing alone. The car has been well looked after and regularly serviced by the dealer and is not near going round the clock.

PS For an unfathomable reason I originally posted in the GS series forum, apologies for dual post. Hopefully someone can delete the other one for me.

To keep a long story short, a Lexus LS430 I know of went into a dealer for a "noise". The dealer says it is a front wheel bearing and would cost over £3k to replace, but the work cannot be that extensive because it is being done the next day without prior booking etc. Does this sound right? It seems a lot for a wheel bearing alone. The car has been well looked after and regularly serviced by the dealer and is not near going round the clock.

PS For an unfathomable reason I originally posted in the GS series forum, apologies for dual post. Hopefully someone can delete the other one for me.

Hi

The wheel bearings on the 400/430 are absolutely amasing, when its off the ground give the wheel a gentle spin and it goes on forever, I'm sure others have noticed how well the cars coast, they seem to go on forever. I see BMW are just advertising low friction wheel bearings on their latest cars.... a bit behind the times....

However £3k to replace seems rather high, are you sure it’s just the bearing, the only thing I have seen is a new rear hub AND bearing on fleabay USA brand new for $200.

I would get your mate to ask exactly what he is getting and maybe try an independent...

Pete

I don't know exactly what is being replaced but that is what I was told. He is not paying though. I get my Lexus serviced independently.

that sounds very expensive,, is there any other parts that need replaced,, eg on my old bmw the rear bearing needed replaced but it also killed the abs sensor, trailing arm and even the driveshaft!!! I fixed it then the cat went so I scrapped it!!

Hi

The wheel bearings on the 400/430 are absolutely amasing, when its off the ground give the wheel a gentle spin and it goes on forever, I'm sure others have noticed how well the cars coast, they seem to go on forever. I see BMW are just advertising low friction wheel bearings on their latest cars.... a bit behind the times....

However £3k to replace seems rather high, are you sure it’s just the bearing, the only thing I have seen is a new rear hub AND bearing on fleabay USA brand new for $200.

I would get your mate to ask exactly what he is getting and maybe try an independent...

Pete

With regards to the wheel bearings is it ok to slip the auto into neutral when on a suitable downhill stretch and back into gear when needed? or is that just a silly question!! else i cant see the point of a free flowing bearing in a car thats alwats going to be in gear. If that makes any sense.

steve.

With regards to the wheel bearings is it ok to slip the auto into neutral when on a suitable downhill stretch and back into gear when needed? or is that just a silly question!! else i cant see the point of a free flowing bearing in a car thats alwats going to be in gear. If that makes any sense.

steve.

Neutral should not be selected when driving. As far as I am aware the oil pump will not operate correctly to lubricate the box if N is selected, quite apart from the safety aspect. The free flowing bearings will reduce rolling resistance and help to improve MPG and being free flowing will also theoretically have a longer life.

Hi

You should never "coast" in a car, firstly it’s an offence, you have to be under power at all times and coasting is seen as not being... yes there are loads of times when you have to, changing gear etc but deliberately coasting is not allowed (how they know you are doing it is another matter!!)

Also as Dave has said the auto box will get damaged, it will still be turning because the prop shaft will still be turning but the oil pump is driven from the engine side so you will lose pressure and wear it out....

On our clever boxes they do, sort of, slip out of gear when you back off, try it on a flat road and you can just feel the car sort of run on when you back off.

The 430's box annoys me because if you are going downhill and you touch the brakes it changes down to help stop you "running away" They think it's a good idea, to me it wastes petrol.....

Pete

Thanks - explanations taken on board . This is my first auto car so am still leaning (a year on lol). And would never do anything detrimental to the ls as any major repairs would probably be to expensive.... said remembering my mot's in dec lol.

steve

They are clever gearboxes, my wife managed to get the selector into reverse (don't ask me how) while I was trying to get her to use the lower gears on a long steep downhill stretch (selecting before the decent), and nothing happened .

I think on the 430 is almost has a auto cruse control , as once you reach your desired speed it seems to stay at that speed with out you having to move the accelerator

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links