Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is A Gs The Right Model For Me With A Budget Of £3k?

Hello wise lexus ones!

I am new to his fine forum of yours, as after many years of admiring the breed, I am finally going to purchase one. :)

As mentioned, I have a budget of upto £3k (and no more) and have seen quite a few Mk2 GS 300's in the £2-3k range on the likes of Autotrader.

eg:

GS 300 Sport

I have been madly reading up on the forum about all sorts but currently have 3 questions:

1) Is it worth spending the extra on a sport, as they certainly look much better, but the non sport ones might have less miles etc?

2) Is the navigator worth getting? Or is it best avoided? I am right in thinking that a non navigator model is easier to put an aftermarket CD playing in if its required? I do have a normal external Satnav for when I require it.

3) Are they really as realiable as I am LED to belive, eg VERY, or do they have issues that I need to look out for?

Many thanks for any help. :D

Hi

These cars are very reliable but that is reliant on them being looked after.

To be honest - the main cost of running a car like a lexus is not the purchase price at this level - Its the keeping it on the road.

They are not the most fuel efficient (3 litre straight 6) and whilst very reliable - if something does go wrong its going to cost you. Also, just general running costs like tyres etc are not cheap.

The biggie on an older GS is the Brake Master Cylinder - ~2 grand for the part alone......tend to fail around the 100K mark from others experience.

Have the satnav in mine - which I do like - Stops all that fiddling about with wires, suckers and plugging things in - plus you get a position fix within seconds not minutes. The new portable units have a lot more functionality (postcode search, Bluetooth etc) - I also have one of these for when driving other cars - but just like the fact I get in my Lexus and its all ready to go - without worrying about someone breaking into my car to steal it because theres a sticker mark on my window.

Best of luck ....

Edited because I stupidly put V6 iso straight 6 - Is it only Monday?

Edited by Mark W

Hi Mark, thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

I am quite familier with buying cars, so will definatley be looking out for one that is really tidy with lots of service history etc, even if it means not getting a sport model.

The brake master cylinder side of it sounds frightening to me, I need to read up on that.

Tyres and fuel (on the straight six?) shoudn't be a problem within my budget. :) I am happy for it not to be cheap to run, but I don't want it to try and ruin me every month. :unsure:

They are not the most fuel efficient (3 litre V6) and whilst very reliable - if something does go wrong its going to cost you. Also, just general running costs like tyres etc are not cheap.

V6? it's a straight-six...

Rest of it is spot-on though, these are not cheap cars to run, though if you're only spending 3k to start with them I suppose depreciation, usually the biggest cost of ownership, isn't going to hit you too badly. Fuel disappears at an alarming rate, and servicing isn't cheap. Depends how many miles you intend to do I think, if you want it for a high-mileage car then it's perhaps not the best choice. But if, like me, you use it as an occasional runabout plus infrequent long trips where you have a chance to stretch it's legs, then they are very good cars indeed. The main factor is the comfort (excellent), the power (superb, though I have the V8) and general 'waftability'; it gets you where you're going in silence and comfort and everything is just so effortless.

High mileage GS will need the suspension looking at. The GS is a big heavy car and over time the suspension will wear.

Lower ball joints are the first to go.

For me, the fuel bill was one of the main reasons I got rid of mine, mpg can drop as low as 18

Thanks Mike. B)

It would be for my 10 mile daily commute to work, and occational long journeys like you say. I was thinking that a 3.0 might suit me better (although the best example so far that I have seen is a 4.3) as it will be slightly less thirsty and still more than powerfull enough for my needs. Would it achieve a genuine 25mpg in normal use and a bit more on a run? Or am I being unrealistic?

Also, when it comes to a £2.5k car, I am not sure it would be wise to have it serviced at a main dealer, so that would I hope save a large amount of the costs. Of course I would still look after the car, as I understand the requirement to look after such machines.

Hmmm, not sure if you chaps are helping me talk myself out of it now...... :blink:

High mileage GS will need the suspension looking at. The GS is a big heavy car and over time the suspension will wear.

Lower ball joints are the first to go.

For me, the fuel bill was one of the main reasons I got rid of mine, mpg can drop as low as 18

Right ok, thanks for the warning.

18 is low, its 14 more than I get on track in my 200, but its still low. :hehe:

Thanks Mike. B)

It would be for my 10 mile daily commute to work, and occational long journeys like you say. I was thinking that a 3.0 might suit me better (although the best example so far that I have seen is a 4.3) as it will be slightly less thirsty and still more than powerfull enough for my needs. Would it achieve a genuine 25mpg in normal use and a bit more on a run? Or am I being unrealistic?

Also, when it comes to a £2.5k car, I am not sure it would be wise to have it serviced at a main dealer, so that would I hope save a large amount of the costs. Of course I would still look after the car, as I understand the requirement to look after such machines.

Hmmm, not sure if you chaps are helping me talk myself out of it now...... :blink:

If those 10 miles are on quietish roads, ie not stop-start heavy traffic, then you might get 25mpg out of it. I get about 23 over the course of an average tank, but struggle to better 27 even on a run. A whole tank round town might only be about 17 or so. I'm not sure the 3 litre is actually a whole lot more economical anyway, the official figures are only about 1 or 2mpg better round town and perhaps 4 to 5mpg better on a run - so not a whole lot in it. It is often best to buy on condition anyway, the 4.3 will be less popular and so better value, even if it does use a touch more fuel. And they go an awful lot better, too :)

Agree with Mike above and that matches what I'm getting......but any kind of stop/start driving and your going to be in sub 20 territory.

Given the short distance you do (it will only just have warmed up) - I'd possibly go for a 430 - There will be nothing in it in terms of consumption and its a completely different animal - You can surprise quite a few boy racers :whistling:

Agree with Mike above and that matches what I'm getting......but any kind of stop/start driving and your going to be in sub 20 territory.

Given the short distance you do (it will only just have warmed up) - I'd possibly go for a 430 - There will be nothing in it in terms of consumption and its a completely different animal - You can surprise quite a few boy racers :whistling:

Consumption in my 430 is certainly very similar to what I used to get in my 300 Sport...although that was a series 1. I find 430 slightly better "around town" type driving with lots more power.

Agree with all the above - I have a late 2000 facelift GS300 so hopefully have avoided the master brake cylinder problem plus you get more airbags on the facelift. Last April paid £4.1k for it so should be easy to pick something similar up now for 3k.

Also, it's a Navigator which I think is well worth going for - definitely the best sat nav I've ever used, million times better than any portable unit I've used, ready to go in less than 10 secs, lowers the radio when giving directions, etc. etc. Also with the Navigator you don't just get the sat nav, you also get trip computer and much nicer controls for climate, audio, etc. plus you avoid the problem with the leaking LCD screens on the non sat nav models.

I get better than others quoted with regards to MPG - 30mpg possible on a run with a/c off, not even driving like a nun.

Being honest - After just over 6 months of owning a GS300 my one and only regret is that I didn't buy a GS430 :winky:

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Agree with all the above - I have a late 2000 facelift GS300 so hopefully have avoided the master brake cylinder problem plus you get more airbags on the facelift. Last April paid £4.1k for it so should be easy to pick something similar up now for 3k.

Also, it's a Navigator which I think is well worth going for - definitely the best sat nav I've ever used, million times better than any portable unit I've used, ready to go in less than 10 secs, lowers the radio when giving directions, etc. etc. Also with the Navigator you don't just get the sat nav, you also get trip computer and much nicer controls for climate, audio, etc. plus you avoid the problem with the leaking LCD screens on the non sat nav models.

I get better than others quoted with regards to MPG - 30mpg possible on a run with a/c off, not even driving like a nun.

Being honest - After just over 6 months of owning a GS300 my one and only regret is that I didn't buy a GS430 :winky:

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Here's list of differences/improvements with facelift Mk2: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...p;id=69&c=3

I've had my 1999 GS200SE for eight years now and the only parts I have had to replace have been consumables and it has been 100% reliable. As far as fuel consumption is concerned I do 18 miles each way to work on Norwich ring road and main roads and regularly get about 32 mpg. On a run 33 to 34 is not difficult and I have had over 36 on a trip to Scotland. Arround town on short trips it returns about 15 mpg. Like every other car, the consumption depends on how you drive it and how heavy your right foot is. The car has now done just over 70,000 miles and it's about 3/4 through it's second set of tyres. Servicing is a significant cost but I get mine done by an ex-Lexus dealer whose charges are much lower than the main dealer. It's certainly the best car I've ever had and I woud definitely get another one. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had my 1999 GS200SE for eight years now and the only parts I have had to replace have been consumables and it has been 100% reliable. As far as fuel consumption is concerned I do 18 miles each way to work on Norwich ring road and main roads and regularly get about 32 mpg. On a run 33 to 34 is not difficult and I have had over 36 on a trip to Scotland. Arround town on short trips it returns about 15 mpg. Like every other car, the consumption depends on how you drive it and how heavy your right foot is. The car has now done just over 70,000 miles and it's about 3/4 through it's second set of tyres. Servicing is a significant cost but I get mine done by an ex-Lexus dealer whose charges are much lower than the main dealer. It's certainly the best car I've ever had and I woud definitely get another one. I hope this helps.

Aye, but don't forget when you cross the border into Scotland we have shorter miles north o' the border to make the petrol go that wee bit further.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links