Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help : Lexus Service Plan :

S Face

Being relatively new to the Lexus World can I ask if any one has an opinion on Lexus Service Plan or taken one out ( paying now with some discount to cover the next two services)

I have a number of reservations but really would appreciate any/all thoughts.

Got my Lexus just before Christmas and like many others it was a year old demonstrator with very low mileage. It will only do four to six thousand miles a year and hence servicing will be an annual affair. I also took out a further two years warrenty when I bought the car effectively giving me a further four years piece of mind.

As I understand it, after speaking to Lexus GB earlier

(i) you dont need to have your vehicle serviced by a lexus authorised dealer to enjoy the initial three years warrenty, however

(ii) to take advantage of the extended warrenty (years 4 & 5) you do need to have your vehicle serviced by a Lexus main dealer

My reservations :-

(i) Lexus GB have assured me that they will underwrite my service contract with a franchise dealer and should that dealer go under (& no other of that franchise dealership exists) they will settle the account with a n other franchise dealership to support my maintenance/service contract. ( however it's not in writting anywhere and 'George' from Lexus GB Public Relations didnt fancy putting it in writting for me this morning )

(ii) there would appear to be a serious differential in servicing pricing for what Lexus GB say is the same servicing schedule "QUOTE however, some dealerships may carry out additional work to the mandatory required and charge accordingly.

Dealership A : 20 & 30K service charge £696

Dealership B : 20 & 30K service charge £670

Dealership C : 20 & 30K service charge £566 :ohmy:

All dealerships within 40 minute drive.

Feel like kicking up but still not sure what to do ? why cant Lexus make things :tsktsk: easier for us to do business with them?

Rant Over !!

Thoughts appreciated.

Being relatively new to the Lexus World can I ask if any one has an opinion on Lexus Service Plan or taken one out ( paying now with some discount to cover the next two services)

I have a number of reservations but really would appreciate any/all thoughts.

Got my Lexus just before Christmas and like many others it was a year old demonstrator with very low mileage. It will only do four to six thousand miles a year and hence servicing will be an annual affair. I also took out a further two years warrenty when I bought the car effectively giving me a further four years piece of mind.

As I understand it, after speaking to Lexus GB earlier

(i) you dont need to have your vehicle serviced by a lexus authorised dealer to enjoy the initial three years warrenty, however

(ii) to take advantage of the extended warrenty (years 4 & 5) you do need to have your vehicle serviced by a Lexus main dealer

My reservations :-

(i) Lexus GB have assured me that they will underwrite my service contract with a franchise dealer and should that dealer go under (& no other of that franchise dealership exists) they will settle the account with a n other franchise dealership to support my maintenance/service contract. ( however it's not in writting anywhere and 'George' from Lexus GB Public Relations didnt fancy putting it in writting for me this morning )

(ii) there would appear to be a serious differential in servicing pricing for what Lexus GB say is the same servicing schedule "QUOTE however, some dealerships may carry out additional work to the mandatory required and charge accordingly.

Dealership A : 20 & 30K service charge £696

Dealership B : 20 & 30K service charge £670

Dealership C : 20 & 30K service charge £566 :ohmy:

All dealerships within 40 minute drive.

Feel like kicking up but still not sure what to do ? why cant Lexus make things :tsktsk: easier for us to do business with them?

Rant Over !!

Thoughts appreciated.

Having had similar experiences/doubts/concerns & not heard from Lexus following my (acknowledged) complaint I have tried again today to ascertain exactly where Lexus customers stand.

We all KNOW where Lexus Gb stand on this thorny issue. Basically; the delears had standards the Lexus expect them to meet, but they are allowed to charge a rate they feel appropriate to the locale they are in.

OK, so here's an idea.......

Why doesn't the membership of LOC get together on this? If we all make a call to the dealers in our area & ascertain the costs of servicing our vehicles & send them in we can compile an independent register of dealer charges - if we can add a star rating based on our dealer experiences that would be even better.

Nothing like people power to get things done!

Anyone else interested?

We all know Lexus monitor this site & note everything we say. So, Lexus & your dealers - beware the owners could be about to fight back, this a problem that's costing us all money & damaging the Lexus brand at the same time - how many ripped off owners will buy again?

A collegue has had his 320cdi Merc 4X4 serviced at his main agent, less than 40 miles from me, for more than £100 LESS then the CHEAPEST Lexus main delear I could find within the same radius - this 1st service to fisrt service comparision.

Some of the other service figures on here make for horrific reading.

If Lexus think that people like me, who buy a new Lexus, can afford the high prices, what about the 2nd or 3rd owners? Are they also considered "well healed"?

The problem I can forsee with Hybids is there are very few non-main-agents out there able to do the work & carry out diagnostices. So Lexus (et al) will have a closed shop setup able to do & charge what they please........

On the basis of mu experiences.... well let's just say the jury's out for a few more days to see if Lexus have the courage & commitment to their customers/owners to "encourage" change.

Remember, the dealers & manufacturers need you more than you need them - you can always buy elsewhere & there's always to good old "Sale of Goods Act" & "Merchantable Quality" to fall back on - not to mention publicity ..... Ooops I forgot, "there's no such thing as bad publicity" LOL

I would want that in black and white.

This would be the ONLY way I would consider a Service Plan at the moment. I'm also quite reluctant because dealerships could get taken over and standards slip leaving you HAVING to go that particular one (or another one from their "group").

I would want that in black and white.

This would be the ONLY way I would consider a Service Plan at the moment. I'm also quite reluctant because dealerships could get taken over and standards slip leaving you HAVING to go that particular one (or another one from their "group").

Cheers Normski, much appreciated.

Unfortunately it wouldnt be that easy as my dealer is as far as I know the only singular dealer i.e. there are no other Lexus dealers in their franchise.

Sounds like a rock and a hard place.

Having Read this thread once more i think given the low mileage you say you do pherhaps you could ask for a refund on the extended warranty, and when the original warranty runs out take a personal warranty with someone like warranty direct. Who do not stipulate where the work is done so long as they company is vat registered. Any long term guarantees given rely on the company still being in buisness and in the current climate any company could fail even Toyota thus making any warranty invalid. As for the cost of servicing you can take it to any toyota garage who can service it with out any problem at a whole lot less cost the point is keeping a full service history. However it can affect the resale of the car but then you have to weigh up the cost of full lexus service history against any extra depreciation you may possibly incur at trade in time. Given the low milage it may well not be worth going down the lexus service plan route if you plan on keeping it for the next 3/6 years.

Not sure this helps but just a few thoughts.

Glenn

Having Read this thread once more i think given the low mileage you say you do pherhaps you could ask for a refund on the extended warranty, and when the original warranty runs out take a personal warranty with someone like warranty direct. Who do not stipulate where the work is done so long as they company is vat registered. Any long term guarantees given rely on the company still being in buisness and in the current climate any company could fail even Toyota thus making any warranty invalid. As for the cost of servicing you can take it to any toyota garage who can service it with out any problem at a whole lot less cost the point is keeping a full service history. However it can affect the resale of the car but then you have to weigh up the cost of full lexus service history against any extra depreciation you may possibly incur at trade in time. Given the low milage it may well not be worth going down the lexus service plan route if you plan on keeping it for the next 3/6 years.

Not sure this helps but just a few thoughts.

Glenn

Many thanks Glenn,

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Mike S

How much is the service plan? If they offer you a decent deal then take it as there isn't really a downside to it.

I don't really think extended warranties are really worth it as Lexus cars as usually pretty reliable so may end up as wasted expense, especially as the extended warranties are not quite as comprehensive as the original warranty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links