Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If I Wanted To Fit Usb In, And Bluetooth (maybe Dab Later) Handsfree W

OK, I have an IS200 SE no nav 2001 with top load cd.

I'm getting error 1 on burned disks and most of my current music collection is either vinyl or mp3/download audio, which means burned discs.

I don't own an iPod I have an 8gig Samsung Omnia with a 16gig card that does A2DP.

Ideally what I would like to do is have the option to either play off the phone over Bluetooth, and do calls through the speakers on handsfree, or use a big semi permanently fitted USB stick (hidden away, but taken out to change tracks), and maybe later add an external dab tuner through the grom line in cable.

I'm thinking Grom USB cable adaptor into the external changer socket for the USB/AUX connector

and a decent Bluetooth handsfree like a Parrot with the relevant patch cable to go from Lexus connector -> ISO -> Parrot -> ISO -> Lexus connector.

But as it is an SE I have the amp, so can a parrot go through the amp OK without damaging anything.

Does it work out cheaper to do it this way instead of getting a new 2 din headunit with Bluetooth, fascia adaptor, amp bypass cable.

I imagine that there is similar amount of work in both, because while swapping out for the new double din means pulling the glove box and trim to get to the amp, there is only one cable to fit, and the unit needs to come out to fit a parrot kit and hide the Grom unit anyway.

Anyone got a cleaner simpler solution for adding to the existing system other than a cassette adaptor because I quite like the sound of the original system when the CD player works, but to get Absolute Radio I'm stuck with AM.

Cheers all.

OK, I have an IS200 SE no nav 2001 with top load cd.

I'm getting error 1 on burned disks and most of my current music collection is either vinyl or mp3/download audio, which means burned discs.

I don't own an iPod I have an 8gig Samsung Omnia with a 16gig card that does A2DP.

Ideally what I would like to do is have the option to either play off the phone over bluetooth, and do calls through the speakers on handsfree, or use a big semi permanently fitted USB stick (hidden away, but taken out to change tracks), and maybe later add an external dab tuner through the grom line in cable.

I'm thinking Grom USB cable adaptor into the external changer socket for the USB/AUX connector

and a decent bluetooth handsfree like a Parrot with the relevant patch cable to go from Lexus connector -> ISO -> Parrot -> ISO -> Lexus connector.

But as it is an SE I have the amp, so can a parrot go through the amp OK without damaging anything.

Does it work out cheaper to do it this way instead of getting a new 2 din headunit with bluetooth, fascia adaptor, amp bypass cable.

I imagine that there is similar amount of work in both, because while swapping out for the new double din means pulling the glove box and trim to get to the amp, there is only one cable to fit, and the unit needs to come out to fit a parrot kit and hide the Grom unit anyway.

Anyone got a cleaner simpler solution for adding to the existing system other than a cassette adaptor because I quite like the sound of the original system when the CD player works, but to get Absolute Radio I'm stuck with AM.

Cheers all.

the parrot mki9200 will be cheaper but soundquality will suffer.. this will cost around £250 if i remember correctly and if you can find somebody that will fit it in the lexus (some places refuse becuase of the amplified system)

your other option is a Double din HU but your looking at around £500 +fitting to get all the features you want with a good head unit.

if your not to fussedon teh HU you nay get all of this for under £500 but you will be sacrificing quality

Cheers Redz, I know I could go cheaper on the double din, but I mentioned budget chinese type stuff on here, the reaction I got was probably worse then if I declared sheep love.

TBH, running a parrot through the amp was probably my biggest worry doing it that way.

Cheers Redz, I know I could go cheaper on the double din, but I mentioned budget chinese type stuff on here, the reaction I got was probably worse then if I declared sheep love.

TBH, running a parrot through the amp was probably my biggest worry doing it that way.

The Parrot wouldn't have to go through the Amp, depends where you hook into in the loom. The "mute" cable essentially just cuts the stereo feed to the speakers and routes the Parrot output direct to the speakers. You could fit the Parrot on the "output" side of the amp and not worry about the amp at all. Would mean some cutting and splicing but it would still do the job. If you put an ISO connector in line, you can restore everything back to factory by just unplugging the Parrot.

lol..

i have never heard budget gear compared to sheeplove but can seethe comparsion its all baaaaaaaahhhd :tomato:

if your not fused about dvd then you can get some great HU that will accept ipod/usb and do BT prob for a lot less than you think..

HU

I have actually been looking at them.

DVDs full of MP3s rather than video would be nice but not essential.

It would just be a gimic. Don't suppose you can change the backlight to red/orange as an option can you. Or do I need to redo the dash. ;)

I have actually been looking at them.

DVDs full of MP3s rather than video would be nice but not essential.

It would just be a gimic. Don't suppose you can change the backlight to red/orange as an option can you. Or do I need to redo the dash. ;)

The Pioneer unit does play MP3, WMA etc, but only on CD as you might guess. Though you can fit a lot on a CD of course. It supports other USB device playback as well as having specific iPod integration. The Bluetooth seems to work very well on it combined with my Nokia phone. No, I'm afraid you're stuck with blue for the illumination, though you can change the dash to match as you say ! :)

I've got a Bluetooth kit that's similar to the parrot 9200 and it's brilliant. The sound quality is brilliant and it lets me connect my ipod, phone, sd card, usb etc.

It's the best option if you want to keep the dash looking the same as I did. Otherwise a headunit like Stevie's will be very good as well.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a thread resurection, I wanted to get my cambelt service and road tax out of the way.

That is done now which starts me on the next 6 months planning to save for something decent.

Still can't decide, but the missus has just ordered a Navigo V2+ sat nav from ebuyer. Apparently the turbodog nav software is crap, but tomtom can be installed as can iGo and it features a media player, Bluetooth and an fm transmitter to allow you to tune to a free frequency.

Might be a decent choice for £60 if it works for her, even though I have TomTom, Garmin XT and iGo 8 on the phone with built in GPS.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links