Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200/300 Brakes? Are They The Same.

Skraggy_uk

I've used Akebono ceramic pads on a Celica GT4 I had in the past.

Sadly Akebonos aren't available in the this country, but they are in the US.

The US don't get the IS200 only the 300. Are the brakes the same?

Why do I want non e marked technically illegal pads?

Because even with the cost of shipping and if it gets customs busted, they still work out cheaper thanthe best decent european pads.

Add to the fact that they appear almost dustless and last longer, yet give better braking from the off, and don't fade works for me.

I know I can get them from Olympic online as I've ordered from them before, and their delivery is good, but I just want to make sure they fit before I order as they are only cheaper if they fit.

So are the two models the same brake wise?

i have ebc red stuff all around good braking but takes a while to heat up.

Good if youre running over 200bhp and much less brake dust. Better than green stuff which are way too soft.

i do like the red stuff. my mate had mintex pads on his bmw and he changed back to ebc stuff as they were crap.

i do like the red stuff. my mate had mintex pads on his bmw and he changed back to ebc stuff as they were crap.

Maybe Mintex pads don't suit the BMW OEM discs ? Because I don't recall anyone on LOC saying they were unhappy with Mintex on their IS200s. Or maybe they were fake Mintex ?

Maybe Mintex pads don't suit the BMW OEM discs ? Because I don't recall anyone on LOC saying they were unhappy with Mintex on their IS200s. Or maybe they were fake Mintex ?

hmm never know could be fake mintex. oh well i do like the EBC stuff i have on my car at the moment. will try mintex next time.

Thanks guys, What is dust like on 1144 compound Mintex pads, and EBC Reds?

Seriously, with the standard toyota pads on my old GT4 the wheels were black a couple of days after washing, and thick with dust after a month.

The Akebonos which I believe are OEM pads for Lexus and Toyota sporty models outside of Europe with the ceramic compound really cut the dust down to minimum, to the point that after a month between washes, there looked to be as much normal road dust on the car as on the wheels.

Is there an EBC red ceramic for the IS? I've heard good things about them on heavier cars, and lets face it, the IS is no lightweight.

I'm not interested in "track only" type pads that don't work until hot, or ones that work nicely when you are running big power.

Akebonos are already bedded in and pre-heated before they are packed, so they worked hard out of the box.

Engine wise I'm keeping it standard until I have a nice sorted chassis. That means brakes first (basically service items), then suspension as it wears (Probably go for budget coilover to keep travel while lowering the CoG slightly), then ARBs and finally bushes. Car has done 85k, and everything bar the tyres, pads and calipers is oringal according to the paperwork with it. I got the supplying garage to change the calipers as there was major binding, but now under moderate braking there is a little warp in the disc. No braking is no binding, heavy braking is smooth, but under moderate I can feel the pulse/wobble so when they wear I'll probably source a pair of brembo grooved iron discs for the front. Again from my GT4 experiences, I had DBA (based on brembo blanks) vented grooved on the front, and solid grooved on the rear. Really tightened braking along with the ceramic pads, no fade, no warm up, no bed in. I was amazed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links