Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can You Tell If 'my' Is Has Been Wim'ed?

Suppose you were to sit in an IS - would you be able to tell instantly (by driving it) that it had been to Wheels In Motion or not? Is the improvement that recognisable?

Or suppose a Lexus Dealer nearly got the tracking/geometry right you wouldn't know for sure?

If it's wearing the tyres evenly and handles ok on the road i would leave well enough alone .... but if either of those are a problem then you should get a full geometry check done...

The answer is no the difference is not large enough on the handling front to be noticeable when you sit in any random IS. However once done to your own car you do notice the difference straight away.

I had the problem with front tyre wear on my IS300, I had 4 new Avon ZZ3 tyres put on at 30122 miles.

and over the following months the fronts wore quite badly on the edge, where the tread pattern had worn away to the tread wear bars.

I went to Lexus Coventry who recommended a full alignment be carried out and a pair of Dunlop SP9000's (Lexus type) be fitted on the front.

This was carried out at 34624 miles; and the car was tranformed it felt much better to drive, better handling and a much nore direct feeling to the steering. I have kept an eye on the front tyre wear since this and all apears well, no noticable difference in wear across the tread.

On the cars recent service at Lexus Birmingham with mileage at 38347 Dunlop fronts were reported at 7mm Inner 7mm Middle and 7mm Outer tread depth on both front tyres, rears at 4mm inner 4mm middle and 5mm outer (Avon ZZ3's); so I am satisfied with the outcome, but what made the biggest difference is a difficult call -tyre choice, alignment or both?

My driving is mainly around town commutes, along with 1000 miles to ireland and back fully loaded on the new tyres.

Hope this helps

:)

I went to Lexus Coventry who recommended a full alignment be carried out and a pair of Dunlop SP9000's (Lexus type) be fitted on the front.

This was carried out at 34624 miles; and the car was tranformed it felt much better to drive, better handling and a much nore direct feeling to the steering. I have kept an eye on the front tyre wear since this and all apears well, no noticable difference in wear across the tread.

On the cars recent service at Lexus Birmingham with mileage at 38347 Dunlop fronts were reported at 7mm Inner 7mm Middle and 7mm Outer tread depth on both front tyres, rears at 4mm inner 4mm middle and 5mm outer (Avon ZZ3's); so I am satisfied with the outcome, but what made the biggest difference is a difficult call -tyre choice, alignment or both?

My driving is mainly around town commutes, along with 1000 miles to ireland and back fully loaded on the new tyres.

A lot of the more enlightened Stealerships are using the WIM settings now rather than the Lexus 'optimum' settings, and unfortunately Tony never made a bean out of his publicised corrective settings. It's quite possible Lexus Coventry is one of them :shifty:

A lot of the more enlightened Stealerships are using the WIM settings now rather than the Lexus 'optimum' settings, and unfortunately Tony never made a bean out of his publicised corrective settings. It's quite possible Lexus Coventry is one of them :shifty:

That's rather public spirited of him, and why I'm driving all the way up there on Friday, so at least my money goes to him!

Looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference or not.

Nev

Do you think they told him the standard OE settings but set the car to the correct (WIM) settings ?

No.... The final positions are OEM.

Without complicating the thread the actual problem is the castor but to correct this the camber needs to be between -10' to -15', it's not so the camber/ castor is OEM.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links