Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Camber Adjustment

Pat Quinn

Hi all,

I am a new member and we run two 1998 LS400's. Both absolutely fantastic vehicles with the textbook 'magic carpet' ride and phenomenal reliability.

At its M.O.T. one of them showed excessive tyre wear on the inner edge of the rear nearside tyre.

I put the car into a reputable Company in Worthing that has the state of the art tracking equipment, who said that they could not adjust the settings because the bolts had siezed up. I returned the car to my mechanic who insisted that both adjusters were free and demonstrated the fact to me.

Back to the Company in Worthing who still insist that they are seized and they mark the offending bolt with a chalk mark.

Back to the mechanic who once again demonstrates that the bolt moves but decides to replace it with a new one anyway.

For those of you who have access to a Lexus parts display diagram these are bolts 48190R & 48198R which shows an exploded diagram of an offside suspension system.

These bolts have a large cam on the head and nestle down in a recessed area on the subframe. When you adjust them the cam strikes the side of the subframe and the resulting pressure moves the arm that it is linked to thereby adjusting the wheel.

Back to the Company in Worthing who insist that the problem is that as the mechanic tries to adjust the bolt, it rides up over the subframe negating any adjustment he tries to make. Obviously this looks ludicrous and comparison with our second LS400 shows no difference in the set up whatsoever.

It is now booked in to Lexus Portslade who also find the problem hard to explain but obviously need to see the car and the problems before pronouncing judgement.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Hi all,

I am a new member and we run two 1998 LS400's. Both absolutely fantastic vehicles with the textbook 'magic carpet' ride and phenomenal reliability.

At its M.O.T. one of them showed excessive tyre wear on the inner edge of the rear nearside tyre.

No but I had my LS alignment checked / adjusted by a Lexus forum company recommended workshop with no problems, I don't recall the name but they were in Watford area. My LS400 also had front inside tyre wear

yes it an issue on some cars -can be solved by not loosening the bolt too much or if that fails check the edge if the lip is at 90 degrees so the cam cant ride up over it....

other option is to get a bit of weld on the edge

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links