Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trd Lip Spoilers

I can't figure out some of the instructions for installing the TRD front and rear lip spoilers. I'm not actually planning to install them quite yet, I need to get them painted first, but just making sure I know what's involved.

Most of it is pretty straightforward, but it's the bits involving the supplied grey "protector" tape that have me puzzled.

I've scanned up a couple of pages of the instructions to show what I mean.

I don't really understand what step 2 is supposed to be about, referring to applying "protective film". Given that step 3 is talking about painting, is step 2 talking about putting something on the area where the grey tape will go, just to ensure that it doesn't get covered with paint, i.e. to help the tape stick properly ?

Step 4 really has me baffled. It says "Apply primer, wait until primer is dried up and apply double adhesive tape. Remove protective layer of tape and install protecter. Cut Protecter to correct length". What "primer" is it talking about ? And what "double adhesive tape" ? The supplied grey protector strip only has a sticky side on one side, not both. So I am guessing that this step is saying you have to use your own double-sided tape to stick down the supplied grey strip. This would leave the sticky side of the grey strip to stick against the bumper when you install the lip, as shown in step 13 (which talks about removing the protective side of the tape).

This seems kinda weird to me. Why isn't the grey protective strip supplied with two sticky sides ? It seems bizzare that you're expected to supply your own tape. Or am I missing something ?

I guess a lot of folks here may well have installed TRD lips that didn't come with the full fitting kit and perhaps have got hold of some double-sided sealant strip which didn't have this "problem" ?

Help ! :duh:

Lipinstall.png

Scan10044.png

the grey adhesive lipjust sticks to the lip you will need some double sided applicator tape.make sure its good stuff!you can also use flexible adhesive.

i used this in some places and it has stuck better with it.. eBay item: 320082844975

When you do a test fit of the front skirt a lot of it will come clear mate, where they mention the primer i think it means to prepare the surface for the double sided tape to stick to, which is what i did using white spirit to remove any wax/polish from the mounting area of the bumper and to give it a good clean surface to stick to? I never had the fiting kit with mine so just used a good 3M VHB double sided tape which worked a treat :)

Thanks guys. So has anyone actually fitted the lip(s) with the original fitting kit ?

It seems very very strange to me that the supplied grey strip has only a single sticky side. It would make much more sense if it was double-sided like the 3M VHB that you mention Chris. What's the point of supplying this stuff when you still need something else ? :duh:

Thanks guys. So has anyone actually fitted the lip(s) with the original fitting kit ?

It seems very very strange to me that the supplied grey strip has only a single sticky side. It would make much more sense if it was double-sided like the 3M VHB that you mention Chris. What's the point of supplying this stuff when you still need something else ? :duh:

When I got mine fitted side skirts & front lip the body shop did not use the grey tape, well mine was black :lol:

They fitted them then they used some kind of bonding adhesive. You would be able to see the tape a bit so it did not make much difference, and the adhesive is less noticable.

When I got mine fitted side skirts & front lip the body shop did not use the grey tape, well mine was black :lol:

They fitted them then they used some kind of bonding adhesive. You would be able to see the tape a bit so it did not make much difference, and the adhesive is less noticable.

the rear one shouldn't need stuck on!!!!!!!if you remove the rear bumper you will see outlines(circles)you drill those out and the lip has screw holes in it you line up the holes on the skirt to the holes you've drilled and put ten mm bolts in then tighten skirt fitted.oh the grey seal your talking about is just a weather seal its only ment to stick to the skirt.if you look at the pic below you'll see the 10mm bolts.

p3005091656.jpg

the rear one shouldn't need stuck on!!!!!!!if you remove the rear bumper you will see outlines(circles)you drill those out and the lip has screw holes in it you line up the holes on the skirt to the holes you've drilled

So there are already templates for where the holes should go ? Cool ! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links