Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

5 Or 6 Speed Version

Maybe SC

Well after faffing about for ages and looking at SLKs, Boxster Ss and loads of TVR Chims, 'er indoors has decided that she doesn't want to be sat at kerb height, and likes the idea of the luxury of an SC after all! So going for a test drive in a '05 reg 5spd auto on the weekend. I am in the price range though where I might be able to get a 6 speeder with the newer wheels etc for not that much more dosh than the older version. Seems an obvious answer as to which one to go for, however one is on the doorstep and the other is 100+ mls away! So anyone with experience of both versions who can offer enlightenment?

Thanks in anticipation!

Reckon I'm nearly there!! :driving:

My recommendation would be to check the specifications of the different models, you might find the fuel economy and emissions might be different between the models which might make a difference in todays climate! I'd guess that the 6 speed would be more economical.

If the price difference isn't huge, then the newer one is the one to go. Yep the 6 speed is smoother and more economical, plus I think it has a manual shift as well whereas I don't think the 5 speed does?

Also it has a few cosmetic upgrades, different bumpers, alloys, headlights, LED rear lights, different wood trim. Best to see them both and decide which you prefer :)

I would go with the 6 speed. Its faster :)

That had occured to me! But "on paper" it doesn't appear to be that much difference, just wondered if on the road it felt that much quicker. Guess there is only one way to find out, try 'em both.

Of course the other thought is get a decent 5spd and spend some of the dosh saved, on exhausts and remap etc., to add a little more sparkle?!

Anyway going to try an 2005 5spd tomorrow.

I would go with the 6 speed. Its faster :)

That had occured to me! But "on paper" it doesn't appear to be that much difference, just wondered if on the road it felt that much quicker. Guess there is only one way to find out, try 'em both.

Of course the other thought is get a decent 5spd and spend some of the dosh saved, on exhausts and remap etc., to add a little more sparkle?!

Anyway going to try an 2005 5spd tomorrow.

Well Ive only heard its better tbh. I drive around mostly in 3rd gear makes a lovely rumble but would love to be able to change through the gears like you can in the 6 speed -/+

Let us know :)

Well I've now bought a 7speed..............................................in a SLK350!

Tried the 2005 SC on the weekend. Very smooth and drove well but loads of stone chips and paintwork marks. Too many for a £23k car.

I expressed interest in the '55 plate 6spd the Dealer had in Cardiff but they made a poor p/x offer on mine and only moved by about £500 on their £28k price. So "Deal or No Deal?" ........................No deal!!

The Merc just happened to come on Autotrader Sat evening. Local Independent Garage. Took it out today, drove well, well specced, comfortable, a year newer, just 13k miles and around £10k less and not a mark on it.

End of.

Perhaps I will always be "Maybe SC" !!!

Enjoy whatever you are driving

Bye :D

Well done bud. I drove the SLK and the 55. The 55 was just vulgar (and expensive) the SLK i found to be a bit lacking in build quality and fit/finish. My mate 'mad 2mercs Al' swears by the brand but was almost swayed when he gave the SC a lookover at my wedding.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your Merc though. But i think they still have some work to do to re-gain the crown they used to wear. Mainly the dealer service.

Happy driving!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links