Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone.

I'm planning purchasing a 'Road Angel Professional Connected' speed camera detector.

http://www.road-angel.co.uk/road_angel_pro...l_connected.asp

Can anyone tell me if the windscreen of the IS250 SEL (2008) is UV protected as the manufacturers say this may interfere with the GPS signal. Also is the heating element for the wipers likely to interfere with the GPS or Laser detector?

I could downgrade to the model without the laser head, but I'm not to keen on the option of an externally mounted GPS antenna.

Hope you can help with info.

Cheers.

I'm sorry I can't actually help with your questions but let me know how you get on with it once you get it as I'm thinking of getting exactly the same device (the fact that it's "connected" is the main thing that I want!)

I don't think you'll have problems with the GPS signal, as I've used my snooper sapphire in an IS250 before without any problems but not sure about the laser detector.

Parthiban.

Always connected is what attracted me as well.

reganlives's Microfusion is worth a look though, and a great price! However, I don't think it has this feature.

fair enough its got some good features but whats stopping u just connecting ur detector up at home and updating it totally free of charge with no subscription charges? the best thing i found about the microfuzion was the free updates...i seriously cant fault the unit...updates are regular and it has warnings that are spot on...fixed camera, mobile, specs etc etc

Yes, I see your point and the Microfuzion is undoubtebly good.

The feature I was willing to pay that bit (?) extra for was the instant updates via the Road Angel's SIM card. Other user's spotting a mobile camera record the location with a single push on the remote control button. This updates the database and users device via the SIM card.

However, your views are sound and very helpful mate.

I'd recommend the microfuzion mate. Had mine ages now and its the best one around I think. check out www.microfuzion.co.uk

I will second that have had one for 3 years. Had a similar issue with relfective windscreen, got round it by using their magnetic windscreen mount which is a suction cup similar to Sat Nav holder that picks up the signal no problem, Costs an additional £14.99.

Never had any problem with mine, saved me on a couple of occasions, you can be driving along having idle chit chat with a passenger and forget about a speed camera that has been around for years and this wee thing bursts into life :)

I'd recommend the microfuzion mate. Had mine ages now and its the best one around I think. check out www.microfuzion.co.uk

I will second that have had one for 3 years. Had a similar issue with relfective windscreen, got round it by using their magnetic windscreen mount which is a suction cup similar to Sat Nav holder that picks up the signal no problem, Costs an additional £14.99.

Never had any problem with mine, saved me on a couple of occasions, you can be driving along having idle chit chat with a passenger and forget about a speed camera that has been around for years and this wee thing bursts into life :)

it does get annoying at times tho dont it ;) lol...

True, you're right steve, unfortunatly the microfuzion does warn u about cameras on the opposite side of the road as well but I think if you're looking for value for money then u cant go wrong really. In terms of updating etc, with it being free updates for life then I think in those terms it even beats its much more expensive competitors.

How did u know that anyway steve?

Edit: The unit works purely on its database and distance/location mapping i'm guessing so in this scenario, it will warn accordingly if a camera is within its warning radius. This is purely my theory though as after a lot of thinking I have come to the conclusion that camera detectors work on a kinda radar basis as they dont have actual mapping. Speed cameras are basically coordinates which are in a database and when the coordinates of a camera are within the "radar" area of a unit or its radius whatever it may be set at, then they automatically produce an alert...

True, you're right steve, unfortunatly the microfuzion does warn u about cameras on the opposite side of the road as well but I think if you're looking for value for money then u cant go wrong really. In terms of updating etc, with it being free updates for life then I think in those terms it even beats its much more expensive competitors.

Google :whistling:

I also found quite a few people complaining about bad customer service and lack of updates on them.

Hi everyone.

I'm planning purchasing a 'Road Angel Professional Connected' speed camera detector.

Can anyone tell me if the windscreen of the IS250 SEL (2008) is UV protected as the manufacturers say this may interfere with the GPS signal. Also is the heating element for the wipers likely to interfere with the GPS or Laser detector?

I could downgrade to the model without the laser head, but I'm not to keen on the option of an externally mounted GPS antenna.

Cheers.

I use a Road Angel in my Lexus without problem. I have the 9000 model which also has navigation or just camera mode and also has auto update, as my other car, a Volvo C30, doesnt have Sat Nav. Interestingly, it sometimes takes quite a long time in the Volvo to pick up a signal.

I beleive the Road Angel has the most up to date camera database and because of the auto updates you dont have to worry about pluggting into your PC.

Finally the heated elements at the base of the screen should cause no problem at all, as far as I'm aware only cars with UV reflecting glass have a problem, which I dont beleive Lexus use. The only issue with the Road Angel is that at times it can be a little tempremental and if driving through an area with possible multiple hazards in the same location the unit can go into information overload with a barrage of warning repeated over and over again.

Regards

Keith

Google :whistling:

I also found quite a few people complaining about bad customer service and lack of updates on them.

In all honesty steve I've been in touch with them a couple of times in the past and found their customer service to be not bad at all really. As for the updates, I've read in the past where people have complained but the problem is that they dont understand the system which the microfuzion employs. On the updates page at the bottom is normally a version number and a date, this version number is the firmware version and the date of it but what people think that this is the update date when actually its the date of the firmware whilst actually the definitions within are constantly updated so, basically, the firmware might not be updated for a while for whatever reason but the definitions/camera positions actually are.

The only one problem I've come across is that they're a bit slow on removing cameras from their definitions sometimes as for instance where theres been major roadworks for a period of time like at the end of the M56 they had cameras put up during the road works but they've been taken down now but one of the cameras still aint been removed from the database. I think that probably a lot of the companies consider it more important to concentrate on the adding of locations rather than removal and basically allocate removal of locations from the database at a later date so thats why they're a bit slow on that aspect as in all honesty, anyone would rather have locations added quickly I think which is more important and if there is a location which hasnt been removed yet then it doesnt really matter much.

Hi everyone.

Cheers.

I use a Road Angel in my Lexus without problem. I have the 9000 model which also has navigation or just camera mode and also has auto update, as my other car, a Volvo C30, doesnt have Sat Nav. Interestingly, it sometimes takes quite a long time in the Volvo to pick up a signal.

I beleive the Road Angel has the most up to date camera database and because of the auto updates you dont have to worry about pluggting into your PC.

Finally the heated elements at the base of the screen should cause no problem at all, as far as I'm aware only cars with UV reflecting glass have a problem, which I dont beleive Lexus use. The only issue with the Road Angel is that at times it can be a little tempremental and if driving through an area with possible multiple hazards in the same location the unit can go into information overload with a barrage of warning repeated over and over again.

Regards

Keith

Cheers Keith. That certainly helps with my concerns about an external antenna etc. And thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input so far.

Anyway, the plot thickens. I phoned Road Angel today hoping they might convince me whether to buy or not.

To put every one a bit more in the picture regarding my location in the Far, Far North my nearest Gatso is about 150 miles South of me (Yeah the joys of living in the sticks). The downside to this, is that my sworn enemy is the Mobile Laser b**t*rds!

Now, Road Angel reckon that I should go for the slightly cheaper by £35, Road Angel Professional Connected without the Laser detector, or, the even more slightly cheaper by another £45, Road Angel Professional which is not connected via a SIM and no Laser detector.

Confused? So was I, but here's the sting."You should have one of these as well":

http://www.road-angel.co.uk/laser_star.asp

Now if I didn't travel deep South to Central Scotland quite frequently, I might have had one of these and not bother with the Camera detector at all.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links