Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

One Of My Springs Has Gone Soft

Sounds like it's about to break. Are these the OEM springs ? You could just get a new one from Lexus/Toyota, but that'll be expensive, e.g. approx £90-£100 list. Could be worth considering some lowering springs but then again that'll cost a lot more to install four all-round rather than just one.

You could of course get a second-hand spring, but you'll need to make sure it's the right height since the OEM springs seem to have varied a fair bit in height depending on model and year.

Sounds like it's about to break. Are these the OEM springs ? You could just get a new one from Lexus/Toyota, but that'll be expensive, e.g. approx £90-£100 list. Could be worth considering some lowering springs but then again that'll cost a lot more to install four all-round rather than just one.

You could of course get a second-hand spring, but you'll need to make sure it's the right height since the OEM springs seem to have varied a fair bit in height depending on model and year.

I am not actually sure if it is the oem spring, the guy i bought it off was a bit of a numpty and didnt know, I dont think it is the oem spring, I would prob be best getting all 4 replaced,

I am not actually sure if it is the oem spring, the guy i bought it off was a bit of a numpty and didnt know, I dont think it is the oem spring, I would prob be best getting all 4 replaced,

You should never fit second hand springs or shocks you are asking for loads of trouble with instability.

Red springs definitely aren't OEM. No idea how to tell if a spring is "soft" or not.

As regards replacing one spring, I seem to remember a while back Tony from WIM saying it was ok just to replace one shock at a time, and them not having to be done in pairs, so I was myself extrapolating that to springs and assuming the same would be true. I could be mis-remembering though, I'll see if I can find the thread (if it exists other than in my imagination ! :lol: )

Edit - ok, I found a post from Tony saying the opposite so I think perhaps I dreamt it ! :lol:

Red springs definitely aren't OEM. No idea how to tell if a spring is "soft" or not.

As regards replacing one spring, I seem to remember a while back Tony from WIM saying it was ok just to replace one shock at a time, and them not having to be done in pairs, so I was myself extrapolating that to springs and assuming the same would be true. I could be mis-remembering though, I'll see if I can find the thread (if it exists other than in my imagination ! :lol: )

Edit - ok, I found a post from Tony saying the opposite so I think perhaps I dreamt it ! :lol:

I remember reading somewhere that a sign of soft springs or them needing replacement is if the car doesnt return straight away if you push down on it, but i could of been dreaming that aswell, maybe i should get a 2nd opinion from a different garage

Could they show you (or can you see yourself ?) the car acting differently when you push down on the supposedly "soft" spring as opposed to the other ?

when i was out at it earlier i pushed down on both sides at the front and honestly couldnt tell the difference between them, just heading home now, maybe my dad might know he used to work in a garage, if not my cousin should know something about it

the spring is soft?? never in my 12 years working on cars have i heard such things right here goes....

pushing down on the wing and watching the car return checks the shocky's or struts

the red springs will prob be gmax

the only thing i've ever come accross is sagging springs which normally only happens to oe springs with big gaps between coils(which the is200 doesnt have)

if your spring was soft(sagging) say on your drivers side front,the car would sit lower on the drivers side front than on the passengers side front.

and you would have bad inside tyre wear on that side.

hope that helps.

ps

you will need to replace 4 as they are aftermarket springs so you have no way of telling the drop they have given your car ie10,20,30 or 40mm

if you had standard springs yes you could have just replaced one.

the spring is soft?? never in my 12 years working on cars have i heard such things right here goes....

pushing down on the wing and watching the car return checks the shocky's or struts

the red springs will prob be gmax

the only thing i've ever come accross is sagging springs which normally only happens to oe springs with big gaps between coils(which the is200 doesnt have)

if your spring was soft(sagging) say on your drivers side front,the car would sit lower on the drivers side front than on the passengers side front.

and you would have bad inside tyre wear on that side.

hope that helps.

ps

you will need to replace 4 as they are aftermarket springs so you have no way of telling the drop they have given your car ie10,20,30 or 40mm

if you had standard springs yes you could have just replaced one.

my car doesnt seem to sit lower on any side so do you think it is ok and the lad in the garage is just a bit of a :tsktsk:

thanks for the quick reply

what made him say you had a soft spring did you take the car in due to a fault or were you just getting a service?

i would say the boy is just a doughnut and after some of your pounds or euro's!!!!

what made him say you had a soft spring did you take the car in due to a fault or were you just getting a service?

i would say the boy is just a doughnut and after some of your pounds or euro's!!!!

it was just in for a service, needed new tyres and just get it checked over before it went through the nct

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links