Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have just spent the last two days reading extensively in this forum and have found it immensely useful. Its great that you have this owners forum and the passion for your Lexus is very evident. I hope to be a fellow Lexus owner soon and it is in this regard I am seeking advice.

A company LS430, 2004 registered has come up for sale at my office. Its got full Lexus service hsitory, was serviced about 8000 miles ago and from the looks of it is running quite well! The big downside is that it has clocked 180,000 miles in 5 and a half years (thats over a 100 miles a day!!). Ive done the rounds on the internet but just cant seem to be able to value the car with this age and that kind of mileage accurately. So I have a bunch of questions:

1. Is the car worth buying given the high mileage (from some of the discussions in the forum I gather that the Lexus is good for 300 K + miles, so that shouldnt be a problem - but would appreciate your opinion)

2. What is a reasonable value for the car? (The car is being auctioned by sealed bid and my angst is over bidding the right amount)

3. Is there a checklist of things that I should look for? (I've seen the car and it looks brilliant - fell in love with it to be honest. Am having a closer look Monday morning)

4. Given the mileage is there some major change or rehaul I need to expect and budget for in the near future?

Appreciate your time and help!

Regs, N

I have just spent the last two days reading extensively in this forum and have found it immensely useful. Its great that you have this owners forum and the passion for your Lexus is very evident. I hope to be a fellow Lexus owner soon and it is in this regard I am seeking advice.

A company LS430, 2004 registered has come up for sale at my office. Its got full Lexus service hsitory, was serviced about 8000 miles ago and from the looks of it is running quite well! The big downside is that it has clocked 180,000 miles in 5 and a half years (thats over a 100 miles a day!!). Ive done the rounds on the internet but just cant seem to be able to value the car with this age and that kind of mileage accurately. So I have a bunch of questions:

1. Is the car worth buying given the high mileage (from some of the discussions in the forum I gather that the Lexus is good for 300 K + miles, so that shouldnt be a problem - but would appreciate your opinion)

2. What is a reasonable value for the car? (The car is being auctioned by sealed bid and my angst is over bidding the right amount)

3. Is there a checklist of things that I should look for? (I've seen the car and it looks brilliant - fell in love with it to be honest. Am having a closer look Monday morning)

4. Given the mileage is there some major change or rehaul I need to expect and budget for in the near future?

Appreciate your time and help!

Regs, N

deja vu

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=61135

I'd canvas round the office and jokingly ask what people think - chances are most people will run a mile at a 4.3L V8 car thats done 180k - and you might get it for an absolute song.

sealed bid is a pain though.

Parkers says about 9k with 50k on the clock I assume its got FDSH. then adjust for mileage. Autotrader has one a 2003 at 110k for £7.5k

I'd go in stupid low something like 4-5k and if you win your quids in - get it lpg'd and your laughing.

If it drives well and is clean etc, then remember. It has been doing 30k per year over 5 years. How? By sitting with a warm engine on Motorway all day every day. In a straight line, in one gear. perfect used car I would say.

Give it a good looking over, check condition of oil and make sure no leaks. Does all electric things work.

If it has full Lexus history, buy it! Even £6k is a bargain for what you get.

I'd be more concerned about the suspension, at 180k the suspension will be tired. Remember the LS430 is a big/heavy car.

I'd be more concerned about the suspension, at 180k the suspension will be tired. Remember the LS430 is a big/heavy car.

two factors though -

one is that age is on its side so many niggley things that happen with 'old' cars shouldn't happen

- I'd be more worried at a 15 year old car with 180kmiles than a 5 year old one.

secondly with those amounts of miles the hardest terrain its probably done is the gravel drive on the way to the golf club.

Motorway miles are easy miles - I'd be happier having a car thats done an average 15k than one done 1k per year -

Hi Neal,

It looks like you and I work for the same company, name beginning with C does it? :) . It is indeed a nice car, I posted to this forum a week or so ago (To Bid or Not to Bid) as I am/was interested in the car too.

I drove it and checked most of the buttons which all seemed to work, shame about the camera! I do know that the front tyres are being replaced which is a plus.

I still haven't decided if I will bid as it is way more of a car than I need in my particular situation. I ride a motorbike for most of the year to the train station for my commute, but come the winter I will need 4 wheels. This car just happens to have ignited my love for cars and technology.

Good luck!

Hi everyone, Thank you for your helpful advice.

Kam05, seems your concerns about the suspension were bang-on, I was told there is an advisory on 'a couple' of the suspension bushes. Further research on this forum seems to indicate that you cant just change bushes on the LS 430 - the entire arm needs to be replaced. I read somewhere that it costs £350 a corner!

markuk - we do work for the same company! :) I've recently moved to the UK and have been looking for a car to explore the countryside on weekends (I walk to work). I am passionate about driving and like you am a sucker for technology. I fell for the Lexus when I saw it! I guess we need to work out what is the best bid given that it will need the cambelt / water pump change as well as the possible suspension work. Good luck!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links