Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Got My Decals

Yipeeeee, my lexus decals arrived today. What do I need to do to put them on to the calipers. Do I really need a heat gun? or, Will a hair drier do? I don't want to mess things up by doing it all wrong. I got ten decals, so Ican afford to make maybe a couple of mistakes, but, don't really want to...

So, If a have a few left, I can send em to anyone who wants the spare ones.. (for nowt)....

Col.... :winky: :winky: :hehe:

why would you need to heat them up ?

usually you just stick them on, a quick coat of laqueur afterwards gives them some protection

Sure I saw a walkthrough where a heat gun was used? maybe a different type of decal??? Anyhoo, I'm off to stick em on now and coat them in laquer as you say.

Ta mate..

Col.... :winky: :)

Good luck Col, post some pic's up when your finished ;)

Jeesh, I must be a numpty!! 1st wheel off.

Caliper cleaned and dried.

White protective bit peeled off

Sticky bit with logo applied.

Tried to peel off sticky bit to leave chrome Lexus logo on.

Chrome logo doesn't stick??

Messed one up... Do I leave the sticky plastic cover bit on and laquer over that???

Heeeeeeeeellllpppp pleaze..

Col.. :blush::blush::blush:

Sorry mate, can't help, i haven't got them.

Saved.. found the walkthrough showing decal bits. My goodness I never new a hairdryer could be so useful,,, (cause I got little hair!! Hee Hee).

Col.. :winky: :blush: :D

Not necessary but I used a hairdryer to heat up both the caliper and the decal before applying them as it makes them stick a bit nicer.

Peel off the back first, keeping the decal on the front plastic - apply firmly to the caliper putting pressure all over the decal. When you're happy it's on firmly, then gently peel off the front plastic.

Then a few coats of lacquer should keep them on nice, but a lot of people have never used any lacquer and it's stayed on fine.

Not necessary but I used a hairdryer to heat up both the caliper and the decal before applying them as it makes them stick a bit nicer.

Peel off the back first, keeping the decal on the front plastic - apply firmly to the caliper putting pressure all over the decal. When you're happy it's on firmly, then gently peel off the front plastic.

Then a few coats of lacquer should keep them on nice, but a lot of people have never used any lacquer and it's stayed on fine.

Decals on.. looked good. Sprayed laquer on and.... guess what??????.. the f@kin hammerite has creased!!! Only seen this once when acrylic paint applied to normal housey gloss paint.... a bit p@ssed off. Maybe something to do with using Halfrauds laquer spray. grrrrrrrrrr.

Col :crybaby::crybaby::blush::blush::tomato: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Where you using Hammerite smooth and the standard Halfords clear lacquer? That's exactly what I used and had no problems............was the paint absolutely dry before you did the decals and lacquer? Think I actually left mine for a day or two after painting before putting the decals and lacquer on.

Where you using Hammerite smooth and the standard Halfords clear lacquer? That's exactly what I used and had no problems............was the paint absolutely dry before you did the decals and lacquer? Think I actually left mine for a day or two after painting before putting the decals and lacquer on.

Yep, hammerite smooth and Halfrauds standard clear laquer. The paint should've been dry as I did them a couple of days ago. I must be jinxed. Just wondering if the caliper was still warm after putting the decals on, then spraying on the laquer might've been the culprit???

Yep, hammerite smooth and Halfrauds standard clear laquer. The paint should've been dry as I did them a couple of days ago. I must be jinxed. Just wondering if the caliper was still warm after putting the decals on, then spraying on the laquer might've been the culprit???

Where you doing it inside? If not I doubt it in this weather, they cool down again pretty quick. I did mine on a warm sunny day.......seems odd, was the paint coat or the lacquer coat particularly thick?

Where you doing it inside? If not I doubt it in this weather, they cool down again pretty quick. I did mine on a warm sunny day.......seems odd, was the paint coat or the lacquer coat particularly thick?

Two coats of hammerite only mate. Outside, reasonable weather... ????????????????

Two coats of hammerite only mate. Outside, reasonable weather... ????????????????

Sorry really don't know what to say then except try again.........hope it works next time :)

Mine turned out like this doing exactly the same as you've described.....

277807451.jpg

Decals on.. looked good. Sprayed laquer on and.... guess what??????.. the f@kin hammerite has creased!!! Only seen this once when acrylic paint applied to normal housey gloss paint.... a bit p@ssed off. Maybe something to do with using Halfrauds laquer spray. grrrrrrrrrr.

Sounds like you have a reaction between 2 non-compatable paints, I'm sorry to hear that Col, as if it looks really bad the only way round it is to strip it off & start all over, sorry bud :huh:

Sounds like you have a reaction between 2 non-compatable paints, I'm sorry to hear that Col, as if it looks really bad the only way round it is to strip it off & start all over, sorry bud :huh:

To quote from "Father Ted"...... FEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Col :angry:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links