Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220d Most Unreliable Car Ever !

I AM AN EASY GOING LEXUS OWNER, IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A CAR I LIVE WITH IT, CAUSE I CANT BE BOTHERED TO MOAN ABOUT IT OR DRIVE THE 50 MILES TO MY NEAREST LEXUS DEALER. BUT MY LEXUS IS220D, PURCHASED IN MAY 2006 (BRAND NEW) HAS HAD MORE ISSUES THAN I CAN BEAR TO THINK ABOUT.

MY CAR IS STILL IN WITH LEXUS AT THE MOMENT (WITH NO LOAN CAR FROM THEM) AND THEY HAVE HAD IT FOR ALMOST 3 WEEKS TO FIT A NEW CAT AND INSPECT THE PROBLEMS WITH THE TURBO. AT THE 60K SERVICE I COMPLAINED THAT THE TURBO SOUNDS LIKE A SEWING MACHINE ON DRUGS WHEN COLD, THEY SAID THEY LOOKED AT IT AND NOW AT 83K MILES THEY ARE LOOKING TO REPLACE IT, THATS IF LEXUS WILL ALLOW UNDER WARRANTY!! (WHICH OF COURSE IS 60K OR 3 YEARS)

THE CAT HAS BEEN REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY AND THIS BELIEVE IT OR NOT WILL PUT YOUR CAR INTO SAFE MODE (CANNOT GO OVER 2000 REVS). I THINK MY CAR HAS HAD FOUR 5TH INJECTORS AND THE MOST WORRYING THING IS IT HAD A NEW HEAD FITTED TO IT AT 60K SERVICE AND WAS OFF THE ROAD FOR 3 WEEKS.

IN THE EARLY DAYS IT HAD A NEW COMPUTER FITTED, THE RATTLES AND THE MIRROR SHAKE I LIVED WITH AND TO BE HONEST YOU DONT NOTICE IT AFTER A WHILE AND THE CAR IS QUICK YET DOES LIKE TO DRINK THE DIESEL (I ALWAYS USE SHELL). I DO LIKE THE CAR BUT DUE TO THE ISSUES I HAVE HAD WITH THIS CAR I WILL NOT BE LOOKING FOR A NEW LEXUS, I JUST HOPE THAT LEXUS OWNERS WHO TAKE TIME TO NOTCH UP THE MILEAGE DONT GET CAUGHT OUT WITH LARGE BILLS FOR NEW CATS, HEADS ETC MAYBE 5 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD.

I appreciate you are frustrated but I for one would still appreciate if you did not SHOUT (just etiquette).

Secondly, if your car has had issues since new - then what steps have you taken to reject the car? What [legal] advice have you sought with a view of enforcing your consumer rights? Have you kept a log of all incidents and actually sought dialogue with your Dealer and Lexus to resolve these problems?

Sometimes, all cars, suffer from niggles - and it is unfortunate that yours seems to be a 'Friday' car.

However, I have little sympathy for people in your position because you knew, within the first three years, how problematic your car was - but you still elected not to renew the Lexus Warranty. It is wholly unfair that, with every indication in the past, you decided to ignore extending the warranty and now expect Lexus to pick up the bill when it breaks? Sorry, but I for one have very little sympathy for you and your predicament...

I am sorry "IHPJ" that you have no sympathy with me, i wasnt actually looking for any sympathy!

Why should i reject a car? Why should i get legal advice? Do Lexus have FRIDAY cars?

All i am trying to do is warn those early IS220 owners that there maybe problems ahead if they dont cover high mileage and that they dont take out extended warranty at the 3 years or 60k miles point.

I have never been offered extended warranty but at no point have I said that Lexus have not paid for these items to be replaced. They still dont no for sure what is wrong with the turbo (they have said there is a problem with it) but i can assure you that all my neighbours can vouch for the noise it makes.

Most of the major problems have happened after 60k, like i said fifth injectors etc were all part of the parcel and i am not going to reject a car because of a mirror shake or rattles or line the legal systems pockets.

Lexus Uk have never returned my calls, when i have said that i am not happy when they call to do the survey. The dealer just seems to want to get me into a new IS. I have popped over to Toyota and they are very insistent that all IS 220's before 2008 are awful for engine problems etc and they distant themselves from that engine, Lexus dont really like to admit that!

Its just a list of my woes with what i have regarded as a nice comfortable car.

Also IHPJ, I was not shouting just left the CAPSLOCK on, Sorry! :blush:

I'm not sure its the most unreliable ever (altough they are all different and people all have different problems with their different cars) i have to say that mine although as a car i like it and am happy with the MPG (as i didnt buy mine for that) and the car in general. but with the problems i have had so far it wont be long before i am going to have a look for something else not sure on a BMW as everyone has one.... but maybe that tells you something used to have a skoda and am very tempted to go back.... turn the clock back 5-10 years i would have NEVER heard anyone saying that

No your right "moonpig" its not the MOST unreliable but that is the whole reason I went to Lexus because it did so well in surveys etc. My Passat that i owned before i didnt have one issue with and like you I am looking to go a class down now, Avensis (Which toyota keeps telling me is a different diesel engine to that found in the lexus) maybe a Mazda 6 2.2d, but sorry never a BMW!

But there is so many things I do like about the Lexus, Its just the reliability has let me down.

I AM AN EASY GOING LEXUS OWNER, IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A CAR I LIVE WITH IT, CAUSE I CANT BE BOTHERED TO MOAN ABOUT IT OR DRIVE THE 50 MILES TO MY NEAREST LEXUS DEALER. BUT MY LEXUS IS220D, PURCHASED IN MAY 2006 (BRAND NEW) HAS HAD MORE ISSUES THAN I CAN BEAR TO THINK ABOUT.

I fail to understand the logic of "living with it". If I notice anything untoward on my car I get it looked at ASAP, especially whilst it is still under warranty. I have warranty on mine until Aug.2010 but even if I hadn't, it is really a bit crazy not to get faults investigated at the earliest possible opportunity. What may be a minor problem now, could be a major issue even 100 miles later.

A leaking oil seal now could result in catastrophic damage later if not resolved. The same applies to any other things which you, as the driver, would notice such as changes to performance or handling of your car. A £1 job now can turn into a £1,000 job next week!

I hope though that they get to the bottom of your turbo issue and hopefully rectify it FOC since you had notified them prior to the warranty expiration.

Wow i am amazed at all the problems you seem to all get

Mine is one of the first 220's reg Dec 30 2005

yes i have had the usuall recalls but Dare i say this (touch wood)

i have never had an issue with a fith injector, or any other Engine related items

i am getting around 41MPG now on latest tank (which i am happy with)

I have taken out the Lexus extended warranty for Peace of mind

I have a small issue at the moment with a rattle on centre speaker, problem with drivers side wing mirror glass

& creeking from parcel shelf when warm called dealer and at first they said the extended warranty did not cover trim

but as i pointed out these are known issues, so they told me to just call in and some one will go out with me.

before they do anything.

other than That i cannot fault it

very comfortable nice drive, great toys Mark levinson Awesome and the rear parking camera Must have

Maybe as mine was one of the first in Diesel (dare i say it) the took time when building it :whistling:

Matt

Wow i am amazed at all the problems you seem to all get

Mine is one of the first 220's reg Dec 30 2005

yes i have had the usuall recalls but Dare i say this (touch wood)

i have never had an issue with a fith injector, or any other Engine related items

i am getting around 41MPG now on latest tank (which i am happy with)

I have taken out the Lexus extended warranty for Peace of mind

I have a small issue at the moment with a rattle on centre speaker, problem with drivers side wing mirror glass

& creeking from parcel shelf when warm called dealer and at first they said the extended warranty did not cover trim

but as i pointed out these are known issues, so they told me to just call in and some one will go out with me.

before they do anything.

other than That i cannot fault it

very comfortable nice drive, great toys Mark levinson Awesome and the rear parking camera Must have

Maybe as mine was one of the first in Diesel (dare i say it) the took time when building it :whistling:

Matt

and after mr.itchifanny had practiced on your car,he built mine,will be looking to change early 2010.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links