Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Air Intake For Prolex Induction Kit

StuP

Hi, I'm relatively new to LOC so apologies to all the senior members if I'm covering old ground. I've just fitted a Prolex induction kit and noticed that there's not much chance for cold air to flow around the filter as the carbon fibre cold air box wont fit on this type with the pipe running accross the front of the engine and in its standard state the engine bay is pretty well sealed.

I noticed that there is an intake in the bumper immidiately under where the filter element sits but sends air into a void. The only thing seperating this cold air source and the filter is wafer thin sheet metal so i set to it with a 76mm hole saw and hey presto there is now cold air pouring over the filter and a noticable increase in performance. I tidied it all up with a plastic insert and grille to stop leaves etc getting in and it seems well worth it for little or no cost at all. (pics to follow if i can remember how to use photobucket!

I remember another member did this and used a flexi pipe from next to the bottom fog light up through the inside of the wing, to the Prolex Induction Filter.

Yes we need pics to see what you did please :)

Keith

I think we def need pics mate,

Stav

Ok here goes... 1st pic shows standard air intake next to OS fog light in bumper.

standard bumper intake

Next picture is zoomed out showing air feed cut into the thin metal between engine bay and void where cold air goes through the intake (chrome grille over it below red filter)

cut air feed

Last pic is zoomed in on filter element and intake cut into the thin metal.

zoomed in cut intake

The original plan was to pipe the air through this cut intake from the bumper intake but i was so pleased with the initial result (not enough time to remove the light and get down into the void to route the pipe) that i think i'll leave well alone.

Hope this makes sense and the pics work!

Thanks Stu, much better......but now I see what looks like you have cut down the old air intake box and reattached part of it, adding a small filter, looks like a good idea mate.

Any possibility of a couple of clear shots of what you've done please? I'm sure others would be interested as I don't think this has been shown before here?

Keith

Thanks Stu, much better......but now I see what looks like you have cut down the old air intake box and reattached part of it, adding a small filter, looks like a good idea mate.

Any possibility of a couple of clear shots of what you've done please? I'm sure others would be interested as I don't think this has been shown before here?

Keith

Its a sheet of ali fabricated to cover most of the bare engine and hold the crankcase breather. Sprayed black with similar pinstripes to the original air box. The crank case breather just fits directly to the original tube turned upwards instead of feeding warm oily air back into the engine (makes sense to have one but i may be totally off the mark). I'll try to get better pics of this. Also the strut brace is a nice tight fit downwards onto the prolex kit's right angled hose out of the throttle body so makes it more secure.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links